Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Plat | IHG Plat | Hilton Diamond | Hertz Pres Circle | Global Entry / TSA Pre
Flying PEK-EWR tomorrow and the app says Y is full with 19 J seats blocked. (See screenshot) How good are my chances as a Plat?

Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by Mocassin
Flying PEK-EWR tomorrow and the app says Y is full with 19 J seats blocked. (See screenshot) How good are my chances as a Plat?
I don't know why flight status is saying Y is full. If you go to Reservations, UA is willing to sell at least 9 seats in pretty much every Y fare class -- and at a fare as little as $792 ow. So I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
Mocassin likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by seenitall
I don't know why flight status is saying Y is full. If you go to Reservations, UA is willing to sell at least 9 seats in pretty much every Y fare class -- and at a fare as little as $792 ow. So I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
With an instrument it would have been an easy upgrade. They are willing to sell Economy tickets as there are so many business class seats not sold. It's only booked 15.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Mocassin
Judging based on E+ seat loads, I'd say decent. It's always subject to last minute fluctuations though.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seenitall
I don't know why flight status is saying Y is full. If you go to Reservations, UA is willing to sell at least 9 seats in pretty much every Y fare class -- and at a fare as little as $792 ow.
That doesn't tell you anything about potential for op-ups. Booked 15, with 17 blocked in a 50 seat cabin (i.e., only 32 seats spoken for), and discount economy still for sale means that UA is willing to sell a bunch more discount economy fares and resolve the oversale by op-upping into an empty J cabin.

Blocked 17 (current status) strongly indicates an oversold scenario with multiple op-ups to occur. I'd say Plat certainly has a chance.
jsloan and Mocassin like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Op upgrade based upon fares paid, not status?

I was on ORD-PVG flight, with about 23 seats blocked in business and economy cabin was completely full when departed. I monitored seat map, especially the economy cabin, every few minutes. At about T-2.5 hour, some seats in E cabin became open for a few minutes and then filled. (A total count was about 15 but blocking number was not changed.) Those seats could be anywhere on the seat map. Some on E+ and P+ sections became open, but not my seat on P+ even though I have 1K status. When boarding started, the business cabin was changed to “full.” (A non rev was cleared and there was a couple of empty seats). I went to a gate agent to print out boarding pass and had the visa check stamp. This was about T-45 min. I went to a United Club for about 25 min and boarded the plane at T-20 min. I settled down on my seat for a minute or two before another passenger came with the same seat assignment. A FA took my boarding pass to a gate agent and came back with a business seat for me. She explicitly said that I was lucky and should not get an Op Up with my booking fare (G). So, I guess that Op Up is not solely based on status. According to what FA said and what I monitored from the seat map, fares paid are probably the most important factor in determining who gets the Op Up.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I was on ORD-PVG flight, with about 23 seats blocked in business and economy cabin was completely full when departed. I monitored seat map, especially the economy cabin, every few minutes. At about T-2.5 hour, some seats in E cabin became open for a few minutes and then filled. (A total count was about 15 but blocking number was not changed.) Those seats could be anywhere on the seat map. Some on E+ and P+ sections became open, but not my seat on P+ even though I have 1K status. When boarding started, the business cabin was changed to “full.” (A non rev was cleared and there was a couple of empty seats). I went to a gate agent to print out boarding pass and had the visa check stamp. This was about T-45 min. I went to a United Club for about 25 min and boarded the plane at T-20 min. I settled down on my seat for a minute or two before another passenger came with the same seat assignment. A FA took my boarding pass to a gate agent and came back with a business seat for me. She explicitly said that I was lucky and should not get an Op Up with my booking fare (G). So, I guess that Op Up is not solely based on status. According to what FA said and what I monitored from the seat map, fares paid are probably the most important factor in determining who gets the Op Up.
The only Op UP I ever got on UA was on ORD-CDG on a K fare. I was already seated in my bulkhead Economy + seat when they asked me to sit in 6J. However, I did not have to suffer the indignity of a FA telling me that I did not deserve that Op Up......
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The FA was making stuff up. The priority for op-ups isn’t published, but it isn’t fare class first — there’s no way everyone in Y was also flying on a G fare. It’s likely status, then fare class, just like the CPU list would be. What you saw prior to departure may have been instruments clearing, or GS members (and companions) on any fare or 1K members (and companions) on higher fares. It’s possible that they’d clear more companions on an op-up than a CPU would, since they might not want to split families without giving people an option to decline.

By boarding at T-20, you risked losing your seat, BTW. The cutoff is T-30 for international flights.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Looks like my inbound aircraft for my NRT-EWR flight today (SFO-NRT) has north of 15 op-ups (or maybe lots of NRSAs) - was showing with 16 blocked out in J when I looked earlier today.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Looks like my inbound aircraft for my NRT-EWR flight today (SFO-NRT) has north of 15 op-ups (or maybe lots of NRSAs) - was showing with 16 blocked out in J when I looked earlier today.
Many of the Tokyo flights this week are op-up city. 838's going to have a bunch today and tomorrow.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan

The FA was making stuff up. The priority for op-ups isn’t published, but it isn’t fare class first — there’s no way everyone in Y was also flying on a G fare. It’s likely status, then fare class, just like the CPU list would be. What you saw prior to departure may have been instruments clearing, or GS members (and companions) on any fare or 1K members (and companions) on higher fares. It’s possible that they’d clear more companions on an op-up than a CPU would, since they might not want to split families without giving people an option to decline.

By boarding at T-20, you risked losing your seat, BTW. The cutoff is T-30 for international flights.
It was a New Year Eve flight. There were not many GSs traveling to China at this time of year. The appearance/disappearance of E cabin seats (a few E+ seats, too) supported the fare-based Op-Up guess. I know that FA sometimes made things up. In my case, GA might ask the FA to tell me that I did not deserve it. I was hoping that I would get the upgrade earlier so that I would have a few minutes to visit the Polaris Lounge nearby.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
You just need to be at the gate, not in your seat.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a New Year Eve flight. There were not many GSs traveling to China at this time of year. The appearance/disappearance of E cabin seats (a few E+ seats, too) supported the fare-based Op-Up guess. I know that FA sometimes made things up. In my case, GA might ask the FA to tell me that I did not deserve it. I was hoping that I would get the upgrade earlier so that I would have a few minutes to visit the Polaris Lounge nearby.
That’s as may be, but I promise that status is not trumped by fare class. Again, if that were the case, you would have been behind nearly everybody on the plane. It simply makes no sense. And I really doubt that the GA would instruct the FA to say something unprofessional and that the FA would just go along with it. It’s easier to imagine one rogue actor than two.

Originally Posted by Kacee

You just need to be at the gate, not in your seat.
True, but the OP said they got to the lounge at T-45 and stayed 25 minutes. I didn’t take it to mean there was some waiting involved at the gate.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Anyone able to provide insight into op-ups? How are they determined?

I have a flight tomorrow that is oversold in Y but J is only about half full. I am on a K fare. I had an op-up in July with a T fare (much to my surprise). Yes I realize there may be GPUs to be processed and TODs (I will not be paying the TOD since it does not qualify for PQD).

MODs - Could not find a thread for op-ups so please move if there is one.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Anyone able to provide insight into op-ups? How are they determined?
It's really up to the gate agent. Status is generally thought to be a major factor, but they will do what they need to in order to get the flight out on time. It may even be a matter of who's closest to the podium.

I've also found that many flights that are "oversold" go out with empty seats, so don't count on anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.