Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anandrag
I'm going GUM-EWR via HNL....
Booked a few months ago and confirmed at booking with RPUs since it had R available.
EWR-HNL J
5 days
HNL-GUM Island Hopper Y
4 days
GUM-HNL-SFO J

IIRC in the IH thread there may have been comments about a period where RPUs were going through if it went GUM to Mainland.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Booked a few months ago and confirmed at booking with RPUs since it had R available.
EWR-HNL J
5 days
HNL-GUM Island Hopper Y
4 days
GUM-HNL-SFO J

IIRC in the IH thread there may have been comments about a period where RPUs were going through if it went GUM to Mainland.
Ok will call and try again... Did it online for other upgrades
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:59 pm

Ok will call and try again... Did it online for other upgrades
I did it online. Not sure it an agent will help but may get lucky.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thx. No being offered when use Upgrade tab. All other flights being offered. Weird
You can't upgrade Bulk tickets... Not even by Miles + $$Cash..

Did you book directly on United?
Or was this a Priceline, Expedia or Travel Agent Ticket?

I had an itinerary like this, even HUACA many times. No dice..
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by schnitzer
You can't upgrade Bulk tickets... Not even by Miles + $$Cash..

Did you book directly on United?
Or was this a Priceline, Expedia or Travel Agent Ticket?

I had an itinerary like this, even HUACA many times. No dice..
Not bulk. Bought on United.com
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: AC E50, UA 1K 108,678 miles 2014
Not bulk. Bought on United.com
Think you need at least a W fare to use a gpu. Anything less than that and it will not allow instrument usage.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Baley
Think you need at least a W fare to use a gpu. Anything less than that and it will not allow instrument usage.
Correct need a W fare or higher for the GPU. You can use miles + copay for all fares.

And I was able to use an RPU last year when I had immediate connecting segments back to the mainland but the glitch seems to have been fixed.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Correct need a W fare or higher for the GPU. You can use miles + copay for all fares.

And I was able to use an RPU last year when I had immediate connecting segments back to the mainland but the glitch seems to have been fixed.
^^^ what he/she said. You need W fare as a minimum and will more than likely pay a pretty good copay.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Ugleeual
^^^ what he/she said. You need W fare as a minimum and will more than likely pay a pretty good copay.
I was wondering about RPU though. Understand GPU reqs. Seems others have been able to use RPU
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I was wondering about RPU though. Understand GPU reqs. Seems others have been able to use RPU
They have also said it was a bug that seems to have been fixed.

UA's upgrade chart says RPUs cannot be used HNL-GUM:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t.aspx#regions
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Bug has definitely been fixed. I can personally attest to that fact. However, even with the bug I think people were only able to use it when a W fare or higher was available.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Bug has definitely been fixed. I can personally attest to that fact. However, even with the bug I think people were only able to use it when a W fare or higher was available.
It worked on S fare for me. Not sure the pecking order off the top of my head but I think it's below W, no?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It worked on S fare for me. Not sure the pecking order off the top of my head but I think it's below W, no?
Definitely below W
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
An agent was able to apply a GPU on K fare (HKG-GUM-HNL-EWR) and the first two flights were cleared instantly. Unfortunately, I did not want to waste a GPU for GUM-HNL.So, I put the GPU back and used a RPU on HKG-GUM. The implication of this is that RPU was no longer valid for GUM-HNL, but GPU on any fare worked for GUM-HNL. Anyway, this is just a recent data point (about ten days ago). Happy travel.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
An agent was able to apply a GPU on K fare (HKG-GUM-HNL-EWR) and the first two flights were cleared instantly. Unfortunately, I did not want to waste a GPU for GUM-HNL.So, I put the GPU back and used a RPU on HKG-GUM. The implication of this is that RPU was no longer valid for GUM-HNL, but GPU on any fare worked for GUM-HNL. Anyway, this is just a recent data point (about ten days ago). Happy travel.
Bizarre

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.