Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Going LAX - NRT on the 27th of April - have 2 pax, a 1K and Silver - I keep checking..but nothing, but I do see PN>0 so hopefully that means PZ opens up and I can call in and have the GPU cleared!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tstauck
Now showing "full" with 2 open seats up front on the map. Yes, definitely hope the OP got an upgrade!
I hope that David is not the first name of the OP as I don't see any upgrader with the initial "D".
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I hope that David is not the first name of the OP as I don't see any upgrader with the initial "D".
Those listed as "upgraded" will be the NRSA and anyone who applied an instrument. Op-ups don't typically show on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Those listed as "upgraded" will be the NRSA and anyone who applied an instrument. Op-ups don't typically show on the upgrade list.
That's good to know! So, there is still hope that the OP got upgraded.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
That's good to know! So, there is still hope that the OP got upgraded.
There were two late instrument upgrades and the rest are non-rev. I think some of the op-ups came out of E-, even. There could be a few explanations for that detail, but I'd hope that means all 1K in Y were moved forward.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I assume op ups while not on upgrade list get "upgraded" or seats first while NRSA would follow IF there are any seats available? At least that has been my experience when traveling with NRSA pax.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomad420
I assume op ups while not on upgrade list get "upgraded" or seats first while NRSA would follow IF there are any seats available? At least that has been my experience when traveling with NRSA pax.
Not sure the order in re "best seat" selection, but in bulk it doesn't matter. Op-ups are dictated by the oversale in Y, and they are obviously not going to clear so many NRSA that they have to kick off a revenue pax.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume op ups while not on upgrade list get "upgraded" or seats first while NRSA would follow IF there are any seats available?
Yes. They will run the instrument upgrade list, then upgrade enough op-up passengers so that every revenue passenger has a seat. If there are seats left over after that, they would be available for NRSA pax.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I saw watching this flight, all the NRSA listed for J and Y, and they were processed after the op-ups. J was available, so they all got J; since Y was full, I assume any who didn't list for J would have been left behind (or might have gotten a hint from the GA to reconsider strategy), but that didn't happen here.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
. I think some of the op-ups came out of E-, even. There could be a few explanations for that detail, but I'd hope that means all 1K in Y were moved forward.
I observed the same thing for my ORD-PVG flight a few weeks ago. Luckily, I got op-up because another passenger had the same seat assignment in Premium Plus section. FA brought a new boarding pass and told me that I did not deserve the op-up because of the low fare (G). Your observation is consistent with my observation for ORD-PVG. This may suggest that op-up may be based upon fare paid, not the status, although this board strongly believes that the latter is the case.
Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
This may suggest that op-up may be based upon fare paid, not the status, although this board strongly believes that the latter is the case.
It doesn't. I promise. The GA was just being snippy.

It simply isn't possible that everybody on an oversold flight had a G fare and that status is only a tiebreaker. If the flight were to start to fill like that, UA would close out the discount buckets.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
It doesn't. I promise. The GA was just being snippy.

It simply isn't possible that everybody on an oversold flight had a G fare and that status is only a tiebreaker. If the flight were to start to fill like that, UA would close out the discount buckets.
If the op-up is purely based on status, you won’t see those E- seats becoming available during op-upping process because B789 has a very large E+ section and it is unlikely that 1Ks sits in E- section. So, we do need more data before making a conclusion. Hope that Op will come back to add another data point.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu

If the op-up is purely based on status, you won’t see those E- seats becoming available during op-upping process because B789 has a very large E+ section and it is unlikely that 1Ks sits in E- section. So, we do need more data before making a conclusion. Hope that Op will come back to add another data point.
There are a number of reasons for E- seats to come open during the seat assignment process. For example, in addition to finding seat assignments for the op-up passengers, they're also going to be offloading passengers who missed the check-in deadline or are misconnecting; also, there could easily be Silver members who had been waiting for an E+ seat that they liked, or the gate agent could have been moving people around to try to seat families together or whatnot.

Basically, you're reading way too much into one offhand statement by a gate agent in a bad mood. Maybe on the last couple of flights she worked, the only op-ups were GSes and 1Ks on high fares. Maybe she was angry because her best friend was a Platinum on an E fare but she had to follow policy. Who knows?

What I can tell you is that the op-up threads are full of "I got an upgrade as a 1K during this low business travel period" messages but I don't remember seeing a lot of "I don't have status, but I bought an expensive ticket at the last minute, and instead of my non-reclining seat in the middle of the last row, they gave me business class!"
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi all. Writing this from somewhere over Alaska. While I appreciate all of you guys cheering for me in this thread, unfortunately I’m sitting in seat 21J, in the e+ section ☹️

Like many of you, I’m quite perplexed about what happened, so maybe someone can shed some light on it?

By the time I got to the gate in LAX about 1 hour before the flight there were 7 seats blocked. the gate agent in LAX was paging a lot of people. There were so many people that I couldn’t track how many where coming from standbys and how many were not on the standby list, all the while, 7 seats were still blocked.

Then about 40 mins before departure all 7 blocked seats disappeared in one shot, and then a bunch more standbys cleared. The moment the 7 blocked disappeared I knew I had no shot and boarded.

the lead FA on board came to my seat to thank me for being a 1K. I saw her make one other stop in the e+ cabin and it looked like there were 5 people total on whatever list she was reading from. My best guess at this stage is that either all 7 people were on a flight which misconnected, or I was too far down the list on a K fare for make the op-up?

side note: my fiancé is in J due to a GPU (she had to change her plans after we booked and W was the only fare available, with an easy GPU). She came back to see me to say that there are still empty seats up there and that they should upgrade me. I had to tell her that’s not how it works.

Last edited by david_oz; Feb 14, 2019 at 6:26 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david_oz
side note: my fiancé is in J due to a GPU (she had to change her plans after we booked and W was the only fare available, with an easy GPU). She came back to see me to say that there are still empty seats up there and that they should upgrade me. I had to tell her that’s not how it works.
There's your answer, sadly. They likely had enough misconnects that they only needed to op-up a handful of people, and sadly, they didn't make it all the way down to the K fares.

That also answers why E- seats would have briefly appeared during the op-up process -- those were the misconnects getting offloaded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.