Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu

I observed the same thing for my ORD-PVG flight a few weeks ago. Luckily, I got op-up because another passenger had the same seat assignment in Premium Plus section. FA brought a new boarding pass and told me that I did not deserve the op-up because of the low fare (G). Your observation is consistent with my observation for ORD-PVG. This may suggest that op-up may be based upon fare paid, not the status, although this board strongly believes that the latter is the case.
Cheers.
Multiple times I have been awkwardly hassled by agents for having low fares ('you only payed $59 for this ticket'), but I haven't yet seen clear evidence that op-ups go by fare paid. However, I am also skeptical that we as the public know exactly what they do.

Originally Posted by david_oz
Hi all. Writing this from somewhere over Alaska. While I appreciate all of you guys cheering for me in this thread, unfortunately I’m sitting in seat 21J, in the e+ section ☹️

Like many of you, I’m quite perplexed about what happened, so maybe someone can shed some light on it?

By the time I got to the gate in LAX about 1 hour before the flight there were 7 seats blocked. the gate agent in LAX was paging a lot of people. There were so many people that I couldn’t track how many where coming from standbys and how many were not on the standby list, all the while, 7 seats were still blocked.

Then about 40 mins before departure all 7 blocked seats disappeared in one shot, and then a bunch more standbys cleared. The moment the 7 blocked disappeared I knew I had no shot and boarded.

the lead FA on board came to my seat to thank me for being a 1K. I saw her make one other stop in the e+ cabin and it looked like there were 5 people total on whatever list she was reading from. My best guess at this stage is that either all 7 people were on a flight which misconnected, or I was too far down the list on a K fare for make the op-up?

side note: my fiancé is in J due to a GPU (she had to change her plans after we booked and W was the only fare available, with an easy GPU). She came back to see me to say that there are still empty seats up there and that they should upgrade me. I had to tell her that’s not how it works.
Sorry to hear you didn't make it. From what I saw on the seat map, six seats in Y were depopulated and then repopulated, but all very rapidly (so maybe more than six seats were shuffled). The count is 46/48 in front with 9 apparent NRSA, while it was booked 33 with some fluctuating block, so that suggests only 4 'ascended'. It's plausible they were all GS or 1K on higher fares.

Hope you recast your fiancée in J and you in Y as a Valentine's gesture.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Multiple times I have been awkwardly hassled by agents for having low fares ('you only payed $59 for this ticket'), but I haven't yet seen clear evidence that op-ups go by fare paid. However, I am also skeptical that we as the public know exactly what they do.
In 2017, I got an OpUp on ORD-CDG as a Platinum on a K fare. I was already in my E+ bulkhead aisle seat. I wonder if in addition to status sometimes they just want a specific seat.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, BAEC Bronze
Chance of Op-Up or should I use a GPU

I'm a 1K flying on UA926 (SFO-FRA) in Premium Plus (R). Well, I'd be flying in Premium Plus but I don't have a seat assignments. It looks like the cabin is overbooked, though curiously it still shows up as A2 in expert mode.

There are 11 Polaris seats free in the seat map and expert mode shows J9 P6. I know SFO-FRA is a tough one even with a GPU (but I've gotten lucky before) but being in Premium Plus without an assigned seat and I wonder if I should roll the dic. I have 4-6 more flights between Germany and San Francisco coming up for the rest of the year, I wouldn't mind having some extra GPUs around for them.

What do you think are my chances?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by realityking
What do you think are my chances?
what date?

Regardless, I would never count on an op-up vs. applying a GPU.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Would need the date to have a look, but op-ups from PE have been a common theme on airlines with the tiny PE cabin that UA adopted, so if the flight has restricted O space and the PE cabin looks overbooked an op-up seems likely. Of course never count on it, but if the GPUs are going to good use otherwise you can roll the dice.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by realityking
There are 11 Polaris seats free in the seat map and expert mode shows J9 P6.
If there are actually only 11 seats available and they're selling J9, they're not oversold in P+ by much -- 2, maybe 3 passengers. In order for an op-up to occur, there'd have to be nobody in PE with a GPU or miles + copay upgrade listed. In order for you to be op-uped in particular, there'd have to be no GSes in P+, and no 1Ks in O or A class.

IMO, the chances are pretty good that you'll wind up with a seat in P+. The lack of a seat assignment shouldn't measurably change your chance of being upgraded.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:22 pm

Just got a surprise op up on UA110 EWR-LHR. I was already happy to have a freebie (before they’re selling them as PE) PE seat and was puzzled to find that my seat was now unoccupied on the map. Refreshing my ticket and I’m in a odd row Polaris window seat.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:34 pm

T-3 hours to departure. Sitting in Y+ on a different flight. I might SDC to this.

Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
T-3 hours to departure. Sitting in Y+ on a different flight. I might SDC to this.
As 1K? Heck yes. There are no Y seats showing open. Now 22 blocked in J. And it's Polarized.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I posted about this in the GPU usage thread but posting here since it's related and for posterity.

Currently booked EWR-NRT next week in "R" and the cabin is overbooked by at least 2 people. Business is "wide open" (selling 20+) with apparently 3 on the upgrade waitlist. I had a very friendly 1K agent. I'm going to roll the dice at least until just before 24 hours before departure and see how the flight is looking. If they don't open "PZ" then I will likely just waitlist and burn my GPU which would clear before departure and I'd get Polaris lounge access. If PZ is open then I'll gamble for an OpUp and if that doesn't come through by the morning of departure I'll burn a GPU then. I know having PZ remain open is not guaranteed but I'm thinking they will put 9s across the board if they remain with 15+ seats open for sale.

What would you do in this situation? PS, I have the GPUs to burn so I'm not worried about trying to save them. I'm more interested in seeing if I can get the OpUp on an ULH flight

-RM

PS - @SFO_LOW_CLOUDS did you get the HKG-ORD upgrade?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Op-ups are usually run at the gate, so the wait-and-see is not likely to be helpful unless you can get an accurate count on how far PE is overbooked. If it's over by 2 then I wouldn't say your odds are all that high.. if you really want to fly J then I would just spend the GPU but you definitely have a real chance. Hard to say.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:02 pm

I'm doing a Status Match with United (BA Gold to United Platinum), and decided to go a little bit out of my way on this trip to try and get the challenge completed (I'm planning to switch to United ina few months due to potential job move).

I am new around here and was curious how common are Op-Ups on international flights with United? Any chance of catching some much needed zzz on one of these flights?

Edinburgh - Newark (06 October - United 39)
Newark - Houston (06 October - United 687)
Houston - Sao Paulo (06 October - United 62)
Sao Paulo - Newark (10 October - United 148)
Newark - Edinburgh (11 OCtober - United 36)
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Smorek
I am new around here and was curious how common are Op-Ups on international flights with United?
Very very rare. I have over 1.2 MM on UA and have never received an op-up.

It's not even worth talking about specific flights unless the inventory data indicate that Y (or PE, if it's a PE flight) is oversold
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Smorek
I'm doing a Status Match with United (BA Gold to United Platinum), and decided to go a little bit out of my way on this trip to try and get the challenge completed (I'm planning to switch to United ina few months due to potential job move).

I am new around here and was curious how common are Op-Ups on international flights with United? Any chance of catching some much needed zzz on one of these flights?

Edinburgh - Newark (06 October - United 39)
Newark - Houston (06 October - United 687)
Houston - Sao Paulo (06 October - United 62)
Sao Paulo - Newark (10 October - United 148)
Newark - Edinburgh (11 OCtober - United 36)
Your chances are nil on all flights. EDI-EWR is actually nearly full in the back but the front is only selling 2 (and there will be GS and 1K on the flight). EWR-IAH is already zeroed out on all flights around the time you're flying. The rest of the flights are wide open in coach right now. So, relax in your assigned seat (maybe you got exit row on the TATL).

-RM
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Very very rare. I have over 1.2 MM on UA and have never received an op-up.

It's not even worth talking about specific flights unless the inventory data indicate that Y (or PE, if it's a PE flight) is oversold
The best-case scenario for op-ups, IMO, is when the amount of business class seats overbooked is at a very large number. That is what happened on the only op-up I got (EWR-BRU - used MUA for Y to J, then op-up to GF for free). The one that I was convinced I had in the bag (TPE-SFO - GPU Y to J, and was looking to op-up to GF on a 744) did not happen based on last-minute bookings that came through.

I wouldn't ask us about the chances of an op-up until you are at the gate and see how things are being processed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.