FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
The worst part for me about holding upgrades back until boarding is you lose the ability to pick your seat.
I'd say when I get upgraded during boarding, it's about 50/50 whether I just get an assigned seat or whether the gate agent calls passengers in order and asks which seat they'd prefer.

It's not that much better when I'm upgraded in advance, though, since it's common for them to upgrade a swath of people at once, at which point I often don't have great options anyway. (That said, at least I can monitor my reservation and look for a better seat).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd say when I get upgraded during boarding, it's about 50/50 whether I just get an assigned seat or whether the gate agent calls passengers in order and asks which seat they'd prefer.

It's not that much better when I'm upgraded in advance, though, since it's common for them to upgrade a swath of people at once, at which point I often don't have great options anyway. (That said, at least I can monitor my reservation and look for a better seat).
Most of the time when I get upgraded at the gate I just get handed the upgraded ticket/seat assignment and just take it and board. I can count the times on one hand that I have actually been able to discuss the upgraded seat assignment with the GA. If I get upgraded in advance I definitely like to monitor seat availability. For some reason I always seem to get the bulk head row #1 and I don't generally like to seat there so I will monitor the seat cart and grab something else if/when available.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Cleared MKE-EWR at T-24. Oddly enough, it showed one person upgraded from the waitlist but not me (or the other person who presumably got CPUed based on available seats).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I had an annoying experience earlier this week. Flying MHT-IAD on a CR7 as a Platinum on an S Fare. Booked 4/6 for a week, checked in at T-24 at #1 and stayed at #1 all the way until just prior to boarding when I was finally upgraded. The gate agent upgraded me and one other person and gave me a BP for 1C. I'd noticed 2C had been open when I had checked the seat map and asked for it but she said "sorry I already printed that one for the other passenger". The worst part for me about holding upgrades back until boarding is you lose the ability to pick your seat.

On the larger scale, my Platinum upgrade percentage is steadily climbing from 0% (0/5) where it started to 50.00% (9/18) now.
A couple times, when I was 1. on the list with two seats open, one of which I had some preference for, I approached the agent five minutes boarding to ask if I could get seat X in the event I clear. The request doesn't seem to bother them.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Cleared MKE-EWR at T-24. Oddly enough, it showed one person upgraded from the waitlist but not me (or the other person who presumably got CPU’ed based on available seats).

Had you checked in before you cleared? In case you hadn't noticed, all flights show only upgrades that happen after check in now (formerly only non-CPU flights showed that way).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Cleared T-23 on SAN-DEN. No notification and since it happened before I had a chance to check in, I wasn't on the list.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Cleared LAX-ORD today (6/12) as a Gold at the gate. 3 more people pulled up right before the door closed.

This was a 10am flight postponed 3 hours due to maintenance, so maybe some people jumped onto other flights...
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depends
Wife (Gold) cleared before I had a chance to check her in on 5475 LAX-SEA. I (Gold) was #4 on the fail list on the same flight two days prior (lots of 1k preboards on mine, so makes sense).
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:43 am

Cleared SEA-SFO as a Gold at T-30 for tomorrow's flight. Pleasantly surprised as I hear this is a really difficult route, although I imagine the mid day on a Thursday definitely helped.

SFO - SBA still "CPU requested" status...
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tstauck
Cleared SEA-SFO as a Gold at T-30 for tomorrow's flight. Pleasantly surprised as I hear this is a really difficult route, although I imagine the mid day on a Thursday definitely helped.

SFO - SBA still "CPU requested" status...
It's feast or famine on that route, although it depends mostly on the day. I cleared at T-48 as a gold on a Saturday flight, while other times I'm #15 on a 30-person list, typically on Friday or Monday.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
This lowly Silver scored 2 CPUs this past week. ^

Saturday night ORD-CLE, upgraded at T-1 hour (award ticket booked using PP card; my Gold friend also on an award ticket on the same flight was not amused, they sat in the back )
Sunday morning MCO-CLE, upgraded at T-23

Last edited by paule123; Jun 30, 2019 at 9:35 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Another lowly Silver, and two CPUs on a four-segment itinerary: 6/4/19, DEN-LAX and 6/18/19, LAX-IAH.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:24 am

Cleared this Sunday's LAX-BZN flight right at the 48 hour Gold window. My son (no status) also cleared with me
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA
7/17 UA 1034 IAH-PTY, as a Gold I was #3 on the upgrade list, and app was showing booked full. That usually means one seat left though. The flight was an hour late due to weather issues for arriving plane, and I assume other misconnects. I heard the gate agent call one name, then two, then me. She asked if I wanted the upgrade (of course I did) and she remarked that the previous folks did not.

Curiously, the flight left with one FC seat open. Watching the app out of curiosity after boarding, I saw another passenger get the green check mark. The gate agent boarded, and from the interaction I observed, it seemed that upgradee also declined. At that point, I assume the gate agent gave up, after batting 1 for 4. The next person on the list would have been my nominated companion, but it was no big deal for her to stay with another companion in back, taking advantage of the extra room from the seat I vacated.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I got my first upgrade of the year (Silver) on 7/19 DEN-SLC as part of my MSP-DEN-SLC flight. I had been #53 on the MSP-DEN flight, but when I made the connection, I showed as #1 on the list with 3 seats remaining. Even at that, the gate agent would not have processed the upgrade if I hadn't been there asking for it. Even when she did, she said she didn't have "control of the flight", so she just wrote my new seat assignment on my boarding pass. She was nice about everything, just having some system issues, I think.

By the way, if you fly during the daytime DEN-SLC (or vice-versa), it's worth having a window seat. One of the most beautiful views I have experienced flying.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is a bit abnormal. Inside T-23, and they still haven't swept. E75 booked 5/12, only two pax on the waitlist (and I'm #1 on an award).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.