FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is a bit abnormal. Inside T-23, and they still haven't swept. E75 booked 5/12, only two pax on the waitlist (and I'm #1 on an award).
Not sure your route, but I mentioned in one of the threads a while back that there is a similar behavior specific to ATL-EWR E175 morning flight only - they don't sweep any upgrades in advance, all of them wait until the gate. Doesn't matter if I'm on a refundable U or E fare and the cabin is booked 1/12 at T-24 - nada.
I'm not sure if it's a coding problem specific to that flight or it's some test they are running but they don't practice that behavior with any of the other E175 flights ex-ATL that I regularly take (to IAD, ORD, IAH, etc).

Edit: one time they did happen to sweep everything at T-3 (presumably when the fare buckets opened up), which of course left me without any choice of seats. But this was still a case when the cabin was 2 or 3/12 at T-24 and no one was moved up.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Monday July 29th. 6am LAS-IAH and 7:40pm IAH-LAS. Both CPUs cleared just minutes before (each) check-in. Not shown on upgraded list.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:03 pm Reason: "(each)" added
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is a bit abnormal. Inside T-23, and they still haven't swept. E75 booked 5/12, only two pax on the waitlist (and I'm #1 on an award).
And yet you were giving me so much skepticism when I reported a similar issue on the forum last weekend. Maybe not a coincidence after all??

Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Not sure your route, but I mentioned in one of the threads a while back that there is a similar behavior specific to ATL-EWR E175 morning flight only - they don't sweep any upgrades in advance, all of them wait until the gate.
PHX-SFO. Cleared at T-21. Wonder if we had a reservation out of sync blocking the queue.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
And yet you were giving me so much skepticism when I reported a similar issue on the forum last weekend. Maybe not a coincidence after all??
You mean the flight that was blocked full in F due to an oversale? I'm sorry, but that was an atypical scenario. The system cannot clear CPUs into a cabin that is blocked full (and typically would not clear at F2 or lower, as two seats are held out of CPU sweep).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Not sure your route, but I mentioned in one of the threads a while back that there is a similar behavior specific to ATL-EWR E175 morning flight only - they don't sweep any upgrades in advance, all of them wait until the gate. Doesn't matter if I'm on a refundable U or E fare and the cabin is booked 1/12 at T-24 - nada.
I'm not sure if it's a coding problem specific to that flight or it's some test they are running but they don't practice that behavior with any of the other E175 flights ex-ATL that I regularly take (to IAD, ORD, IAH, etc).

Edit: one time they did happen to sweep everything at T-3 (presumably when the fare buckets opened up), which of course left me without any choice of seats. But this was still a case when the cabin was 2 or 3/12 at T-24 and no one was moved up.
On my ORD-DCA E175 flight in June that was sold 6/12, United did a sweep at T-3 and upgraded another passenger and myself (I was #1 on the list with a Y fare). For the four remaining seats, passengers were upgraded at the gate. My 1K wife did not make the cut.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
I guess these were easy upgrades but happy because I never expected CPUs with Gold status.
SFO-ORD was a red eye flight with plenty of PZ space.

April 17 : UA5470 SFO-YYC (Gold)
July 12 : UA1018 IAH-CUN (Gold)
July 15 : UA1161 SFO-ORD (Platinum)
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I have finally made Platinum with United thru a couple of mileage runs and the credit card PQD waiver.

I am in MCO. We have good access to all United hubs. Which hub do you think I stand the best chance of getting a CPU. Or are they all similar and it is more of a day of the week and time thing.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
I have finally made Platinum with United thru a couple of mileage runs and the credit card PQD waiver.

I am in MCO. We have good access to all United hubs. Which hub do you think I stand the best chance of getting a CPU. Or are they all similar and it is more of a day of the week and time thing.
I would say Houston given your location. But still CPU's will be tough with Plat for sure. And most definitely it will depend on when and where you are flying of course. Mid week always seems the best but some destinations and hubs such as EWR and SFO are notoriously bad as far as CPUs, I am GS out of SFO and I get shut down all the time as far as CPUs and as 1K it was of course even worse, almost non exsistent but YMMV. I am sure others will throw in there 2 cents.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Cleared BZN - LAX on an E175 at exactly the 48 hour Gold window. Flight went out 8/12 up front.

3 out of 4 CPU's in the past month, although I don't fly hub to hub luckily. LAX-BZN, BZN-LAX, SEA-SFO (surprised), SFO-SBA is the one that didn't clear, and was actually #7 on the list for a E175 on that route.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
Cleared BZN - LAX on an E175 at exactly the 48 hour Gold window. Flight went out 8/12 up front.

3 out of 4 CPU's in the past month, although I don't fly hub to hub luckily. LAX-BZN, BZN-LAX, SEA-SFO (surprised), SFO-SBA is the one that didn't clear, and was actually #7 on the list for a E175 on that route.
SFO-SBA no surprise there. I don't think I have ever been cpu'ed on that flight. Small jets with high rollers.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nomad420
SFO-SBA no surprise there. I don't think I have ever been cpu'ed on that flight. Small jets with high rollers.
Yeah, doing SBA-SFO tomorrow morning on the E175 and already way down on the list, with only 2 open seats.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: United Platinum
This year as a Premier Silver Ive gotten CPUs on the following segments:

ORD-MSP
MSP-ORD
LAX-ORD (777 Polaris equip swap from a 753) was #49 on list and got seat 1D with bigger plane!

Last year as a Premier Silver I was upgraded on:

ORD-ATL
AUS-IAH
IAH-ORD
ORD-MSP
MSP-ORD
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by ord1027
This year as a Premier Silver Ive gotten CPUs on the following segments:

ORD-MSP
MSP-ORD
LAX-ORD (777 Polaris equip swap from a 753) was #49 on list and got seat 1D with bigger plane!

Last year as a Premier Silver I was upgraded on:

ORD-ATL
AUS-IAH
IAH-ORD
ORD-MSP
MSP-ORD
Maybe that's the trick, I'll move back to Silver and UA will throw upgrades at me in an attempt to get my business back All joking aside pretty darn good for Silver. I honestly think I didn't do that well last year as 1K!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
Checking into this thread after a few more months on the road. Still averaging a 65% upgrade rate, 115 segments so far this year and I only count segments which have an F cabin.

I also will mark a N when I SDC even when my original flight was a Y. If I didnt perform as many SDCs my clearance rate would be at 73% (tracked as well).

Cleared as well on 2043 tomorrow morning down to IAH at T96.

Last year cleared 68% after SDCs and 74% before, hopefully with the 15k next year the leaner 1k group will prosper even more.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
Maybe that's the trick, I'll move back to Silver and UA will throw upgrades at me in an attempt to get my business back All joking aside pretty darn good for Silver. I honestly think I didn't do that well last year as 1K!
I have gotten lucky a few times! Some off peak flight times helped for sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.