FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
I am a window person, so sitting over the wing is largely a no-go for me. I'll take 21 C/D if nothing else decent is around, but still have a strong Row 7 preference and will usually take 8 or 9 over the exit row. I
Plus it can take several minutes longer to offload from the exit row. I am extremely impatient, so absolutely prefer row 7, mainly for that reason. Plus the seats are less uncomfortable.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Fairly lightly booked Friday afternoon DEN-LAX. They invited "our six 1K flyers" to board, so I guess it was elite-light as well
Wow! ^

I am a window person, so sitting over the wing is largely a no-go for me.
Me, too. But I just do my best to look "around" the wings. Admittedly, that is a problem for me as well.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Plus it can take several minutes longer to offload from the exit row.
One of the principle reasons I will forgo the exit row for row 7 is a tight connection. I'm not absolute in my preference (to not to be teased by the F cabin).
Old May 21, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Plus it can take several minutes longer to offload from the exit row. I am extremely impatient, so absolutely prefer row 7, mainly for that reason. Plus the seats are less uncomfortable.
Ditto, plus I find the cheeseburgers often run out before the exit row. Of course proximity to lav odors and traffic can be a big minus, depending on the plane. Everything has tradeoffs.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Just got my first ever CPU out of SFO! I guess I just need to be booking more short Saturday morning flights on holiday weekends, lol
Old May 24, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zymm
Just got my first ever CPU out of SFO! I guess I just need to be booking more short Saturday morning flights on holiday weekends, lol
Nice! As a Gold, I frequently get CPU'd on SFO-SBA if they're flying a 175 with 12 seats up front, which are about one half the flights. It's a short 45 min flight, although with the extra 30 min usually spent on the runway, definitely nice to be sitting in 1A
Old May 24, 2019, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was #14 as a 1K on an L fare LAX-SFO last night (738). Didn't matter, as I didn't use the ticket.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
As of right now, I am 5/11 for upgrades as a SEA-based Premier Gold over the last 2 months (just completed a 3 MO status match from Delta). Much better than I anticipated, although the UG lists on hub-hub flights like SFO-DEN are predictably massive, with me typically being in the 30-40 range.

1. EWR-NAS - E+ at booking, was 7th or so out of 15 for FC (A320)
2. SEA-SFO - Upgraded to FC at the 48-hour window, to my surprise (738)
3. SFO-SNA - Upgraded o FC at the gate, even though all 12 FC seats were showing as checked in. Interesting that I was actually called up to the counter by the gate agent; Delta rarely does this (E175)
4. SEA-SFO - E+ at booking, +1 companion (738 I think)
5. SFO-OGG - E+ at booking, +1 companion (752)
6. OGG-DEN - E+ at booking, + 1 companion (772)
7. DEN-PAE - Upgraded at 48-hour window, +1 companion (E175)
8. SEA-SFO - E+ at booking (A320 or 738, don't recall)
9. SFO-DEN - Paid UG to FC for $150. Was a jam packed flight and I didn't have a great seat in E+, so I opted for the cash UG (753)
10. DEN-PAE - Upgraded to FC at gate, although the flight never left due to IRROPS, did sit on tarmac for 5 hours (E175)
11. DEN-PAE, round 2 - Upgraded to FC at gate (E175)

Pretty happy with CPU's on UA so far, as I've only been UG'd 3 times on 20 segments as a Delta Gold Medallion so far this year.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by zymm
I've had relatively good luck on my occasional Sunday day round-trips SFO to BUR/LAX, too (first flight out and last flight back).

On the last one LAX-SFO ~7 of the 12 seats were upgrades, according to the app. Mine cleared about T-3. The early morning E75 SFO-BUR cleared a few hours after booking (~3-4 days before).
Old May 29, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
IAD-LAX 6am on a Wednesday as Gold and I SDC-ed onto that flight (which may or may not have been due to the open F space).
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Pre-merger 75% upgrade success as CO Silver; post-merger just got UPG #2 today

Cant wait - its on an Embraer Jet too!

Will I have lie flats?

In the 2 hours and 10 minutes of travel time will I have a choice of several hot entries for breakfast?

Will they server sundaes afterwards?

Can you tell that I am sarcastic ?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by caseminole
Cant wait - its on an Embraer Jet too!

Will I have lie flats?

In the 2 hours and 10 minutes of travel time will I have a choice of several hot entries for breakfast?

Will they server sundaes afterwards?

Can you tell that I am sarcastic ?
Yes, consulting firms such as BCG ran from airline to airline, at least the big 3, in the early-to-mid 2010s and convinced them to monetize front cabins at a mere 25-100% price premium to discount leisure economy (and selling 75-100% of seats in this way) rather than past practice of 400% price premium and selling 0-25% of inventory. So that leaves elite travelers with this paradigmatic shift of often/always scoring upgrades to rarely/never scoring upgrades. Nowadays, pax up front are largely kettles with enough disposable income to be in the market for an upgrade, which is a random occurrence for them given inventory shortage but they’re thrilled when they randomly get it and it’s a good economic decision versus paying for bags, f&b and what have you - given that TOD pricing can run very low. What can I say, it’s an industry phenomenon. Not sure if the analysis bears out in the long run as it has diminished loyalty among elites and it’s difficult to assign lifetime value to a customer. Airlines make all their money on ancillaries, not even what we’re talking about here.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Yes, consulting firms such as BCG ran from airline to airline, at least the big 3, in the early-to-mid 2010s and convinced them to monetize front cabins at a mere 25-100% price premium to discount leisure economy (and selling 75-100% of seats in this way) rather than past practice of 400% price premium and selling 0-25% of inventory. So that leaves elite travelers with this paradigmatic shift of often/always scoring upgrades to rarely/never scoring upgrades. Nowadays, pax up front are largely kettles with enough disposable income to be in the market for an upgrade, which is a random occurrence for them given inventory shortage but they’re thrilled when they randomly get it and it’s a good economic decision versus paying for bags, f&b and what have you - given that TOD pricing can run very low. What can I say, it’s an industry phenomenon. Not sure if the analysis bears out in the long run as it has diminished loyalty among elites and it’s difficult to assign lifetime value to a customer. Airlines make all their money on ancillaries, not even what we’re talking about here.
great analysis! affordable J & selecting flights based upon price/convenience is so much better. now i do see how it sucks for weekly road warriors buying Y. that's just not me.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I'm Silver. Checked in at 7:10 this morning for tomorrow's 5264, DAY-DEN. Number one on upgrade list for an hour, then upgraded. I've lost track of how many CPUs I've received since making it back to Silver in 2017. This is either the second or third.

I rarely take these early-morning flights. I suppose I'd get more upgrades if I did.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jun 3, 2019 at 6:38 am
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
Went online to check a flight time for a trip later this week LAX-SEA and find out I’ve been upgraded both directions. No notification emails. I guess I found the unicorn route! Too bad I don’t have much business in Seattle.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had an annoying experience earlier this week. Flying MHT-IAD on a CR7 as a Platinum on an S Fare. Booked 4/6 for a week, checked in at T-24 at #1 and stayed at #1 all the way until just prior to boarding when I was finally upgraded. The gate agent upgraded me and one other person and gave me a BP for 1C. I'd noticed 2C had been open when I had checked the seat map and asked for it but she said "sorry I already printed that one for the other passenger". The worst part for me about holding upgrades back until boarding is you lose the ability to pick your seat.

On the larger scale, my Platinum upgrade percentage is steadily climbing from 0% (0/5) where it started to 50.00% (9/18) now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.