FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rj_flyer
Checking into this thread after a few more months on the road. Still averaging a 65% upgrade rate, 115 segments so far this year and I only count segments which have an F cabin.

Last year cleared 68% after SDCs and 74% before, hopefully with the 15k next year the leaner 1k group will prosper even more.
Even with RPUs I don't achieve those high rates but this year I had too many trips ORD-West Coast which are harder to clear.

My wife and I will make the 1K group leaner by 2. However, we will not help the 1K group prosper even more. The savings which will be above $10,000 will be used to directly purchase First Class seats.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Even with RPUs I don't achieve those high rates but this year I had too many trips ORD-West Coast which are harder to clear.
I think it all is about what flights youre on and then the fare class. Theres many tie breakers and I certainly use them to my advantage. Im normally on U or E fares and occasionally on an M fare. I have an explorer card for nothing more than a tie-breaker and access to CPUs on awards.

Ive cleared ever ORD-LAX this year and then every SNA-ORD return with one exception and I used an RPU. I take the first flight or last flight which certainly helps my numbers.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ord1027
I have gotten lucky a few times! Some off peak flight times helped for sure.
Upgrades also tend to be easier in and out of DL hubs.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think it all is about what flights youre on and then the fare class. Theres many tie breakers and I certainly use them to my advantage. Im normally on U or E fares and occasionally on an M fare. I have an explorer card for nothing more than a tie-breaker and access to CPUs on awards.
Just holding Explorer card is not a tie-breaker. Only if you spend $25k/year.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks for pointing that out, I did miss that detail which I do meet.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Even then, I can't imagine that particular tiebreaker makes a difference very often. It's the fifth tiebreaker (status, fare class, Club card, corporate preferred program, then Explorer card). I'm either on flights where there are 8 1Ks and none of us clear or there are one or two 1Ks and we both clear. I'm not moving $25K of spending to the Explorer card just to change the order amongst the 8.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I think it all is about what flights youre on and then the fare class. Theres many tie breakers and I certainly use them to my advantage. Im normally on U or E fares and occasionally on an M fare.

Ive cleared ever ORD-LAX this year and then every SNA-ORD return with one exception and I used an RPU. I take the first flight or last flight which certainly helps my numbers.
I looked at my flights and they are either W or Q. They are the cheapest fares that United agrees to sell starting from my small outstation on the days I needed to fly.

On the outbound, I cannot take the first flight out as I have to take the first flight out of my outstation to get to ORD. On the inbound, I don't take the last flight as I really dislike red-eye flights inside the US. I did it once in First Class. Never again. And I find it painful enough on my international long hauls in Polaris Business. So, for the inbound, I end up on flights that are packed with passengers continuing on to Europe.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nomad420
I would say Houston given your location. But still CPU's will be tough with Plat for sure. And most definitely it will depend on when and where you are flying of course. Mid week always seems the best but some destinations and hubs such as EWR and SFO are notoriously bad as far as CPUs, I am GS out of SFO and I get shut down all the time as far as CPUs and as 1K it was of course even worse, almost non exsistent but YMMV. I am sure others will throw in there 2 cents.
It really depends on when you're flying. I've cleared both directions DEN-MCO as a silver. Being a largely leisure route, it doesn't usually have the heavy elite traffic seen in many airports.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Got my CPU at T-95.5 for LAS-LAX 14 August 7:47pm. There are some flights where UA has no problem running CPUs at/near upgrade windows...

Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Last trip as a 1MM Gold,

Tues 7/30 SBA - SFO, no go, #7 on the list for a 12 seat ERJ-175
Tues 7/30 SFO - BOS, non CPU route

Wed 8/14 BOS - LAX, cleared at T-24 check in, lie flat seats too
Wed 8/14 LAX - SBA, cleared at T-48 Gold window, ERJ - 175.

So 2 of 3 eligible segments, although Tues & Wed flying.

Last edited by tstauck; Aug 14, 2019 at 11:53 am Reason: typo on date
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:12 pm

8/14 Cleared ORD-ALB at T96
8/15 Cleared EWR-ORD at T18

Still working with approximately a 64% CPU rate as a 1k systemwide.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Got my CPU at T-95.5 for LAS-LAX 14 August 7:47pm. There are some flights where UA has no problem running CPUs at/near upgrade windows...

I like routes like this, there seems to be certain routes tagged for instant PN/PZ availability. This morning ORD-ALB (1421) we left 10/16 in F after CPUs and a NR made the cut too.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Spouse and I got CPU ~96 hours for DCA-ORD last week. I think it was booked 4/12 up to that point (a couple of others must have been upgraded too, based on seat occupancy)

Return yesterday got upgrade on lie flat 757 ORD-DCA IAD as the door closed. 4 others upgraded with me - I'm assuming the CBP problems lead to several misconnects.

Last edited by drewguy; Aug 21, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
SFO - LAX (7:00am departure) cleared 24 hours in advance
LAX - SFO (2:45pm departure) cleared right after I SDCd.

Both this past Friday!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drewguy
Return yesterday got upgrade on lie flat 757 ORD-DCA as the door closed. 4 others upgraded with me - I'm assuming the CBP problems lead to several misconnects.
What's a 752 doing in DCA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.