Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sf4dfish
In the past when applying a RPU for my SFO/HNL/GUM/MNL, on a 'K' fare, I was able to apply ONE RPU to upgrade the 1st & 3rd segments. I was not able to apply online, like I did in the past,
so I called the 1K line for help and an agent and a supervisor told me it's not possible unless I use TWO RPU's! Is this a recent change?
HUCA, although if the supervisor annotated your record, you may be out of luck. It's usually best not to escalate when you know the agent is wrong. Once something gets written into the record, it's essentially your personal policy.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, currently HNL to anything west of the Hawaiian Islands requires a GPU (to NRT, GUM, and MAJ/KWA/KSA/PNI/TKK).
I didn't know this to be anything else but a GPU. I have done the HNL -NRT route several times over the years and it has always required a GPU/miles (never cleared fwiw).
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Emailed United about the discrepancy with this route

I finally decided to reach out to UA’s 1K desk about this route. I know it’s united’s prerogative to do whatever they want with their rewards program, but it’s awfully self-serving on this route. I’m flying it in two weeks and I find it absurd you need a GPU and W fare class to upgrade this. The difference between my K and the W just on the one way back to the US from Manila was more than $600.

My argument to them was its it’s either an international flight and baggage and meals should be included (they still make you buy on board food for a 7 hour flight) or it’s a domestic flight and you should be able to RPU without fare class requirement. It’s the same equipment that runs from Chicago, Denver, and Houston to Honolulu - all equal or longer flights.

I doubt they’ll do anything, but it’s gonna be jammed pack in economy and a miserable flight with 10 across in high density economy. Every seat gets filled with Non-Revs. If the timing didn’t work out so well to be able to take a red eye from Manila and wake up two mornings later in San Francisco and just be six hours later than you left - I’d have gone through Taipei or Narita.

Will share the response I get.

Happy travels.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
I finally decided to reach out to UA’s 1K desk about this route. I know it’s united’s prerogative to do whatever they want with their rewards program, but it’s awfully self-serving on this route. I’m flying it in two weeks and I find it absurd you need a GPU and W fare class to upgrade this. The difference between my K and the W just on the one way back to the US from Manila was more than $600.

My argument to them was its it’s either an international flight and baggage and meals should be included (they still make you buy on board food for a 7 hour flight) or it’s a domestic flight and you should be able to RPU without fare class requirement. It’s the same equipment that runs from Chicago, Denver, and Houston to Honolulu - all equal or longer flights.

I doubt they’ll do anything, but it’s gonna be jammed pack in economy and a miserable flight with 10 across in high density economy. Every seat gets filled with Non-Revs. If the timing didn’t work out so well to be able to take a red eye from Manila and wake up two mornings later in San Francisco and just be six hours later than you left - I’d have gone through Taipei or Narita.

Will share the response I get.

Happy travels.
I am sure that you will get a canned response. United wants to make its own employees (NonRevs) happy. No change will happen, sadly.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My argument to them was its it’s either an international flight and baggage and meals should be included (they still make you buy on board food for a 7 hour flight) or it’s a domestic flight and you should be able to RPU without fare class requirement. It’s the same equipment that runs from Chicago, Denver, and Houston to Honolulu - all equal or longer flights.....
Note this not just a HNL-GUM situation, it is also true for Northern South America.

UA has a rules for Domestic (all 50 states), Canada, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean (effectively North America) -- PLUS for the shorter Oceania flights. With the RPU required on routes that are guaranteed lie-flats.

Then for all other International have international rules. But not all of those are Polaris flights (including GUM, Northern South America)

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I am sure that you will get a canned response. United wants to make its own employees (NonRevs) happy. No change will happen, sadly.
Sorry this gets a bit tiring to hear. If this was true would there be CPU or elimination of 3 class flights or many other recent changes. This is clearly not a significant factor in UA decision making.

Yes, UA employees have certain travel preqs (as do many other business have preqs for their employees) but it pretty clear UA management is willing (and has) to make business decisions that will negatively impact those preqs. I see nothing suggesting employee preqs have anything to do with this route decision -- it is a business decision. UA has shown a willingness to diminished those preqs but perhaps you would like more of the preqs removed (that's your right).
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Careful what you wish for. UA could easily address your concern by requiring GPUs for the long Hawaii routes.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Careful what you wish for. UA could easily address your concern by requiring GPUs for the long Hawaii routes.
That might be helpful to some us who fly to EWR fairly frequently but rarely fly international if the RPU pool was eliminated.....
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That might be helpful to some us who fly to EWR fairly frequently but rarely fly international if the RPU pool was eliminated.....
This is of course a matter of interpretation, but I think most of the competition comes from cash not certificates.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
For those who don't originate in a UA hub, say BOS, would you apply the RPU from BOS-EWR-HNL? I understand that RPU will apply even if only the short leg is upgraded, or do you prefer only applying the RPU to EWR-HNL and then just hope for a CPU on BOS-EWR?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ALGU
For those who don't originate in a UA hub, say BOS, would you apply the RPU from BOS-EWR-HNL? I understand that RPU will apply even if only the short leg is upgraded, or do you prefer only applying the RPU to EWR-HNL and then just hope for a CPU on BOS-EWR?
If waitlisting call to request only EWR-HNL, and then if it clears call again to add BOS-EWR. For short routes the RPU doesn't usually make the difference between clearing and not anyway.
ALGU likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Yes, UA employees have certain travel preqs (as do many other business have preqs for their employees) but it pretty clear UA management is willing (and has) to make business decisions that will negatively impact those preqs. I see nothing suggesting employee preqs have anything to do with this route decision -- it is a business decision. UA has shown a willingness to diminished those preqs but perhaps you would like more of the preqs removed (that's your right).
I flew this route several times. The number of nonRevs passengers easily exceeded one hundred each time. The business cabin was filled up with some of NonRevs because there were very few paying passengers and nobody would pay W and apply a GPU for upgrade. If RPUs could be used, nonRevs would not get those business seats so easily.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I flew this route several times. ...
My point was not that non-revs made use of this flight (in any system, folks find the case of maximum advantage for them -- aka FT), but rather it a bit far fetched to state the reason this flight requires a GPU is to provide protection for the non-revs. This flight requires a GPU because it is consistent with UA's practice on other flights and not this worn-out FT cliche. UA has shown no hesitancy to make flights harder for non-revs if UA felt that was an overriding business case
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Note this not just a HNL-GUM situation, it is also true for Northern South America.

UA has a rules for Domestic (all 50 states), Canada, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean (effectively North America) -- PLUS for the shorter Oceania flights. With the RPU required on routes that are guaranteed lie-flats.

Then for all other International have international rules. But not all of those are Polaris flights (including GUM, Northern South America)

Sorry this gets a bit tiring to hear. If this was true would there be CPU or elimination of 3 class flights or many other recent changes. This is clearly not a significant factor in UA decision making.

I understand - but on those routes, you also get a free meal in economy. On GUM-HNL you don't get a free meal. That's what I'm calling out. If you want to provide an international level of service to require me to use a GPU with a minimum fare class, treat the economy passengers as you would on other economy international flights. I know the Governor of Guam called out UA when they made the decision to scrap the meal and reduce service offerings on the flight, but nothing ever came of it. Same will likely hold true with my email to the 1K desk.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'd actually be okay with that too. The RPUs are basically worthless to me living abroad. I give them away and hope they work for my family (and they often don't). I had a friend who didn't even clear on IAD-AUS last month with an RPU.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2019 at 10:56 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to provide an international level of service to require me to use a GPU with a minimum fare class, treat the economy passengers as you would on other economy international flights.
I fail to see any relationship between free meals and GPUs. Why the focus on what you're upgrading from instead of what you're upgrading to?

Anyway, PZ is often readily available on that flight, so it's $600 for a guaranteed upgrade, which isn't a bad offer in my book. And, if you want to save the GPU, you can use miles + copay and the $600 comes back if it doesn't clear.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: OnePass - Platinum, MileagePlus - 1K (Linked)
That's how it is for GUM.

This is the life of a passenger from GUM. We're international when it serves UA and domestic when it serves UA. I joked with the flight attendant that it must be domestic because we have to buy food, but it's also international because the duty free cart was coming right after. She was not amused.

I recently had a typical airplane meal (butter chicken) for free in economy on a 757 from the east coast to LAX, but I can't get one between HNL and GUM.

Business on this route is far from Polaris anything. I rarely try to use GPUs on this route unless I can get it to apply to other segments on the itinerary as well. I would much rather use a GPU on a flight from Narita to the mainland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.