Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

whether to seek miles credit if last segment not flown?

Old Feb 21, 15, 6:25 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Seeking some practical advice from you all --

If I have a one-way 2-segment itinerary which was purchased without my UA # attached, and I flew the first leg, but did not fly the second leg -- would you seek to get the miles credited after the trip?

More to the point, would this raise any questions in the system by doing this? People have stated that if you drop a leg, the system may notice and flag your account as a warning or something like that, and someone who does this frequently could be penalized. Just wondering if the claiming of miles is worth any account issues.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 15, 7:33 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
There seems to be a very difficult situation going on here. You are a 1K, so you ought to know by now to check your BP for your MP # to make sure you are in boarding group 1.

You took a flight without attaching your MP # to the reservation. Then you dropped the second leg. Now you are asking about submitting a request for miles for the flight you took.

Unless you had a very compelling reason for not taking the second leg, I think UA may look on this situation with some questions as to (1) why your MP # was not with the reservation, or boarding pass. Then (2) they will have questions about why you did not take the second leg. They may accuse you of trying to pull a fast one, and may reduce your status to Zero P, and may take all your earned mileage away. (especially if the cost of your ticket between A &C via B was less than the cost of a ticket from A to B). You can be banned from opening up another MP account. You would have the burden of proof to make your case.

Last edited by mkr; Feb 21, 15 at 7:41 am Reason: Clarity
Old Feb 21, 15, 7:39 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Presuming this is not something you make a habit of, I think it would be better to have your MP# in the record (for the 1K bennies) and simply not take the second flight. There is far less opportunity of UA to take any "special interest" in your situation particularly after the first leg's miles have auto-posted.

And on the very small chance that you were asked about it after the fact, you can simply say you were "unable" to make that flight. That's not exactly a prevarication.....

But, unless you make it a habit to do this and come to the computer's attention, it's just much less obvious to do this with your MP # in the record so as to warrant no human looking at your itinerary after the fact.
Old Feb 21, 15, 8:13 am
TA
Original Poster

Interesting, and thank you for the info.

I had left off the MP # somewhat on purpose, thinking that it would cause *less* attention if I did not have to take the 2nd flight (since they would never associate the ticket with my account without the MP#).

But you are suggesting it would have been somewhat automatically ok if I had kept it on, and may generate more attention if I retroactively request the miles now...

Last edited by TA; Feb 21, 15 at 8:37 am
Old Feb 21, 15, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by TA View Post
Interesting, and thank you for the info.

I had left off the MP # somewhat on purpose, thinking that it would cause *less* attention if I did not have to take the 2nd flight (since they would never associate the ticket with my account without the MP#).

But you are suggesting it would have been somewhat automatically ok if I had kept it on, and may generate more attention if I retroactively request the miles now...
I think that is correct to assume.
Old Feb 21, 15, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
UA is not going to care about the 2nd leg not being flown. Just don't try to get credit for the 2nd leg.

Now, if you made a habit of it, sure, be worried. But UA isn't going to go after you and refare your ticket and close your MP account because you missed the final segment on an itinerary.

And FWIW, even without your MP #, unless you have a common name, they already know it's you. They have your full name, birthday, form of payment, ticket #, etc. It is trivial to associate that back to a single identity in the vast majority of cases.

Last edited by exerda; Feb 21, 15 at 1:02 pm
Old Feb 21, 15, 3:12 pm
TA
Original Poster

Is it possible to request credit for the first leg and not the 2nd?

It's only ~1500 miles so no huge loss, just trying to weigh the risks...
Old Feb 21, 15, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TA View Post
Is it possible to request credit for the first leg and not the 2nd?

It's only ~1500 miles so no huge loss, just trying to weigh the risks...
Sure. You can request credit for just the segment. Probably easier to fax a copy of your BP stub and a short note explaining you forgot to put your MP # on the reservation.

Search this Thread