Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Club creditcard - Benefits, Q&A (to be converted to Chase UA Club Infinite)

Old Feb 15, 15, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dav3d
Previous thread Introducing the new United MileagePlus Club Card (officially)

Related links & threads:Chase United Card Benefits and United Premier Status Benefits

EMV chip + Signature (NOT PIN) enabled cards are now available

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year $395 Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Chase United Club Infinite Credit Card --- new offering

Improved Tiebreaker for Upgrades Waitlist
1. Premier Status
2. Fare Class
3. Chase United Club Card Holders
4. Corporate Preferred Members
5. Chase MP Cardholders meeting spend threshold
6. Time of Request
Spoiler

United Club Infinite Card Benefits for 2022

Earn on All Purchases:
  • 4x miles on United purchases
  • 2x miles on all other travel including airfare, trains, local transit, cruise lines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, resorts, ride share services and tolls.
  • 2x miles on dining including eligible delivery services.
  • 1x mile on all other purchases
United Club membership:
  • Up to a $650 value per year. Relax in comfort while waiting for your flight with complimentary beverages, snacks, high-speed Wi-Fi and more.

Credit card travel benefits:
  • Free first and second checked bags
  • For you and a companion, save up to $320 per roundtrip.
  • Premier Access travel services
  • Priority check-in, security, boarding, and baggage handling (where available).
  • Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
  • 25% back on United inflight purchases
  • No foreign transaction fees
MileagePlus program benefits:
  • Earn up to 4,000 Premier qualifying points
  • Effective January 1, 2022, youll earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 you spend on purchases (up to 4,000 PQP in a calendar year) that can be applied toward your Premier status qualification, up to the Premier 1K level. (N.B., Does not count for PQP only 1K qualification)
  • NEW: Save 10% on United Economy Saver Awards on United and United Express flights when traveling within the continental U.S. or between the continental U.S. and Canada.
  • No blackout dates for MileagePlus members booking award flights on United.
  • MileagePlus miles don't expire

Protection benefits:
  • Travel and purchase coverage
  • Travel and shop with confidence with built-in benefits including Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Purchase Protection and more.

Other benefits:
  • Complimentary DashPass from DoorDash
  • Your card unlocks a year of complimentary DashPass, meaning youll get unlimited delivery from the places you love with $0 delivery fees and lower service fees on eligible orders of $12 or more. After that, you are automatically enrolled in DashPass at the current monthly rate.
  • NEW: IHG Rewards Platinum Elite status
  • Starting in 2022, you will be eligible for Platinum Elite status in IHG Rewards. Plus, receive up to $75 in statement credits as reimbursement for IHG Hotels and Resorts purchases charged to your card in 2022.
  • Cardmembers can register here: https://promo.united.com/offers/ihgstatus
  • NEW: $70 discount on CLEAR membership. Plus earn 10,000 bonus miles if you sign up for CLEAR membership by June 30, 2022.
  • Luxury Hotels & Resort Collection:
  • Receive complimentary Cardmember benefits at luxury hotels and resorts worldwide.
Exclusive Cardmember events:
  • Purchase or use miles for unique experiences offered by United Card Events from Chase and United MileagePlus Exclusives.

Annual fee:
Previous Benefits:

Easier path to status for primary cardholders
  • Four UA operated segment requirement waived removed in 2020
  • With $25K annual spend, PQD requirements waived for Plat or lower status removed in 2020
  • Earn 500 PQP for each $12,000 spent, up to 1,000 PQP -- New for 2020

Travel Benefits
Rewards
  • Earn Miles on Every Purchase (1.5 miles per $1 spent on every purchase. and a total of 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United)
  • Complimentary Upgrades on Award Tickets for Premier Members (primary Cardmember)
  • No Close-in Award Travel Booking Fees
  • Any Seat, Any Time, With Your Miles
  • Miles Don't Expire
  • Award Travel on Star Alliance (based on inventory availability)
  • Car and Hotel Awards
  • Access to Merchandise purchasing with miles

Travel Protection
  • Baggage Delay Insurance
  • Lost Luggage Reimbursement
  • Trip Delay Reimbursement
  • Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance
  • Emergency Evacuation & Transportation
  • Travel Accident Insurance
  • Travel & Emergency Assistance Services
  • Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver

Purchase Protection
  • Extended Warranty Protection
  • Price Protection
  • Purchase Protection
  • Return Protection
Cell Phone Protection (theft / damage) (starting Nov 2019

Announcement 27 March 2012
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, obviously I'm a lilttle late to the game here, but, as you can see, today well officially be introducing the new United MileagePlus Club Card. I know theres been speculation on this, and Im sure there will be follow-up questions. To start, here are some key highlights of the United MileagePlus Club Card:

• As the card name suggests, a full United Club membership is included. If you already have a United Club membership, once approved for the card, youll be refunded for any unused portion of your membership as long as the refund is $15 or more (the refund is applicable to annual and three year memberships)

• There are some key benefits, too. Just like our Presidential Plus Card, the new Club Card is designed to enhance your total travel experience. Heres a list of the benefits (details for each can be found here):
  • Earn 50% more miles on ALL purchases. This is a new benefit. Cardmembers will earn at least 50% more miles on all purchases with the new Club Card. Specifically, for each $1 spent, Cardmembers will earn 1.5 miles, and when purchasing United tickets, the miles jump to 2 miles for every $1 spent on tickets
  • Free first and second standard checked bags for the Cardmember and one companion
  • Premier Access travel services, including priority check-in, security, boarding and baggage handling
  • Book award tickets close to the departure date without a fee. Well waive the fee for booking award tickets 21 days or less prior to departure. This benefit is reserved for certain Cardmembers and certain Premier levels
  • Get complimentary upgrades on award tickets (applicable for Premier members). Cardmembers who are also Premier members will be eligible to receive their complimentary upgrade benefits (where available) even when traveling on an award ticket in economy class
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Cardmembers will have access to last-seat award availability (applicable to general members)
  • As a Cardmember, miles dont expire
  • Invitation to special Avis benefits and Hyatt Platinum Elite status
  • Inside Access from Chase. As a Cardmember, you will be delighted with opportunities to attend private, curated, once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Visit InsideAccess.com to learn about upcoming events
  • Access to the Chases Luxury Hotels and Resorts Collection special rates and benefits
  • Premier travel and purchase protection, including primary auto rental collision damage coverage
  • 24/7 Concierge Services

For those of you who already have a credit card with Chase, heres some more information:

• Already have a Mileage Plus Club Visa Card? Youll find that the key differences are that the new Club Card has the added benefits of free checked bags, Premier Access, 50% mileage bonus on all purchases, award tickets close to departure date without a fee and complimentary upgrades on award tickets (applicable for Premier members where available). The new Club Card does not award Premier Qualifying Miles for purchases. More specific information about your current card and the new Club Card will arrive in the mail in late April

• Already have the Presidential Plus Card? The key difference is that the Presidential Plus Card awards Flexible Premier Qualifying Miles for purchases whereas the new Club Card awards a 50% mileage bonus on all purchases. Both cards earn 2 miles for every $1 spent on United tickets. If youre interested in changing over to the new Club Card, simply call the number on the back of your current card to discuss your options. While the Presidential Plus Card and its benefits will continue, we are not taking any additional applications for new Presidential Plus accounts

• Already have another United card from Chase? If you currently have another United card from Chase and want to switch, call the number on the back of your current card to discuss your options

For a full list of details, and to apply for the new Club Card, please visit MileagePlusClub.com.

As always, please let us know your questions.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights[
United Airlines
How long after applying for the card before I have UC access?
Chase / UA states (Offer Details)
Please allow 2 weeks after account open date for the United Club membership to activate
but it usually is quicker. At UCs, much of the time they will see it in under a week. *A lounges may require the physical card which may take 4-6 weeks. Those accepting the virtual card should work about the same as UCs.

For comparison see PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....[2014-2015]
and Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Print Wikipost

Chase MP Club creditcard - Benefits, Q&A (to be converted to Chase UA Club Infinite)

Old Apr 19, 15, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by highops View Post
If you spend around $25,000 per year Explorer is really a 1.4 miles per dollar because of the 10,000 mile bonus. If you spend less or a lot more Club is way ahead.
I went through similar calculation just two weeks ago before switching from Explorer to Club card and my thinking is that it would be hard for me to do between $25K and 30K.....I could end up spending 10K or more than 35K on Explorer and hence for my calculation, I assumed the Club card would always have $10,000 spending advantage, or 5,000 miles. If you value the miles at 2 cents, that equals to $100. Now, I have to recover $295 from lounge access -- which I value at $25 per visit, Premier access ($10), Hyatt Platinum ($50) and Hertz (not sure and hence I assumed $20). The outlier is that the Club card could have more than $10K spending advantage and I could end up flying UA twice of what I assumed.

Last edited by jediwho; Apr 19, 15 at 9:16 pm
Old Apr 20, 15, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
yes
, sum of all Chase MP cards
yes but does not seem to have much utility

yes
Thank you! Re. the 2:1 Biz benefit, I'll need to re-scan my intro materials as I didn't see it mentioned, maybe I just missed it.
Old Apr 25, 15, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Question: how long does it take for UA systems to pick up my membership via the Club card? I just got approved for it, and I can see the new account on chase.com, but I doubt if I'll get the card in the mail before my next few flights.
Old Apr 25, 15, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley View Post
Question: how long does it take for UA systems to pick up my membership via the Club card? I just got approved for it, and I can see the new account on chase.com, but I doubt if I'll get the card in the mail before my next few flights.
i think its immediate. you can scan your boarding pass to entrez.
Old Apr 25, 15, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Took me a few days to get the credit card and more than three weeks to get the Club card but on UA's Website, they had me as a club member before I had got my credit card.
Old Apr 25, 15, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by jediwho View Post
Besides the question in the last sentence are you also asking whether the decision to go with Explorer and Sapphire is a logical decision or was it just a statement?
Just a statement. I downgraded club -> explorer and opened a chase sapphire. For a 1K with chase sapphire, the only marginal benefit is award ticket upgrades, so I'm basically paying $90 for them... (And to avoid the pain of closing a credit card account).

Though, if you have comments on whether or not it was logical, I'd be happy to hear .

The following is also interesting and could maybe be exploited. When switching between explorer <=> club,
- your annual statement fee takes between 1 and 6 months to be assessed
- if you switch before a year, the fee is refunded in full
- your club membership lasts > 1 year (I think 13-14 months) and continues even after switching club => explorer
Old Apr 25, 15, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho View Post
Took me a few days to get the credit card and more than three weeks to get the Club card but on UA's Website, they had me as a club member before I had got my credit card.
Applied online, got an email that they would let me know, but never did.

CC arrived a few weeks later, Club Card about three weeks after that. UA membership in my profile and another online account at Chase.com was there before I got anything (and yes, I check my SPAM folder). Probably a week or so before Card arrived.
Old Apr 25, 15, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigwings8 View Post
Just a statement. I downgraded club -> explorer and opened a chase sapphire. For a 1K with chase sapphire, the only marginal benefit is award ticket upgrades, so I'm basically paying $90 for them... (And to avoid the pain of closing a credit card account).

Though, if you have comments on whether or not it was logical, I'd be happy to hear .

The following is also interesting and could maybe be exploited. When switching between explorer <=> club,
- your club membership lasts > 1 year (I think 13-14 months) and continues even after switching club => explorer
As both the Explorer and Sapphire cards are from Chase just have them move the credit line from the Explorer and add it to the Sapphire cards credit line and cancel the Explorer that way it won't have an effect on your credit utilization part of your credit score. If that is why you think closing it is a pain.
Old Apr 25, 15, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by bigwings8 View Post

I take about eight round trips a year and three to four on UA/Star Alliance. I still decided to go with the Club Card about a month ago.

We have our own reasoning. Mine was based on how much lounges we use and points. While I take fewer flights and fly less than people with 1K status, I use lounges a lot. Almost each time before boarding and majority of the times at the destination airport as well.

For points perspective, Explorer gives you 1.4 pointsper $ if you spend exactly $25K. My thinking is that it would be hard for me to do between $25K and 30K.....I could end up spending 10K or more than 35K on Explorer and hence for my calculation, I assumed the Club card would always have $10,000 spending advantage, or 5,000 miles. If you value the miles at 2 cents, that equals to $100. Now, I have to recover $295 from lounge access -- which I value at $25 per visit ($150 a year), Premier access ($10 per visit or $75 per year), Hyatt Platinum ($50) and Hertz (not sure and hence I assumed $20).

The outlier is that the Club card could have more than $10K spending advantage and I could end up flying UA twice of what I assumed. So, it's a break even proposition. Everything else, like a CSR getting on the phone within 20 seconds, concierge service, emergency evacuation and better travel and emergency assistance services are gravy.
Old Apr 28, 15, 9:28 pm

I've had this card for 6 months. I'm a heavy United flyer and spend probably $5-8k/month on this card (thank u Redbird!). I just asked for a retention offer, and got the standard $150 statement credit or 15,000 miles.

Highly recommend all Chase MP users to call in and ask for retention. I'm unsure if I'll keep this in year 2, but if they offer me the same retention bonus at the year mark when the $395 fee hits then I will consider it.
Old Apr 28, 15, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by jcl22 View Post
I've had this card for 6 months. I'm a heavy United flyer and spend probably $5-8k/month on this card (thank u Redbird!). I just asked for a retention offer, and got the standard $150 statement credit or 15,000 miles.

Highly recommend all Chase MP users to call in and ask for retention. I'm unsure if I'll keep this in year 2, but if they offer me the same retention bonus at the year mark when the $395 fee hits then I will consider it.
How did you word your question for the retention offer? Also, will you keep this card if Amex kills the Redbird gig?
Old May 11, 15, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC
I upgraded my Explorer card to the Club card last week. It looks like my UA profile has been updated to reflect my status as a Club cardmember. Few questions:

• Will the benefits of the Club card carry over to existing reservations? I have a few reservations that were made with the Explorer card that still show only one free checked bag. What about Premier Access benefits?
  • How do I know that my Club membership has been activated and attached to my MP number? United.com still allows me to purchase a Club membership on the "Subscriptions" page. I read somewhere that I'd receive an error message on that page if I already had a Club membership.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old May 11, 15, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
I upgraded my Explorer card to the Club card last week.
  • Will the benefits of the Club card carry over to existing reservations?
A friend of mine earlier this year purchased a United ticket with an old United Select Visa card. She then called in and got them to close that card, open a new Explorer card with a new card number and give her promotional miles for getting the new card. And yet, her United reservation then reflected a free checked bag and she was in Boarding Group 2 when she flew. So she received the card benefits even though she booked with an older card. She has no status so the card is the only thing that could have given her benefits.

Since you upgraded an existing card it seems that you should get the higher benefits based on my friend's experience. But who knows for sure?
Old May 14, 15, 12:05 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
I upgraded my Explorer card to the Club card last week. It looks like my UA profile has been updated to reflect my status as a Club cardmember. Few questions:

• Will the benefits of the Club card carry over to existing reservations? I have a few reservations that were made with the Explorer card that still show only one free checked bag. What about Premier Access benefits?
  • How do I know that my Club membership has been activated and attached to my MP number? United.com still allows me to purchase a Club membership on the "Subscriptions" page. I read somewhere that I'd receive an error message on that page if I already had a Club membership.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Just a follow-up for those interested:

• About 4 or 5 days after upgrading from Explorer, my existing reservations now show that they were booked with the Club card and are eligible for two free checked bags.
  • My Club membership appeared in the 'Subscriptions' section of my account around the same time (4-5 days after upgrading). I accessed the PHX club today by simply providing my MP number and boarding pass. I'm assuming the actual Club membership card will arrive in a few weeks.
Old May 29, 15, 10:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, HHonors
Does having a Club card make you ineligible to receive the 50k bonus for signing up for an Explorer card? It's a little unclear if the 24 month rule would apply in that situation, since you aren't getting a mileage bonus for signing up for the Club card.

I'm looking at getting a Club card now with the first year fee waived, and then cancelling and signing up for the Explorer card next year sometime before the annual fee kicks in. I'd like to be able to still get the 50k bonus (assuming its being offered at the time, which seems to be a relatively safe bet).

Thanks!

Search this Thread