Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remember when... [UA Nostalgia]?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Remember the mini (and some times micro-mini) skits the FAs used to wear?

Now, if you want an image that you'll never unforget, imagine UA's FAs today wearing micro-minis.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
come on, can we not try to be positive for once on Flyeryalk? Geeze.

And for what it's worth, the United First suite was a truly world class hard product back in 2000. CO, DL, and NW wouldn't have any flat bed product for another half a decade (not that their small networks could support F). That was a big deal and a real competitive distinction.
I have plenty of good UA memories, noted upthread.

But those were from before the mid 90s debacle of employee ownership that set up the failures of the 2000s.

The Dick Ferris years - those were true good old days UA. Grabbing the Pan Am routes, hospitality driven culture. That's something to remember.

Absent the strikes that color the 'good 'old days of every airline back then.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Flying connoisseur class on 747s.

Taking 727s from LHR to continental Europe.

Wide bodies between ORD and DEN.

3 class aircraft from JFK to the west coast.

Flying the largest airline in the world.

Differentiated ticket colors based on class of service instead of the bland tickets the new UA uses today.

Connecting through Miami from South America.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
*Tickets that are different colors with UNITED FIRST and UNITED BUSINESS written on top (total class IMO)
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I don't remember different colored tickets, but I remember when they would put your boarding passes into an envelope and the envelope was a different color based on class of service.
Not just different color, but higher quality stock. Silver was good, but Gold was best

*United ticket storefronts
I used to visit the one in Embarcadero 1 all the time to buy and upgrade tix to JFK and Europe. There would be four or five agents behind the counter, and it was still common to wait in line.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not just different color, but higher quality stock. Silver was good, but Gold was best

I used to visit the one in Embarcadero 1 all the time to buy and upgrade tix to JFK and Europe. There would be four or five agents behind the counter, and it was still common to wait in line.

Yes the gold stock was so much better. I still have one from after they discontinued the gold stock flying out of Bkk and with colored tulip on it as well.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

There was one near my house in Danville/San Ramon across the street from Costco. Used to book all travel there. Sad when they closed.

And yeah, the tickets had nice paper stock - I have a huge pile of unused "gold" United First that they were throwing away during the integration...use them as spare note paper to write on.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Seat 11F on the 767-200. Flying narrowbodies from JFK to the West Coast still doesn't feel right.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
I do miss the gold card stock pases
As well as the nice envelopes

I also miss the older style china
some of the noritake china from the 1980's is still the best in my mind
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
And .....
- the B747-SP's they acquired from PanAm
- the flight on Christmas Day when the Captain's wife and I were the only two passengers in the First Class cabin to SFO from LHR. And, the pilot asked if I minded his wife sitting at the back of the cabin
- Being able to take my packing case on that flight as carry on as I was the only F passenger!
- A picnic in the JFK First Class lounge with the Concierge team after there was a delay whilst they changed a windscreen on my SP to San Francisco
- 1K Rooms
- Free RCC membership for non-US elite members
- United calling me to rebook when the inaugural flight of the 777 was delayed
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:35 am

Remember when... [UA Nostalgia]?

As others have mentioned, my best memory is being able to walk into a city ticket office, talk to competent, professional staff, and walk out with an award ticket in hand. Australia, New Zealand in business class? Didn't matter - if you had the miles you got the ticket, with a minimum of effort.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Feb 20, 2015 at 8:06 am
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I remember when United and other airlines has a ticket office in Honolulu in (among other places) the Ala Moana Shopping Center Sears. Those agents were always busy, they were like friends, and they knew what they were doing.

I remember going in a month before my flight just to get a good seat selection.

While I admit that I can do this online these days, when you need it, these days good help is hard to find.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thumbs up Royal Pacific Service!

Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
As well as the nice envelopes
Ahhhh the envelopes - I loved those.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 22, 2015 at 2:14 pm Reason: repair of broken quote
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
Ahhhh the envelopes - I loved those.
I have a stack at home, both the blue and the gold ones. I travel with a Gold one to bring a little nostalgia with me.

If anyone wants one, I'd be happy to send them either a blue or a gold one, just PM me.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:43 am
grt

I remember when my wife and I got upgraded on a HNL-SFO red-eye in ~2007. I was a only a Premier Exec and had run out of upgrade certificates, she had no status and was flying on a MP award ticket (separate reservations). Still, they managed to figure out that we had the same name and had seats together, and upgraded us both. I could not believe my ears when they paged us. What are the chances now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.