Wiki Posts
Search

Underseat space on EMB 170/175

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
Underseat space on EMB 170/175

In a little over a week I am flying LAX/SFO/STL and returning STL/IAH/LAX.
In F, with a carryon pet. The pet has logged a lot of miles, but all on mainline flights, and all in E+. When a GA starts in with "oh, I don't know if that will fit" and I'm boarding a 320 or anything Boeing, I have absolute confidence our carrier will fit, I can slide my messenger bag alongside the pet carrier under the seat, and relax and have a nice flight. I've never flown these two RJ's in any cabin by myself or with the animal, so I don't have that same brass confidence.

What is the underseat space like? SFO/STL is on the 175, STL/IAH is on a 170. In both cases I'm on the 2-seat side in F, up against the window. The pet carrier does meet UA's rules for size, and the top can flex down a few inches without interfering with the animal's comfort, but I need to know if it's going to fit or not!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Shouldn't be a problem. You may have to place any other carryon in the overhead, but IME the underseat space on the E170/175 is fine and comparable to mainline.

That said, I've never used a pet carrier on Express--just mainline, from the Airbus twins to 757s to 747s--but IME my laptop bag fits more easily on the E170/175 than it does on several mainline planes (e.g. 737s).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by mezzowithcorigis
In a little over a week I am flying LAX/SFO/STL and returning STL/IAH/LAX.
In F, with a carryon pet. The pet has logged a lot of miles, but all on mainline flights, and all in E+. When a GA starts in with "oh, I don't know if that will fit" and I'm boarding a 320 or anything Boeing, I have absolute confidence our carrier will fit, I can slide my messenger bag alongside the pet carrier under the seat, and relax and have a nice flight. I've never flown these two RJ's in any cabin by myself or with the animal, so I don't have that same brass confidence.

What is the underseat space like? SFO/STL is on the 175, STL/IAH is on a 170. In both cases I'm on the 2-seat side in F, up against the window. The pet carrier does meet UA's rules for size, and the top can flex down a few inches without interfering with the animal's comfort, but I need to know if it's going to fit or not!
You should be fine. The space is pretty descent as there isn't any entertainment boxes under these seats. The 175 does have a power outlet, but it doesn't take up the space under the seat some other planes.

Just make sure you either get the A or D seat in F, as the C seat in F usually has the foot bar right in the middle of the C seat.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dank0014
You should be fine. The space is pretty descent as there isn't any entertainment boxes under these seats. The 175 does have a power outlet, but it doesn't take up the space under the seat some other planes.

Just make sure you either get the A or D seat in F, as the C seat in F usually has the foot bar right in the middle of the C seat.
I was just going to mention the foot bar ^
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Excellent! Thanks for the answers. I'm in 2D on both of these segments. Sounds like I might have more trouble with IAH/LAX on a 737 in 2A. I know the carrier fits in Economy on the 737s... Is there an electronics box in F to worry about?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:49 am

2A should be fine on a 737. I'm sitting in 2E on a 739 right now, and can see both 2A and 2F have plenty of underwear space. 2C and 2E (the aisles) have bars in the middle, so the carrier will need to go sideways in the share space between the aisle and window if possible.

Not sure if it's the same on the 738s, but IME the window seats are usually fine in F.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by exerda
2A should be fine on a 737. I'm sitting in 2E on a 739 right now, and can see both 2A and 2F have plenty of underwear space. 2C and 2E (the aisles) have bars in the middle, so the carrier will need to go sideways in the share space between the aisle and window if possible.

Not sure if it's the same on the 738s, but IME the window seats are usually fine in F.
Underwear space too?! That's a change I like!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Underwear space too?! That's a change I like!
Blame autocorrect for that one...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Blame autocorrect for that one...
Ha! Love it. I don't love SFO/STL on an RJ though. Ouch.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

Ditto the 757s in F.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Ditto the 757s in F.
That's interesting, because United's "official" policy is no in-cabin pets in F on the 757 due to "lack of underseat space". I've never tried it, but we've done the pet in E+ on that plane a lot, and it's a glorious fit... I can use a larger pet carrier with wheels, and it fits completely under the E+seat without any squishing, with room for my messenger bag too!

I'm not loving the idea of the SFO/STL leg in the 175, but that was the least awful solution I could find. At least I got into F.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:11 pm

I've had no problems with pets in F on the 757 FWIW. The phone agent on one occasion did claim the computer was rejecting her, but for it worked out. I think it rejects aisle seats when adding a pet.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Can someone chime in about row 7... EMB175
interested if there is an actual bulkhead or curtain? Any room for a laptop bag?
thanks
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zxsuxr
Can someone chime in about row 7... EMB175
interested if there is an actual bulkhead or curtain? Any room for a laptop bag?
thanks
there is a "solid" divider with an opening sufficient for a small item (like many laptop bag or small backpack).
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
there is a "solid" divider with an opening sufficient for a small item (like many laptop bag or small backpack).
thanks^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.