Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 7, 19, 2:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 30, 21, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K | UA 1K
Traveling in PP (R fare) as a 1K on a high J 763 TATL.

PP is showing full on app but UA is still selling at least 9 R fare tickets online.

Polaris is showing 27/46 with 3 blocked.

How are my chances of an op-up? Does it make a difference if I stay at the UA Club until boarding or should I hang around the gate? Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 21, 3:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by leontief View Post

How are my chances of an op-up? ....
The (revenue passenger) upgrade list will be cleared first. (How long is it?)
The overbook is only 3 and there may be some no shows or cash upgrades.

Give there are multiple ways to clear up the overbook, I would not give the op-up chances too high. Not impossible, just not probable.
Old Aug 30, 21, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K | UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The (revenue passenger) upgrade list will be cleared first. (How long is it?)
The overbook is only 3 and there may be some no shows or cash upgrades.

Give there are multiple ways to clear up the overbook, I would not give the op-up chances too high. Not impossible, just not probable.
No one on the Polaris upgrade list so far (T-48) and one pax on the PP upgrade list.

Edit: I should add that UA has not opened up PZ space yet.
Old Aug 30, 21, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
No one on the Polaris upgrade list so far (T-48) and one pax on the PP upgrade list.

Edit: I should add that UA has not opened up PZ space yet.
There are probably some last-minute cancellations to negate the chance of OpUP.
Nevertheless, good luck!
Please report back.
Old Aug 30, 21, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Traveling in PP (R fare) as a 1K on a high J 763 TATL.

PP is showing full on app but UA is still selling at least 9 R fare tickets online.

How are my chances of an op-up? Does it make a difference if I stay at the UA Club until boarding or should I hang around the gate? Thanks!
generally pretty good. Last time I flew on a 763 they opuped 7 pax from prem eco. There is no difference whether you are at the gate or not, if they need the seats they will move you,
Old Apr 15, 22, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm Gold and flying ORDLHR tonight in Premium Plus which is overbooked. For an op up, would a 1K in regular economy get the bump up to Polaris, or would they go by cabin, then status. I fully plan on flying PP. Just curious.
Old Apr 15, 22, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
There's probably a 1K in PP so likely moot.

But I would tend to assume they would OP up from PP first, by status. While not necessarily true, most of those pax likely have paid more for their ticket than those in Y.
Old Apr 15, 22, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post

But I would tend to assume they would OP up from PP first, by status. While not necessarily true, most of those pax likely have paid more for their ticket than those in Y.
I think pp is a great value. I'm sad Ican no longer get a vodka soda, but it's a decent product for short transatlantic segments
Old Apr 15, 22, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post

update! This gold got Polaris op up!
SPN Lifer, drewguy, Kmxu and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 22, 3:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MB Titanium, UA Silver
I think I just got op up'd on a BRU-IAD flight yesterday. I originally bought economy tickets for me and P2, booked into deep discounted K class. A few weeks later I saw PP seats available for $247 each as an upsell, that rebooked farecode into PP R fare class. I am at a cafe in the airport and I get a text saying that I was upgraded about an hour and a half before boarding. Went to gate to make sure P2 was also upgraded and we received two new boarding passes in Polaris next to each other.

I'm only silver through Marriott's partnership but what a nice surprise. PP seat map showed full but economy had a bunch of open seats left on seatmap. Wonder if they oversold PP.
SPN Lifer and JimInOhio like this.
Old Apr 18, 22, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RK23 View Post
I think I just got op up'd on a BRU-IAD flight yesterday. I originally bought economy tickets for me and P2, booked into deep discounted K class. A few weeks later I saw PP seats available for $247 each as an upsell, that rebooked farecode into PP R fare class. I am at a cafe in the airport and I get a text saying that I was upgraded about an hour and a half before boarding. Went to gate to make sure P2 was also upgraded and we received two new boarding passes in Polaris next to each other.

I'm only silver through Marriott's partnership but what a nice surprise. PP seat map showed full but economy had a bunch of open seats left on seatmap. Wonder if they oversold PP.
they routinely oversell PP. Nice OPUP score!
RK23 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:06 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
I'm Gold and flying ORDLHR tonight in Premium Plus which is overbooked. For an op up, would a 1K in regular economy get the bump up to Polaris, or would they go by cabin, then status. I fully plan on flying PP. Just curious.
Myself and companion both got op-up tonight from Regular economy to Polaris EWR-LHR. Both 1K. I don't know though if there were any platinum or Gold in PP that were leapfrogged. We had been on WL for PP upgrade but it never cleared. All seats on plane were full and likely Y oversold.
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
Myself and companion both got op-up tonight from Regular economy to Polaris EWR-LHR. Both 1K. I don't know though if there were any platinum or Gold in PP that were leapfrogged. We had been on WL for PP upgrade but it never cleared. All seats on plane were full and likely Y oversold.
did they deduct the +Ps for prem plus? or did you get an OPUP all the way?
Old Apr 19, 22, 5:51 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
did they deduct the +Ps for prem plus? or did you get an OPUP all the way?
Just checked and they did deduct 17,500 miles (was MUA to PP) and looking at the boarding pass on my app it does say premium plus with purple color but a Polaris seat number (the paper boarding pass said Polaris).

Search this Thread