Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fly to Europe on United or Partner (Silver Status)

Fly to Europe on United or Partner (Silver Status)

Old Feb 16, 15, 11:58 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Posts: 529
Fly to Europe on United or Partner (Silver Status)

I have silver status on United and have an upcoming trip to Vienna from SFO. It looks like my two best options are on United SFO-JFK-VIE which gives me ~11K award miles and ~13.5K PQM under the new fare rules, or on Turkish Airways SFO-IST-VIE which gives me 15K Award and PQM miles.

Total flight + layover time and cost are about the same so I'm indifferent on that ground.

I'm still trying to understand the new award rules, and trying to figure out which would be best.

Am I likely to get any value (upgrades, E+, etc?) from my United status by flying on United metal that I wouldn't get flying Turkish Airways or should I just try to maximize miles?

-EDIT-
I see as sbm12 pointed out that the JFK-VIE leg is on Austrian Air. Turkish Air flights would be in S fare class, so 100% Award mile earning.

Last edited by aza72; Feb 17, 15 at 12:18 am
aza72 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 12:03 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,156
Originally Posted by aza72 View Post
I have silver status on United and have an upcoming trip to Vienna from SFO. It looks like my two best options are on United SFO-JFK-VIE which gives me ~11K award miles and ~13.5K PQM under the new fare rules, or on Turkish Airways SFO-IST-VIE which gives me 15K Award and PQM miles.

Total flight + layover time and cost are about the same so I'm indifferent on that ground.

I'm still trying to understand the new award rules, and trying to figure out which would be best.

Am I likely to get any value (upgrades, E+, etc?) from my United status by flying on United metal that I wouldn't get flying Turkish Airways or should I just try to maximize miles?
Based on the itinerary you've published only SFO-JFK would be on UA metal (where you would get E+ seating if available at OLCI). JFK-VIE is going to be a codeshare flight operated by Austrian which is not known for having a great economy offering (tight space on the seats unless you buy up to exit row). You will earn PQDs on the UA ticket if that matters for your requalification efforts.

I like the TK product and LOVE Istanbul (I'm there right now,actually) so if you can afford a few hours on a layover to explore the city that would be an added bonus IMO.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 12:06 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,891
UA doesn't fly JFK-VIE. That must be an OS operated flight.

If you book the UA itinerary, the advantages are free E+ on SFO-JFK (if available at T-24) plus PQDs. You will not earn PQDs flying a TK-ticketed itinerary. On the other hand, TK has a superior product to UA.

Double-check your OS and TK fare classes. The cheaper OS fares accrue reduced PQMs, and not all TK fare classes accrue miles on UA.
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 10:55 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 707
I'd try to find a nonstop SFO to Europe, then take the shorter hop on a Star Alliance carrier; there's at least one flight on the random date I checked from SFO-FRA on UA metal, then an LH flight FRA-VIE.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 11:01 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WAS/ BOM
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,502
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
UA doesn't fly JFK-VIE. That must be an OS operated flight.

If you book the UA itinerary, the advantages are free E+ on SFO-JFK (if available at T-24) plus PQDs. You will not earn PQDs flying a TK-ticketed itinerary. On the other hand, TK has a superior product to UA.

Double-check your OS and TK fare classes. The cheaper OS fares accrue reduced PQMs, and not all TK fare classes accrue miles on UA.
Unless TK is flying the 773 ER on the SFO-IST route, TK's 330's and 340's are really cramped when it comes to space in Y class. OS from JFK-VIE is much better and a shorter flight. Unless you are flying Business, E+ to JFK and OS to VIE would be my vote purely in terms of comfort and PQD.
IADFlyer123 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 12:25 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,891
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
Unless TK is flying the 773 ER on the SFO-IST route
They are. 77W.
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 12:45 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Posts: 529
Lostincyberspace, I see that flight, but it is about $500 more RT and so my employer won't go for it.

Good point about the PQD, I just barely made the threshold last year, so definitely a consideration.
aza72 is offline  
Old Apr 4, 15, 12:06 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Posts: 529
Just wanted to thank Kacee and lost*in*cyberspace for the tips about OS and LH. I nearly booked a LH flight with UA codeshare, and then learned that you can't even reserve seats on LH without an extra charge. Middle seat on an 11 hour flight? Ugh.

I was able to find a flight on UA metal with a layover in BUD for significantly less. Thanks again, really been learning a lot from everyone here. Never would have been able to find this without being introduced to ITA and ExpertFlyer.
aza72 is offline  
Old Apr 4, 15, 12:11 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,156
Originally Posted by aza72 View Post
I was able to find a flight on UA metal with a layover in BUD for significantly less.
UA doesn't fly to BUD.
sbm12 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread