NA to Asia via Europe or Europe via Asia?

Old Feb 27, 15, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

I've done a cursory search but can't quickly find the answer: may I book an award ticket YVR-PEK(stop)-CDG for 57.5K in business? Or would it be end on end pricing YVR-PEK (70K) plus PEK-CDG (75K) for 145K total? In essence, can you travel via either the Atlantic or the Pacific from NA to Europe? Thanks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 28, 15 at 6:11 pm Reason: moved from "simple questions" thread to avoid cross-posting
Old Feb 27, 15, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
may I book an award ticket YVR-PEK(stop)-CDG for 57.5K in business? Or would it be end on end pricing YVR-PEK (70K) plus PEK-CDG (75K) for 145K total?
There are no stopovers allowed on one-way awards, so you would have to redeem two.
Old Feb 28, 15, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
There are no stopovers allowed on one-way awards, so you would have to redeem two.
If I booked the itinerary round trip (adding CDG-YVR), would I be able to do the mentioned outbound (YVR-PEK(stop)-CDG) for NA-Europe roundtrip award pricing?
Old Feb 28, 15, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

NA to Asia via Europe or Europe via Asia?

Kindly request some advice: I would like to travel from YVR-PEK(stop)-CDG(stop)-YVR. It seems this could be construed as a round trip to either Europe or Asia, if travel is permitted via either direction.

Europe: YVR-PEK(stop)-CDG outbound, CDG-YVR return; 115K roundtrip

Asia: YVR-PEK outbound, PEK-CDG(stop)-YVR return; 140K roundtrip

Is it a round trip with stopover to Europe or is it a round trip with stopover from Asia? Are these permissible routings via the Pacific then the Atlantic? I cannot get the website to price it; I get an error message.

Thank you for any assistance.
Old Feb 28, 15, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've never seen north America to Asia to Europe price as an award to Europe (it should price as an award to Asia).
Old Feb 28, 15, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
Kindly request some advice: I would like to travel from YVR-PEK(stop)-CDG(stop)-YVR. It seems this could be construed as a round trip to either Europe or Asia, if travel is permitted via either direction.

Europe: YVR-PEK(stop)-CDG outbound, CDG-YVR return; 115K roundtrip

Asia: YVR-PEK outbound, PEK-CDG(stop)-YVR return; 140K roundtrip

Is it a round trip with stopover to Europe or is it a round trip with stopover from Asia? Are these permissible routings via the Pacific then the Atlantic? I cannot get the website to price it; I get an error message.

Thank you for any assistance.
My recollection is that crossing both Atlantic and Pacific is not permitted as a round-trip award. It is considered an "around-the-world" routing.
Old Feb 28, 15, 8:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
My recollection is that crossing both Atlantic and Pacific is not permitted as a round-trip award. It is considered an "around-the-world" routing.
While some agents seem to believe this, there is no such restriction. It is regularly reported that some have made two ocean bookings via the website and on the phone.
Old Feb 28, 15, 9:12 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
OP: It is my experience that you will not be able to go NA-Asia-EU on an award booking. Not allowed. Good luck, and let us know if you are successful.
Old Mar 1, 15, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb
I've done it many times both as a one way or round trip. It prices as a NA-ASIA or reverse trip at 70K for J. I don't think you are allowed stopovers on a one way. You can travel as I had done before HKG-BKK-FRA-JFK all for 70 or 80K depending on the class of travel and if that kind of 3 stop 30 hour trip tickles your fancy.
Old Mar 2, 15, 11:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
I've booked such routing last week. I too had the same question prior. I guess the point is to not make a fuss. If an agent rejects, just hang up and try again.

Search this Thread