FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   MR multi destination ticket question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1656095-mr-multi-destination-ticket-question.html)

SignatureCaptainLNK Feb 18, 2015 1:14 pm

MR multi destination ticket question

Hello!

So I am in the process of making a MR that I had to use a multi destination ticket to book. One thing that is holding me up is that EWR is a big part of the run, and weather hasn't been friendly to the east coast this winter. Right now it is looking like LNK-EWR-SJU-EWR-HNL-LAS next weekend. I have a conference I have to be in LAS for by 3-1. So my question is, if I get a weather problem in EWR, are they going to reroute me to my final destination? Or are they going to send me to either SJU or HNL depending on which stop in EWR I have the problem with? Would I get original mileage credit if they send me direct LAS from EWR? Thanks for your responses in advance!

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 18, 2015 1:21 pm

..and you know beginning March 1, mileage runs are worthless for RDMs right? What will count is dollars spent, not how many miles you can pack into a trip (unless those miles cost you more money to begin with...). I guess that's why you're doing all the miles prior to 3/1.

WineCountryUA Feb 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 24374014)
..and you know beginning March 1, mileage runs are worthless for RDMs right? What will count is dollars spent, not how many miles you can pack into a trip (unless those miles cost you more money to begin with...). I guess that's why you're doing all the miles prior to 3/1.

MR for status miles (up to domestic Plat or international waived 1Ks ) seem to still very much be in the cards for post 1-March.

ContinentalFan Feb 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by SignatureCaptainLNK (Post 24373962)
Hello!

So I am in the process of making a MR that I had to use a multi destination ticket to book. One thing that is holding me up is that EWR is a big part of the run, and weather hasn't been friendly to the east coast this winter. Right now it is looking like LNK-EWR-SJU-EWR-HNL-LAS next weekend. I have a conference I have to be in LAS for by 3-1. So my question is, if I get a weather problem in EWR, are they going to reroute me to my final destination? Or are they going to send me to either SJU or HNL depending on which stop in EWR I have the problem with? Would I get original mileage credit if they send me direct LAS from EWR? Thanks for your responses in advance!

In my experience, they're going to try and be helpful and put you on the most direct route. If you interact with someone at the airport, you may have to explain that you have to stop at the cities on your original itinerary. My experience was that a few years ago I was working on a deal with a company in San Diego and had to have documents signed in New York. I'd fly LAX SAN connecting in either JFK or EWR. Some agents would check me into the next LAX/SAN or SAN/LAX without asking. I'd just be vigilant.

SignatureCaptainLNK Feb 18, 2015 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan (Post 24375135)
In my experience, they're going to try and be helpful and put you on the most direct route. If you interact with someone at the airport, you may have to explain that you have to stop at the cities on your original itinerary. My experience was that a few years ago I was working on a deal with a company in San Diego and had to have documents signed in New York. I'd fly LAX SAN connecting in either JFK or EWR. Some agents would check me into the next LAX/SAN or SAN/LAX without asking. I'd just be vigilant.

Well, honestly, I wouldn't care if I didn't have to do all the legs and went straight to Las Vegas if they would give me credit for the original mileage. But one thing I just can't have is missing my conference. So the whole EWR connections make me a little uneasy. Any ideas on if they would send me to LAS and give me credit for the rest of the halfway around the world itinerary I booked? Or would I be pushed through the original itinerary unless I wanted to forgo the mileage? Thanks!

edcho Feb 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by SignatureCaptainLNK (Post 24376130)
Well, honestly, I wouldn't care if I didn't have to do all the legs and went straight to Las Vegas if they would give me credit for the original mileage. But one thing I just can't have is missing my conference. So the whole EWR connections make me a little uneasy. Any ideas on if they would send me to LAS and give me credit for the rest of the halfway around the world itinerary I booked? Or would I be pushed through the original itinerary unless I wanted to forgo the mileage? Thanks!

If you get an agent to mark your res as INVOL then you should be good to go to get ORC (usually easy if there is WX issues).

Also, if you have a cancelled/severely delayed flight on your itin, you should also be good to go.

Phoenixtinct Feb 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by SignatureCaptainLNK (Post 24376130)

In my experience, United has been very good about giving original routing credit. I've gotten it every time I asked. So, if you end up being rerouted and don't get as many miles as your original ticket - just call MileagePlus and have them take care of it for you.

SignatureCaptainLNK Feb 18, 2015 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct (Post 24376410)
In my experience, United has been very good about giving original routing credit. I've gotten it every time I asked. So, if you end up being rerouted and don't get as many miles as your original ticket - just call MileagePlus and have them take care of it for you.

That makes me feel a lot less uneasy about my EWR connections. Almost makes me want to hope for snow, a quiet airport hotel room, and a direct flight to LAS as soon as feasible instead of my actual run LOL!