Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Empty F seats even with CPU [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Empty F seats even with CPU [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by rowenb
I’m on UA 6047, MSP-IAD, right now (Monday evening). E175, door closed with 5 empty seats out of 12, with nobody left on the upgrade list. Then the flight attendant moved 3 passengers up to first; not immediately clear why or how they were chosen.
May have been UA employees...? Seat map today still shows 5 empty seats. I bet this may be the case.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by rowenb
I’m on UA 6047, MSP-IAD, right now (Monday evening). E175, door closed with 5 empty seats out of 12, with nobody left on the upgrade list. Then the flight attendant moved 3 passengers up to first; not immediately clear why or how they were chosen.
Could also have been a weight and balance issue.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seenitall
Could also have been a weight and balance issue.
Don't passengers usually get moved backwards with weight and balance issues?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by fumje
In this case, the front of the plane would have been light with Y being mostly full. This could be the case.......
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
My experience is that it can be either way. And it depends both on where the pax are initially seated, and it which hold certain baggage is loaded.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
In this case, the front of the plane would have been light with Y being mostly full. This could be the case.......
My experience is that it can be either way. And it depends both on where the pax are initially seated, and it which hold certain baggage is loaded.
OK, I haven't seen it happen that the aircraft is too tailheavy — but there can always be something new to see!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
OK, I haven't seen it happen that the aircraft is too tailheavy — but there can always be something new to see!
Not quite the same but "Tail Tipping" on UA aircraft -- why, prevention, experiences, ....
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not quite what I had in mind but also waiting to see that in person.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I definitely saw one couple moved forward from Y to J on a erj175 earlier this year. I do not know where in Y they were seated but they ended up in 4CD (I was in 4A). It was CRP>IAH and it was due to weight and balance because the FA made an announcement stating she needed "two people from behind row xx to volunteer to be reseated for w&b purposes". It was only after this couple agreed that she told them where they were moving to. The lady was VERY excited and I overheard her say to her husband how they had never flown first. We made an "air cheers" with our PDBs across the aisle.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
agreed.

10+ years ago, I used to frequently ( 1-2 x per month) fly on the last CVG-ORD of the night - usually around 8 or 8:30 pm, on a CR7. While it came in full, going back out to ORD we usually only had a few on board - between 7 and 15 passengers typically, IIRC. Usually, everyone was asked to move into E+. On a particularly empty flight, there were 7 of us, with the captain inviting everyone who wanted to sit in F sit there.

On CR2s, on the other hand, I’ve often heard requests for someone in one of the first 4 or so rows to move to the back row. And another time, on a Dash 8, back on CVG-CLE when that still operated, we all got asked to move to the very back. Remember that flight well - I think there were only 3 or 4 of us on board, and it was Good Friday.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
In case anybody needed another data point to prove that normal people stick around New Orleans all weekend, UA 2371 MSY-IAD left with three of 12 seats open in F Saturday evening. I half expected to hear the FAs try to sell the remaining three after the entire, very short upgrade list had cleared by a few hours before this 5:50 departure, but instead some people up front got a little more personal space.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCA writer
In case anybody needed another data point to prove that normal people stick around New Orleans all weekend, UA 2371 MSY-IAD left with three of 12 seats open in F Saturday evening. I half expected to hear the FAs try to sell the remaining three after the entire, very short upgrade list had cleared by a few hours before this 5:50 departure, but instead some people up front got a little more personal space.
Yes, the non hub Sat flights can definitely go out with empty seats. I flew BZN - LAX back in July, Sat 4pm flight and it went out with 5 open seats in the ERJ-175. Got upgraded for me and my son at exactly the 48 hour Gold upgrade window
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Saturday 11/23 the 7:30 AM RDU-EWR 737-800 had an empty F seat, no upgrade list, and two uniformed commuting FAs in First. Felt like last decade
tstauck likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
UA248 ORD-LAX 753

6 seats empty even after all were upgraded:

my 3B seat mate:

David
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
19th LIH-SFO empty. F had about 5 open seats 757 lie flats. Such a short flight I barely slept even after skipping all services.. I was fortunate as I was flying out of HNL that evening on a full 777 which was delayed. Canceled my HA inter island and moved to the LIH flight. Enjoyed a super late check out from the GH Kauai
LIH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.