Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
2 or 3 misconnects, a few upgrades clear, a check-in cash upgrade or two -- no overbooking or op-ups.

And very doubtful you can purchase a new ticket below Q or V or even higher. To purchase a new ticket you need fare class inventory and a fare rule for which you meet all the conditions. Advance Purchase required will generally eliminate the lower fares. You can potentially SDC ( or irrops rebookings) onto the flight at a lower fare class, but you are not going purchase a new ticket for those fare classes.
Well, for what it's worth, the flight's now showing:
Available fare classes: J3 JN3 C3 D3 Z3 ZN3 P3 PN3 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y0 YN0 B0 M0 E0 U0 H0 HN0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0

App says : capacity 36, booked 25 (+8 blocked)

So perhaps this has moved from impossible to merely improbable. 2nd tier China is very elite light and passengers on these routes tend not to pay for upgrades. But given the weather in SFO, misconnects seem highly likely.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And very doubtful you can purchase a new ticket below Q or V or even higher. To purchase a new ticket you need fare class inventory and a fare rule for which you meet all the conditions. Advance Purchase required will generally eliminate the lower fares. You can potentially SDC ( or irrops rebookings) onto the flight at a lower fare class, but you are not going purchase a new ticket for those fare classes.
On the TPACs UA will often sell deep discount fares with no AP requirement. On SFO-CTU, they'll go all the way down to a K (must be ticketed one day prior to departure).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Edit: I may have chosen the wrong thread. I’m referring specifically to an op-up. I’m on a K fare so can’t apply a GPU. mods please move if I posted in the wrong place

I’m on flight UA32 LAX-NRT on Thursday 14th.

currently appears to be 16 seats oversold in Y. 16 J seats are blocked, and Y is showing as full. Not sure if I’m looking at the right place in the new app, but they appear to be selling upgrades for $6,286!

this combination seems too good to be true. If it stays this way, assuming there aren’t a massive number of misconnects I should be pretty safe for the op-up as a 1K right??

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2019 at 4:43 pm Reason: moved to Op-up thread
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david_oz
this combination seems too good to be true. If it stays this way, assuming there aren’t a massive number of misconnects I should be pretty safe for the op-up as a 1K right??
I would like my chances, yes. I see the same thing you do -- J4 Y0, 28 booked +16 blocked. Definitely an oversale in Y. But, yes, a spate of misconnects is definitely the risk you're running.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:43 am

Edit: I may have chosen the wrong thread. I’m referring specifically to an op-up. I’m on a K fare so can’t apply a GPU. mods please move if I posted in the wrong place

I’m on flight UA32 LAX-NRT on Thursday 14th.

currently appears to be 16 seats oversold in Y. 16 J seats are blocked, and Y is showing as full. Not sure if I’m looking at the right place in the new app, but they appear to be selling upgrades for $6,286!

they brought the upgrade price down to $989 this morning.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they brought the upgrade price down to $989 this morning.
It's now J4 ... PN4 PZ3 ... Y1...W1. At this moment, someone could book a one-way LAX-NRT seat for $604, become the 17th oversold passenger in Y, and then immediately apply a GPU / miles + copay to get a confirmed seat up front.

Barring misconnects, I still like your chances... with PZ3, it's likely that they've already cleared all instrument upgrades, so the question is whether or not there are 16-n other GS/1K passengers in Y who didn't use an instrument, where n is the number of TODs they sell. That still seems like a lot...

If you get really lucky, they'll sell a couple more tickets and completely block J inventory; if it goes to J0, they won't sell TODs.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's now J4 ... PN4 PZ3 ... Y1...W1.
T-15, it's blocked to 16, inventory is still J4 Y1, and the upgrade list consists of two NRSA. Barring a ton of misses, I'd guess they're going to be op-upping down to Gold.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:47 am

Just about to leave the gate on my connecting flight from Denver. At T-4 there are 14 blocked, seemingly 2 non standbys who will clear GPU’s 5 seats in inventory all the way down to G.

Weather in LA is apparently poor, but SFO is supposedly a mess. Fingers crossed some likely misconnects at SFO might get put onto my flight to offset any misconnects in LA.

Still hopeful this one will come through. But starting to sweat it a little bit. Upgrades are still going for about $900
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think they're running the op-ups now...

United PolarisSM business: 48 Booked: 34 Checked In: 35
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Open seats?

After checking in “full” for this flight, there are still 7 seats with gold color. This may mean that there were 7 op-upers. Hope that Op got one of them!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Now showing "full" with 2 open seats up front on the map. Yes, definitely hope the OP got an upgrade!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They give Op Ups to international J?

Even to Golds?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by wco81

Even to Golds?
What would you propose, that they strap them to the wings?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Why wouldn't they just leave them in coach?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81

Even to Golds?
An op-up is specifically an upgrade needed for operational reasons -- they oversold the Y cabin. Their choices are to move somebody to J or to put them on another flight and give out denied boarding compensation. The upgrades make much more sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.