FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA changed my flight after my 1K status expired. What happens to my seats? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1658257-ua-changed-my-flight-after-my-1k-status-expired-what-happens-my-seats.html)

arrosen Feb 26, 2015 9:24 am

UA changed my flight after my 1K status expired. What happens to my seats?

Hi

I booked a flight while I was 1K for me and my family and selected E+ seats for all 5 of us. United has now changed the flight, and did not reinstate the same seats. Now when I go to select seats, I can only get 2 E+ seats (as I am now only a lowly Gold :( ).

What is their policy in this situation? If I call, will they give me the 5 E+ seats back?

Thanks!

lhrsfo Feb 26, 2015 9:52 am

Your status counts when you fly, not when you book (except as it relates to award availability). Therefore you are SOL.

Often1 Feb 26, 2015 9:58 am

It is your status on the date a given segment is flown. Unfortunately, this only gets picked up when a change is made for any reason, including, as here, by UA.

arrosen Feb 26, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for the clarification. Luckily it is only from IAH to MSY!

mduell Feb 26, 2015 10:33 am

UA policy is you only get E+ seats/other perks you're entitled to based on status on day of travel.

WineCountryUA Feb 26, 2015 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 24419486)
UA policy is you only get E+ seats/other perks you're entitled to based on status on day of travel.

True but try calling -- you might just get a sympathetic agent and get lucky.

jewels421 Feb 26, 2015 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 24419992)
True but try calling -- you might just get a sympathetic agent and get lucky.

Agreed. I might play dumb -- we were all in E+ together but then UA changed our flights and I'm not able to put us all in E+ together, can you help? Small chance of success, probably, but can't hurt to try.

Baze Feb 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by jewels421 (Post 24420111)
Agreed. I might play dumb -- we were all in E+ together but then UA changed our flights and I'm not able to put us all in E+ together, can you help? Small chance of success, probably, but can't hurt to try.

As Gold is only entitled to bring 1 companion into E+, the only way you can bring the others in is to pay the E+ fee. Sorry. As others have stated it is status on date of travel that counts and I hope they don't break the rules for you and give you something for free you are not entitled to. As packed as planes are these days and Silvers have to wait to get E+ you could be taking seats from people who would have paid or otherwise are entitled to.

Soccerdad1995 Feb 26, 2015 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by jewels421 (Post 24420111)

I don't know if I'd say that it "couldn't hurt". If there are other segments on this itin, the agent could identify that you were properly dropped out of E+, and then go ahead and adjust your seats on the other segments as well.

Not sure of the likelihood on this, but it's probably greater than 0%.

jewels421 Feb 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995 (Post 24420896)
I don't know if I'd say that it "couldn't hurt". If there are other segments on this itin, the agent could identify that you were properly dropped out of E+, and then go ahead and adjust your seats on the other segments as well.

Not sure of the likelihood on this, but it's probably greater than 0%.

Good point. If this is your outbound, I'd leave it alone -- if it's the return, I'd wait until you've flown the outbound to call.

I can't get too worked up about the "something for free you're not entitled to" aspect of this. Maybe if UA's systems automatically dropped you down to E- once your status dropped, I would feel differently. But... eh... OP was already getting something he/she wasn't entitled to because the E+ seat assignments "stick" (should OP have voluntarily dropped 3 family members down to E- just because their status has dropped, to be morally "pure" here?). I doubt calling in will work, but hey, if UA makes an exception, they make an exception.