Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by Often1
Don't torture yourself about the word "international". HNL-GUM is domestic and GUM-NRT is international. But, UA is free to define these terms for its own services as it chooses. All kinds of carriers do that with services within North America, e.g., US-Mexico and the like.

The rationale for why UA does not do freebies on HNL-GUM is simply supply & demand. Same thing with as to why UA serves 2 Y meals on EWR-LHR, but none on EWR-LAX/SFO and so on.

Despite OP's two experiences, the route is one where there are many businesses which will pay for premium cabin Mainland US - TKY, but with a cap. Because Mainland-HNL-GUM-NRT is cheaper than the various non-stops (and service standard lower too) those with caps will pay for premium using the slow boat only. No reason to compete against yourself by giving away what you can sell.
I've taken this route 8 times. 50%+ C cabin are filled with NRSA. Apparently they think NRSA are more valuable than over-entitled elites...
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cloudybw
I've taken this route 8 times. 50%+ C cabin are filled with NRSA. Apparently they think NRSA are more valuable than over-entitled elites...
Or they think people buying W fares + GPU are more valuable than people buying lowest fare available + RPU.

Personally, I think the real reason is it separates the two RPU regions (US and Oceana) so you can't RPU all the way from Boston to HKG.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by raehl311
Personally, I think the real reason is it separates the two RPU regions (US and Oceana) so you can't RPU all the way from Boston to HKG.
Unless you pick UA 154, the island hopper
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:53 pm

OP, Your headline asks, "Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights?" You then go on to question GUM-NRT flights. Perhaps you could edit for consistency.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Indelaware
OP, Your headline asks, "Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights?" You then go on to question GUM-NRT flights. Perhaps you could edit for consistency.
yes totally I meant GUM-HNL thank you for catching me error I have corrected my initial post.

I mean in general, I do not think this should be CPU, at all, but my post was why should this be GPU over RPU, as clearly its the same plane and service as the HNL-DEN/SFO/IAH/LAX flights when they just require a RPU

And I don't think the fact people might try to go from USA-Asia the LONG way should have any consideration, because the only people that would do that are the FT'ers haha
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I recently Booked LAX-HNL-GUM-HKG and the LAX-HNL and GUM-HKG say eligible for CPU but not the HNL-GUM is this correct. I read above, but just making sure.. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been looking at this flight on numerous occasions. Often it is booked about 50% at T-24, with a long upgrade list (some 20 names not uncommon), which clears shortly before take-off. Was always wondering, who are those folks and how do they upgrade?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I have been looking at this flight on numerous occasions. Often it is booked about 50% at T-24, with a long upgrade list (some 20 names not uncommon), which clears shortly before take-off. Was always wondering, who are those folks and how do they upgrade?
NRSA
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:48 pm

Unless you pick UA 154, the island hopper
island hopper from hnl to gum direct is not cpu or rpu eligible
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
HNL-GUM upgraded with RPU

removed

Last edited by tonykline1947; Jul 16, 2015 at 5:29 pm Reason: rpu was removed
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yup, does look like it's marketed United First instead of BusinessFirst. Interesting.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:18 pm

Interesting! I'm tempted to make a dummy booking to try it out. As of April 2015, UA was still requiring a GPU on this route.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {maybe not always?}

Why isn't your GUM-HKG eligible for upgrade? It's considered a domestic flight.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Originally Posted by schnitzer
it shows as CPU eligible.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by schnitzer
Originally Posted by tonykline1947
it shows as CPU eligible.
This is very interesting. I'm going to be booking for a Guam trip soon so I'll route through HNL to check this out. I feel there seems to be an error because you should have been able to use the RPU all the way to HKG since GUM-HKG is CPU and RPU eligible.

However, if UA is allowing RPUs from GUM-HNL that would be good since the service has been significantly downgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.