Is United First worth $xxx upgrade fee?

Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JBord
It really comes down to personal value. By the way, your time on the plane may be 4.5 hours, but likely flight time is closer to 3.0 - 3.5, if that matters to you at all.

I recently paid about the same for a 4 hour flight from ORD-SEA. The ONLY reason I consider paying for an upgrade on domestic flights is for the bigger more comfortable seat. As a previous poster mentioned, if you're going to check bags, it will offset the cost of the upgrade by a little too.

I wouldn't even consider things like meals. They're not very good, and chances are you'll still have to bring on your own food for the kids anyway. Usually I buy something better in the airport even when there's a meal on my flight.

In terms of your original question, I would say if I saw a F ticket for SAN-IAH for $352 (your 233 + 119) I would jump all over it!
the new meals are actually pretty decent IMO. You can add free Direct TV (if a 738/9) to the list of benis (check the aircraft).
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
the new meals are actually pretty decent IMO. You can add free Direct TV (if a 738/9) to the list of benis (check the aircraft).
Good point on the TV. Although the new meals are better (I've only tried them twice), I still prefer to bring on my own. We can agree to disagree on that one, its personal preference.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The upgrade is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Microeconomics 1A.

Originally Posted by JBord
The ONLY reason I consider paying for an upgrade on domestic flights is for the bigger more comfortable seat. As a previous poster mentioned, if you're going to check bags, it will offset the cost of the upgrade by a little too.

I wouldn't even consider things like meals. They're not very good, and chances are you'll still have to bring on your own food for the kids anyway. Usually I buy something better in the airport even when there's a meal on my flight.
+1
UA food is horrible, especially on domestic routes.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Can't answer the question because none of us know what $119 x 4 means to you. If $476 is what your bar tab after work, it's worth it. If it's the delinquency which will cause your mortgage to be foreclosed it's not. Only you know where you fit inbetween.

For what it's worth, the flight is blocked at approx. 3:10 (you may not have considered the time difference) and as a rough gauge, the difference between the generally available lowest fare in Y ($222) and fare which books directly into FC is approx. $170. If you subtract what you paid per ticket from $392, you will have a # to compare to your $119 UG offer. Doesn't tell you that it's good value and it's an approximation.

Me, I would jump at this. But, that's me.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Often1

Me, I would jump at this. But, that's me.
I would as well.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
...UA food is horrible, especially on domestic routes.
You think the new food is "horrible"? I've had choices from the new breakfast, lunch, dinner offerings, as well as a pre-arrival snack, and I think they are vast improvements. I ordered the egg quesadilla with extreme reservations, but it ended up being a lot better than expected - I think my mind was set on "dismal". "Horrible" is a bit harsh relative to other airlines' domestic food. Still - hardly should be a sole reason to upgrade. $119x4 seems like a waste of money for a 2 1/2 hour flight. That $500 can buy some mighty fine eats.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, UA
If it is a meal flight, and you're checking bags, it is worth it. Especially if you're taller than 5'10''
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You think the new food is "horrible"?
Yes I find UA food in general horrible, including on my two flights last weekend. Some of the fish entrees in long-haul BF are okay, as is the tamale chicken. But I've basically stopped eating on UA flights unless it's long-haul and/or I didn't have a chance to eat anything prior to departure.

In my limited experience, the food on DL is much better. I'm not even going to mention foreign carriers.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's actually a much greater value proposition for someone with no status. If OP's family is planning to check a bag for each person, then the potential cost of checking bags can be 'deducted' from the upgrade expense. As FC pax, the checked bags will also get United's coveted VIP tag.

Intangibles:
• OP and family an board early and settle in. This will relieve some of the stress of traveling with little ones.
• OP and family may get better IRROPS protection given that a portion of their itinerary is in F.
• Innumerable 1Ks will be ticked off seeing a family of 4 "kettles" (esp. 2 kids) seated in FC when their upgrades fail to clear. (We'll hear about it on FT.)
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by kale73
Innumerable 1Ks will be ticked off seeing a family of 4 "kettles" (esp. 2 kids) seated in FC when their upgrades fail to clear. (We'll hear about it on FT.)
Dang, you beat me to it. This is priceless.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes I find UA food in general horrible, including on my two flights last weekend. Some of the fish entrees in long-haul BF are okay, as is the tamale chicken. But I've basically stopped eating on UA flights unless it's long-haul and/or I didn't have a chance to eat anything prior to departure.

In my limited experience, the food on DL is much better. I'm not even going to mention foreign carriers.
Maybe horrible is too harsh. But it's not good food and the OP should not decide on a $119 x 4 upgrade based on the food. Even subtracting some bags fees, you could buy a gourmet feast to bring on board for your family in coach for less than half that price. Sure, you may have to buy down one level on the caviar .

Again, I'd buy the upgrades, but I put $0 value on the food. Lots better in airports for $10/person and you get something you know the kids will actually eat vs. The tandoori chicken and rice I had on my last flight.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
I have a ORD-SFO-HNL flight upcomng and UA wants $320 for upgrade, do you think thats a good deal?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the input!

Actually, if I don't upgrade, I will fly on AA where I have status. On AA the cost of the ticket is $277, the itinerary isn't quite as good as the United option, but I will have decent seats and pre-boarding. And free baggage. I could go either way really. It's my wife's birthday, though, so I was thinking of the f class as a birthday perk.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by chgodude
I have a ORD-SFO-HNL flight upcomng and UA wants $320 for upgrade, do you think thats a good deal?
Great deal of you can afford it.

Last edited by goalie; Feb 20, 2015 at 5:14 pm Reason: fixed bb code
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
If you upgrade to F, I believe you get one or two checked bags for free/person (i'm 1K so don't know the bag benefit in BF).

Personally for me, if I'm flying transcon and I have a good Y seat (like exit aisle) I'd think twice but at $119, it's not that bad. I'd probably just roll the dice on a CPU or maybe use RPUs. If I had a lousy Y seat, hands down I'd do the extra $119. The other thing depending on how old your kids are, younger one's especially are not going to care if they're in BF or Y.

I did a trip from SFO to Belize last Dec and it was only $110 RT for upgrade to BF so I grabbed it even though total flight time was like 6-7 hours...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.