Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Choice Points Q&A [Consolidated] (Moved to Chase.com, renamed Pay Yourself Back)

Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
January 2024 -- Moved to Chase.com and renamed Pay Your Self Back
Noted -- The Chase Annual Fee had moved in 2011, now the flight reimbursement has moved and UA Choices site closed.
  • Sign into your account here
  • Click on "More" on the top right corner of your account page
  • Select "Rewards dashboard" from the menu
  • Choose "Use MileagePlus miles with Pay Yourself Back" on the top navigation bar
The Choices Points program was started in 2006 and is a method for using Chase MP branded earned miles (RDMs) to "pay" for a UA ticket charged to the credit card. These tickets are normal paid tickets and fully earn miles and elite credit. Statement credit redemption is at 1 cpm. (minimums applied, maximum is ticket cost)

Additionally, you can "pay" your Chase annual card fee. (rate varies, in 2020/2021 it has been increased to 1.5 cpm)

Note flight miles and miles from other sources are not eligible. Signup bonuses have qualified in the past.

There were other features originally, such as purchasing EQMs, but that has been discontinued.

To redeem or see balance, go to www.united.com/Choices

MileagePlus Choices Terms and Conditions Aug 2021

Important: Your participation in MileagePlus Choices ("Choices") is governed by (i) the following terms and conditions and (ii) the MileagePlus Program Rules found on united.com and expressly incorporated herein by reference (collectively the "Choices Terms and Conditions"). It is your responsibility to read and understand all of them. The Choices Terms and Conditions cannot be superseded or changed, except in writing from United Airlines, or any of its affiliates, (collectively, "United").

General conditions
Choices is offered at the discretion of United and United has the right to terminate Choices, in whole or in part, or to change the Choices Terms and Conditions, benefits and conditions of participation, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice, even though changes may affect the value of benefits already accumulated.

"You" and "your" means the primary Cardmember on the MileagePlus credit card account and whose MileagePlus account number is associated with the account ("Cardmember"). "MileagePlus credit card" includes United branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. ("Chase") that accrue MileagePlus award miles.

Award miles accrued with your MileagePlus credit card and transferred to your MileagePlus account based on eligible card activity, including, but not limited to, credit card purchases, Chase promotional offers, and anniversary renewals, are available for use in Choices. Award miles earned (i) for flight activity, (ii) through MileagePlus partners, (iii) for Chase non-credit card activity including, but not limited to, debit/check card purchases or home equity advances, and (iv) for activity that is rewarded by third parties as bonuses associated with use of the MileagePlus credit card will be credited to your MileagePlus award miles balance but are not eligible for use in Choices. Your Choices balance is a subset of your MileagePlus award miles balance and not a separate balance. Your Choices balance can be found by visiting www.united.com/choices. You must have previously earned award miles with your MileagePlus credit card and be a current Cardmember to be able to login. Also, if you close your MileagePlus credit card account, you will forfeit your Choices balance.

Award miles accrued with your MileagePlus credit card will continue to be reflected in your award miles balance. In addition to the options available to MileagePlus members, Choices offers more ways to use miles that are exclusive to Cardmembers. Any Choices activity using award miles will result in a reduction of your MileagePlus award miles balance. You cannot have a greater Choices balance than your MileagePlus award miles balance.

The MileagePlus account number used for both Choices and the credit card account where the MileagePlus award miles were earned must be the same. You must be the primary Cardmember to use Choices. You cannot use your award miles through Choices for a statement credit on another person's MileagePlus credit card account.

Choices Airfare Statement Credit
To use Choices for an airfare statement credit, purchase any United ticket on united.com with your MileagePlus credit card. Flights purchased through any other source, such as United General Reservations, United Vacations, travel agencies or other travel websites, are not eligible. When the purchase posts to your credit card account, login at www.united.com/chase to use award miles earned with your MileagePlus credit card for an airfare statement credit against that charge.

No blackouts means any flight available on united.com can be purchased for Choices any day of the year. No inventory restriction indicates that any open seat on any available flight on united.com is eligible for Choices. Award miles earned with your MileagePlus credit card can be used against a ticket purchased on united.com through Choices for an airfare statement credit up to the full cost of the ticket.

Airfare statement credit requested may not exceed the ticket purchase amount charged to your MileagePlus credit card. Partial statement credits are allowed with a minimum of 5,000 award miles. However, only one statement credit request can be made per unique transaction.

You must submit your request within 90 days of the ticket purchase date.

Award miles are deducted at time of request. Please allow 5-7 days for the credit to appear on your credit card account. Since award miles earned with your MileagePlus credit card are reflected in your MileagePlus account balance, any activity through Choices will result in a reduction in your MileagePlus account balance. Use of award miles through Choices for an airfare statement credit made on or near the end of your monthly billing cycle may take up to one billing cycle to appear on your monthly billing statement. You are responsible for making your monthly credit card payment according to the terms and conditions of your account to avoid any late fees or finance charges.

For rejected requests, award miles initially deducted will be reversed.

E-mail confirmation will be sent to you to indicate a successful redemption and statement credit posting to your credit card account.

The MileagePlus account number used for both Choices and the credit card account where the MileagePlus award miles were earned must be the same. You must be the primary MileagePlus Cardmember to use Choices. You cannot use your award miles through Choices for an airfare statement credit on another person's MileagePlus credit card account.

Airline ticket changes, cancellations and refunds are subject to the rules of the airline ticket.

Award miles used in Choices cannot be returned or re-deposited by you.

MileagePlus and Chase reserve the right to reverse Choices air statement credits where the original ticket purchase is refunded. Award miles used will be re-deposited in your account and the Choices airfare statement credit will be reversed on your MileagePlus credit card account. In the event a reversal is required, an administrative fee of 2,500 award miles may be deducted from your MileagePlus account and will appear on your MileagePlus statement as an adjustment.

The number of award miles required depends upon the cost of the airline ticket including all taxes and fees and the amount of the airfare statement credit requested. You are responsible for all associated taxes, airport security charges, baggage fees, fuel surcharges and other usage fees required for travel. These charges will be included in the overall calculation to determine the number of award miles required for the airfare statement credit. The number of award miles required is subject to change at any time without notice.

Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement
Current Cardmembers may apply award miles through Choices towards one Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement per MileagePlus credit card account per 12-month period ("Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement"). Award miles used for an Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement cannot be returned or re-deposited.

Cardmember must submit an Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement request within 90 days of the annual membership fee transaction date on your credit card account.

The amount of the Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement requested may not exceed the annual membership fee billed to your monthly billing statement. One Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement request (full or partial) per 12 month period is allowed per credit card account.

Award miles are deducted from your MileagePlus account at the time you make your request. Please allow 5-7 days for the Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement to appear on your credit card account. Requests for an Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement made on or near the end of your monthly billing cycle may take up to one billing cycle to appear on your monthly billing statement. You are still responsible for making your monthly credit card payment according to the terms and conditions of your account to avoid any late fees or finance charges.

For rejected requests, award miles initially deducted will be reversed.

E-mail confirmation will be sent to you to indicate a successful redemption and statement credit posting to your credit card account.
Original pre-merger thread on Choice Points

Print Wikipost

MP Choice Points Q&A [Consolidated] (Moved to Chase.com, renamed Pay Yourself Back)

Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I thought it only worked with certain cards. I get choice points for my old signature card but not my presidential plus card.
It works, the best I can tell, with all legacy UA cards and post merge UA cards. I used primarily the Club card (but also had the Platimun card until a year ago) and my Choices Balance has continued to increase

So it may have not worked with the PresPlus which had its own unique benefits, but it works for many Chase UA cards (not sure about TravelBank card, which did not earn miles -- may for the Gateway) and there is no reason to believe it will not work for the new card.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It works, the best I can tell, with all legacy UA cards and post merge UA cards. I used primarily the Club card (but also had the Platimun card until a year ago) and my Choices Balance has continued to increase

So it may have not worked with the PresPlus which had its own unique benefits, but it works for many Chase UA cards (not sure about TravelBank card, which did not earn miles -- may for the Gateway) and there is no reason to believe it will not work for the new card.
Well now I feel better and this is graet news! Maybe will give the Quest card a try.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
For those who got this card, is UA offering a value of 1.5cpm to cover the annual fee?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
For those who got this card, is UA offering a value of 1.5cpm to cover the annual fee?
never noticed anything about that when I applied/was approved for the card.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Can not check the going rate as I don't have a card near renewal but the Choice Points statement credit appears to be independent of card -- so whatever rate is offered for any card is available for all Chase UA branded cards.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
never noticed anything about that when I applied/was approved for the card.
It's not an official benefit.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
Where do you hear about that?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:01 am

Are you referring to something different than the Choice Points statement credit, which is official
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:52 am

Are you referring to something different than the Choice Points statement credit, which is official
Referring to the 1.5cpm rate, which only started during the pandemic AFAIK.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:09 pm

It is a recent rate and it is not card specific or card related. That statement credit is the Choice Points program and it was still true a couple of months back -- but you have to AF fee pending to see the present rate.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:48 pm

It is a recent rate and it is not card specific or card related. That statement credit is the Choice Points program and it was still true a couple of months back -- but you have to AF fee pending to see the present rate.
Hence my question to people who just got this card and have an AF on their account.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:05 pm

Hence my question to people who just got this card and have an AF on their account.
The original question made it seem like something unique for this card plus there was no mention of how to do the statement credit or where to find the rate. I was confused as were other posters.

So others can answer your query, if they have any Chase MP card AF recently posted, go to https://choices.unitedmileageplus.com/annualFee .
It will required providing your UA account and password. If eligible, your Chase MP card will so as an option, select it and go to the reimbursement section and see how miles and the offered cpm. Note you need miles earned / bonus from a Chase MP card and not air travel miles from UA to fund the statement credit.

This statement credit is available for any Chase MP card with an AF (recently posted).
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
So others can answer your query, if they have any Chase MP card AF recently posted, go to https://choices.unitedmileageplus.com/annualFee .

It will require providing your UA account and password. If eligible, your Chase MP card will [show] as an option, select it and go to the reimbursement section and see how [many] miles and the offered cpm. Note you need miles earned / bonus from a Chase MP card and not air travel miles from UA to fund the statement credit.

This statement credit is available for any Chase MP card with an AF (recently posted).
Thanks for the link!

The annual fee must have posted within the past 90 days.

My son was offered to reimburse his $95 Explorer Card for 6333 miles, which works out to 1.5 per mile (cpm).

We got 3.4+ cpm redeeming economy awards to Saipan (SPN) from the mainland, so 1.5 cpm is not attractive to us.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
UA Marketing victory against me?

I have an upcoming flight between 2 small cities via ORD
... one flight involves a CRJ - the other a 737 in which I could probably get upgraded

I currently have a RT ticket that I bought with points - including first-class on the outbound leg....paid about 50k miles
I looked at the fairs this am - same plan for $321 RT (including the paid first for the same leg)

If I purchase the ticket - then that will be my 4th Mileage Play flight and get me an extra 5k points........
(the non-upgraded leg is $230 - and my flight needs to be above 250 to get the bonus)

.... I do have some existing flight credits that was saving to next year (since already 1k - was going to save the paid flights to next year and use miles for flights this year)

ugh..... UA, you win....take my money?
Old Aug 18, 2021, 6:38 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
That should be a no-brainer.
Instead of spending about 50k miles youd earn 5k bonus miles plus whatever miles the trip itself earns.
Lets say youd earn 6k miles if you buy the revenue ticket.
Thats a 56k miles difference compared to spending 50k for an award ticket.
With an approximate value of 1.6 cpm, thats equals $900.

Would I pay $321 for a revenue ticket instead of spending $900 worth of miles? Absolutely!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.