Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Interesting to see how full EWR-NRT goes out in BF tomorrow. 32+12 blocked out of 50 total seats and has been showing R9 / I9 for a while. Economy is booked full so there may be some lucky folks tomorrow. .
Two "good" seats still open too in E+. Next to a "bassinet" seat though.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
...noticed that the bird was switched from a BOM-EWR 772 to one flying from PVG.
Is that the same machine they pulled from EWR-PEK last week when it had MX issues in BOM?
UA49 | BOM-EWR | 777-200 | Cancelled due to maintenance
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26337785-post274.html

I believe it's #3006 of 1998 vintage and IIRC the VOD systems hardly ever works on that one.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N77006
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA893 tomorrow SFO-ICN looks like Op-Up city . . . . Y booked full, BF booked somewhere in the mid-30s (out of 52) but blocked to full, while GF is booked 4/12, with 7 blocked.

I'm on an upgraded W fare, so not expecting one myself, but looks like there will be quite a few happy surprises for both Y and J pax.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA893 tomorrow SFO-ICN looks like Op-Up city . . . .
I bet it will also be non-rev upgrade city.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA893 tomorrow SFO-ICN looks like Op-Up city . . . . Y booked full, BF booked somewhere in the mid-30s (out of 52) but blocked to full, while GF is booked 4/12, with 7 blocked.

I'm on an upgraded W fare, so not expecting one myself, but looks like there will be quite a few happy surprises for both Y and J pax.
Hmmmm.... It sounds like lots of leisure travelers, so you may end up scoring an elusive double upgrade. It happened to me, once, on an upgraded W fare. Let us know if you end up as one of the happy J pax.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I bet it will also be non-rev upgrade city.
I'm not 100% certain how the process works, but am not sure this is a good scenario for NRSA . . . wouldn't they op-up currently confirmed Y and J pax first to open space in Y, then clear the revenue pax without seat assignments, and then NRSA would get whatever seats (if any) are left?

Originally Posted by SS255
Hmmmm.... It sounds like lots of leisure travelers,
Based on number of empty E+ seats that definitely seems to be the case. I'm guessing Golds have a shot at the op-up here.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:48 pm

Question Chance of a free upgrade? Seat already selected, but not checked-in.

Hi FlyerTalk travel pros,

I have an United SFO-FRA flight tomorrow--Economy with a seat already selected, but not checked-in. While checking-in online, they noted the flight was overbooked and asked if I'd like to volunteer giving up my seat for a voucher. I didn't finish the check in process, but did see the seat map and noticed only 5-6 seats left.

Now is there any chance I could be bumped up a class? If so, should I get to the airport early and ask the ticketing agent? I can also just take my selected seat and fly of course, but looking to maximise what little I have.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If you want to play seat roulette, never select a seat at check in. Once you do, you aren't going to get moved to a better place as a surprise unless there is an equipment swap or IRROPS.

Generally any open seats in the front cabin are going to go to elite flyers (depending on the airline's rules for comped upgrades) offered for purchase at time of check-in, go to non-revenue flyers, or passengers who have gone so far down the IRROPS rabbit hole the airline is invoking 'any available seat regardless of cabin class' to get them to their destination. If you're on an elite-light flight, you might luck into an Economy Plus seat from Economy minus during seat roulette depending on airline rules.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
What elite level are you?

If you have no status, you will not be upgraded to business class for free. No chance.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:13 am

On SFO-FRA? Odds of free upgrade are exactly zero.

I'd volunteer for the VDB in the hope they put me on the LH flight, which will be a better experience in economy.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Both of UA's SFO-FRA flights today have ample seats in the economy cabin (including E+) and economy inventory down to the K bucket - K9 on both flights. It's possible they are oversold, but probably not by a lot. UA 58 is F0, J3, and UA926 is F7 J0. Check yourself in and get yourself on the bump list..it's the only benefit you can hope for..
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr

If you have no status, you will not be upgraded to business class for free. No chance.
If you show up at the airport close to the end of the check-in deadline, and all seats in your cabin are occupied, of course the chance of an op-up is greater than zero! Basically, if it takes 5 seconds to assign you a seat in business class straight away v 5 minutes to op-up an elite passenger in order to give you his seat, you will definitely win in time crunch situations. It should go without saying that op-ups should never be relied upon, but the idea that non-status people are universally excluded from the party is simply incorrect.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by moondog
If you show up at the airport close to the end of the check-in deadline, and all seats in your cabin are occupied, of course the chance of an op-up is greater than zero! Basically, if it takes 5 seconds to assign you a seat in business class straight away v 5 minutes to op-up an elite passenger in order to give you his seat, you will definitely win in time crunch situations. It should go without saying that op-ups should never be relied upon, but the idea that non-status people are universally excluded from the party is simply incorrect.
Is "check-in deadline" (which is a deadline for the passenger, not the airline) really a "time crunch situation" though?

The check-in deadline for international flights is at least 60 minutes, and passengers must be at the gate at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure time. That's plenty of time for them to properly process upgrades in the event of an oversell. In fact, I'd be surprised, if they knew they were oversold, if they didn't start bumping up elites a little bit earlier than the deadline.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by abmj-jr

Originally Posted by moondog
Not true.

I have a friend with no status at time who has twice been upgraded from E to J on UA88,UA89. (She had purchased Q,U RT fares.) Overbooked flights. Seats already selected.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Is it worth trying for a 'discretionary' international upgrade

I have just clocked up 600k miles in 3 years with United flying once a month between the UK and the USA, I have Premier 1K status and I generally do ok on domestic complimentary upgrades and use my award miles for my return leg to the UK whenever I can. In those 3 years I have only had one 'discretionary' upgrade internationally by that I mean complimentary and not using any points or upgrade vouchers.

I know the international policy is different to domestic policy and I can understand that because United charge such a premium for international upgrades they are probably reluctant to give them away.

I am flying tomorrow, the plane is probably at 40% capacity ( 8 free seats in business class) and I have just blown all my points on upcoming award tickets so I don't have a legitimate way of getting upgraded, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on trying to get upgraded.

Is it worth asking and if so who? Gate agent, An agent in the Club Lounge?

Any advice appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.