Is United First worth $xxx upgrade fee?

Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
The service in UAGF sounds atrocious.
Not in my experiences, as I have always received excellent service in Int'l F. However, it's a terrible shame that the FA's have less and less to work with.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Not in my experiences, as I have always received excellent service in Int'l F. However, it's a terrible shame that the FA's have less and less to work with.
I agree. made my first GF flights, LHR-IAD last summer with my wife after years of lamely continuing with BA f. So much difference! Both ways we had friendly helpful crew - who chatted with you if you wanted, kept away if you preferred- nothing was too much trouble. The seats were better than BA, the food was equally as good. All in all I have more flights booked and they are still cheaper than BA. Were we lucky?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lloydah
I agree. made my first GF flights, LHR-IAD last summer with my wife after years of lamely continuing with BA f. So much difference! Both ways we had friendly helpful crew - who chatted with you if you wanted, kept away if you preferred- nothing was too much trouble. The seats were better than BA, the food was equally as good. All in all I have more flights booked and they are still cheaper than BA. Were we lucky?
If your frame of reference is only BA First, I guess UA probably isn't too bad. Neither would ever be confused with Gulf, Asian or German-speaking airlines.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by SFO777
If your frame of reference is only BA First, I guess UA probably isn't too bad. Neither would ever be confused with Gulf, Asian or German-speaking airlines.
That's true but I was thinking of TATL direct from LHR, not so many choices. Have tried Swiss in F which was so much better but time constraints make direct flights the norm for me.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
For me First is about the seat. Meals... are secondary
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 1fan
For me First is about the seat. Meals... are secondary
+1. Hard to eat when I am fast asleep.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA MM etc
Global First is marginally better than Business First: quieter lounge, no adjacent seat on plane--otherwise pretty similar.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Not in my experiences, as I have always received excellent service in Int'l F.
Me too, generally speaking. The seat is VERY nice - really wonderful for sleeping! And global first gives you more personal space and privacy. I tend to like the food on UA over the last year in both C and F. We're not talking high cuisine, but I've had some very good meals recently. Note that I'm not a meat and potatoes person and usually have the fish.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lloydah
That's true but I was thinking of TATL direct from LHR, not so many choices. Have tried Swiss in F which was so much better but time constraints make direct flights the norm for me.
BA and UA have much in common: they both rely on captive audiences that choose them for convenience, not the hard or soft products.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA MM flyer, ex. 1k, Star All. gold, AA
My wife and I had a very nice experience in UAGF. Flying from London to ORD, I was in first and wifey in Business. The FA in first noticed and immediately after the meal service, brought her up to the lone available first seat for the remainder of the flight. She was very sweet.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by StingWest
Me too, generally speaking. The seat is VERY nice - really wonderful for sleeping! And global first gives you more personal space and privacy. I tend to like the food on UA over the last year in both C and F. We're not talking high cuisine, but I've had some very good meals recently. Note that I'm not a meat and potatoes person and usually have the fish.
Never eat the fish, Shirley!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
It's pretty simple. Anyone's F class (or J) beats the torture of Y on such a long flight. If you have the miles go in the front. Now where it becomes more subjective is just which carrier to use those miles on for the front of the plane if you have choices.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Been on GF twice and many times in C and found the seat, service, and privacy differences to be pretty substantial. Sure, the food is very similar to C, but is no worse than food on LH C or other C products. It all comes down to personal tastes on the meal....I like the sundaes, versus a piece of cake that you get on other C products!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Is United First worth it?

In terms of miles it prices about the same as other *A biz class. Let that be your guide.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
LAX-CUN on a 737-900 series

How is the flight?

Is it worth using miles to upgrade to BF?

I was thinking the equipment would be 767 at least, so disappointed to see the non-stop on a 737 series

Just wondering if I am up for disappointment on any aircraft amenities or services?

I have traveled on Pre-merger CO to Rio, London, etc. on 767s and always enjoyed the perks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.