Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
This past Christmas day I flew LHR-ORD, 6 people in J and a light load in Y. There were no comp upgrades. My only comp intl upgrade was ORD-LHR, I got bumped from J to F because J was oversold. That's my experience.
This is consistent with policy. It's often easy to clear an upgrade on holidays, but UA still doesn't want to give them away for free.

OTOH, you can expect a TOD offer toward the lower end of the TATL range (maybe $900-$1000 per person).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Have two seats booked on an upcoming Intl leg to CDG over Thanksgiving weekend. Y is empty and so is J.

Any 1K’s or GS have experience with comp Intl upgrades under these circumstances when the cabin is empty? I did not purchase a W fare as it was significantly higher than the lowest available fare.
In that case, when the W fare is too high, I do waitlist Miles + Copay instead of using GPUs. And around Holidays, it tends to clear months in advance. As other have said, complimentary upgrades tend to happen when Y is overbooked so they need to make space by moving passengers to Business.

Naturally, a TOD is usually a better deal than Miles + Copay (for TATLs, I got TODS in the $800-$850 range) but I still prefer to waitlist Miles + Copay for if the upgrade clears in advance, I do get better seat choices.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
OP-UPs on Int'l Award ticket - split or not?

I'd appreciate your advice on best strategy to score operational upgrades (OP-UPs) on international award ticket:
  • TPAC flight tomorrow (Nov 21) on award ticket.
  • As of now flight is full in economy and 35 + 9 blocked out of 50 in business
  • Pax include 1K (me) and non-status companion on same PNR
We have good E+ seats, but think there may be good chance to score OP-UPs on this flight.

Would like to seek your suggestion on whether split or not split PNR? In particular, if not splitting PNR, what will happen to the OP-UP priority list?
  1. Only I will appear as 1K. My non-status companion will not be on the list (same effect as splitting PNR)
  2. or - My companion inherit my 1K status; both ranked as 1K
  3. or - I lose 1K status / OP-UP opportunity
Thanks a lot in advance! Safe travels.

Last edited by bdw1120; Nov 20, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I don't know that op-ups really have a true priority list. It's not a real upgrade list.

But I'd say if you split, your companion has no chance of the op-up.

If you don't split, and there's one seat left, you lost the chance to get it.
bdw1120 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't know that op-ups really have a true priority list. It's not a real upgrade list.
Yeah I believe it's GA discretion. There is certainly no published priority list. They do look at status, but they may also look at convenience, which probably reduces the odds for those on a multi-pax PNR.
bdw1120 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I think that flight is more wide open than you think - while it is Y2 this morning - not even half of E+ has assigned seats, and in my experience, a truly full flight doesn't show a wide open seat map a day before departure. I think it is Y2 this morning to drive higher last minute E purchases or they planned for a potential plane swap.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think that flight is more wide open than you think - while it is Y2 this morning - not even half of E+ has assigned seats, and in my experience, a truly full flight doesn't show a wide open seat map a day before departure. I think it is Y2 this morning to drive higher last minute E purchases or they planned for a potential plane swap.
This doesn’t make any sense. If it’s Y2, it’s because they don’t have three more seats to sell. I don’t think the 787 base at EWR is operational yet, so there’s not really a smaller plane they could put onto that route even if they wanted to.

It is entirely common for passengers not to assign seats, particularly in E+ where most people would have to pay for them, and particularly to/from China. A lot of people just wait for seat assignments at the airport.

At 35, +10 blocked, and J5 Y2, this flight is absolutely oversold.
rmadisonwi and drewguy like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
It is entirely common for passengers not to assign seats, particularly in E+ where most people would have to pay for them, and particularly to/from China. A lot of people just wait for seat assignments at the airport.

At 35, +10 blocked, and J5 Y2, this flight is absolutely oversold.
Yes, this is a classic oversold, elite op-up scenario. Flight to Asia, holiday travel week, very few elites (as indicated by empty E+ seats), many no-status economy passengers who do not yet have seat assignments.

Indeed, the fact that it's only Y2 with 15 unsold J seats indicates a heavily oversold position. If it were not heavily oversold, it would by Y9, as UA would be delighted to op-up to sell full Y tickets.
jsloan, drewguy, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
let's see how weather in the NE is messing up connections. If it is really that oversold tomorrow you might be in luck for an OPUP. If that is important I would split the PNR; the non-status companion should keep the E+ seat unless there is a last minute equipment swap.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
It's been years since I've seen an international op-up on UA, typically there are a high number of people on the Upgrade wait list with GPUs on Asia routes. Having said that, last time it happened, my ex and I were actually on separate PNRs already and they saw her last name the same as mine and upgraded us both together anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Note that rather than give op-ups, UA will be aggressive at trying to sell TODs to checking in customers. If you really want to sit in front, consider taking a TOD -- if it is reasonably priced. Further, it will be offered to both of you, and not just to one.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
Note that rather than give op-ups, UA will be aggressive at trying to sell TODs to checking in customers. If you really want to sit in front, consider taking a TOD -- if it is reasonably priced. Further, it will be offered to both of you, and not just to one.
OP is on an award ticket? Will they offer one to one on an award (serious question, I didn’t think they used to, but maybe I’m mistaken).

Malala, I believe blocked seats aren’t available for TODs or any other paid upgrade. Again, could be wrong, but that is my understanding

Also, to the OP, being on an award ticket will likely put you and your companion further down the list than others, all else being equal. The holiday period means likely fewer elites, but IMO, the award probably beings you down on the priority.

Again, IMO, but strategizing based on Op Up chances, even when a flight looks overbooked, isn’t really worth much thought. By all means, do what you think is best, and be happy about an upgrade if you do get it, but I wouldn’t be thinking about it too much or changing the normal processs you would normally go through.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I believe blocked seats aren’t available for TODs or any other paid upgrade. Again, could be wrong, but that is my understanding
Blocked seats are removed from TOD inventory. However, if they sell one TOD, they have one fewer seat that needs to be blocked, so they may adjust accordingly. The only point at which TODs can no longer be offered, with the current system, is when every remaining J seat is blocked. They’re actually only one away from that point; it’s currently 37 (+12 blocked), and J1 .. P1 PN0 Y0. If they manage to sell one more actual J seat, there’s a good chance that they’d cut off TOD sales until / unless they had a cancellation / SDC away from that flight.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:24 pm

If you follow this forum regularly, you'll know that op-ups to Asia are fairly common during a few very specific holiday periods each year. The recipe is the same - low demand for business travel (i.e., empty J cabin), combined with very high volume holiday travelers (i.e., no status and virtually all of them show up for the flight) in the Y cabin.

I would put the odds of op-ups on this particular flight at 75% or higher.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would put the odds of op-ups on this particular flight at 75% or higher.
I'll be curious to see what happens - they cleared all the standby's - 3 into biz, 2 into economy. It is still selling J6 at the moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.