Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1048772-does-ua-still-provide-hotels-1ks-weather-delay-cancelation-misconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passenger’s Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UA’s control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/irregular-operations-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide/starallianceguide_1201b.pdf/@@download/file/StarAllianceGuide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Just a few weeks ago I was stranded at ORD for 2 nights in a row during this lovely winter they're having.

First night, arrived ORD to find my flight home WX. Went to the United Club, I explained that I just landed, and my flight home was canceled handed her my BP and asked, "May I please have a hotel voucher"--she clearly looked at the BP for more than a second or two, (knowing I was a 1K). Was told they don't do that for weather. I asked if policy recently changed, because I thought 1Ks always got them regardless of circumstances. She instantly stopped the firewall and went to work printing one.

...Is it a case that maybe they're told to say no as a default but then relent with pushback?

Second night was the complete opposite. After hanging out between the ORD Hilton and the airport, my last flight home (or nearby) canceled just before boarding. I went to the United Club, near closing time, and there were already 2-3 people in front of me from the same flight. This agent was giving away hotel and food vouchers like Oprah giving away cars. "And you get the Renaissance, and you get the Hyatt!" (ORD Hilton was already sold out, given the late hour). I didn't even really have to ask. Question just became if I preferred the Hyatt or Renaissance, after re-trying again to get the Hilton.

There used to be a 'GG' term or something in the system that read the actual policy. Does anyone know that code anymore?
I think it's GG AMENITIES. An agent told me what she was doing once and actually read out some of the lines to me, but I'm not certain I recollect it correctly. However, it does seem to match the description in this thread: GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List.

Curiously, it seemed from the lines she read and other things she said, that any premier actually could receive a hotel in WX situations, not only GS/1K. I'm not sure why it's typically considered here to be only for GS/1K, except maybe that's just what happens in practice. In fact, one time I was travelling with my partner on a separate reservations, and we got stuck because of weather delays. When I was getting hotel and food vouchers, the agent asked if we needed two rooms, although my partner has UA Gold status. That might have just been a courtesy, but since my partner received lower-value food vouchers, I suspect it was independently processed for each of us.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by msg75
What's difficult is the lack of a consistent, verifiable policy re the benefit. The response I got mentioned "goodwill due to a possible misunderstanding" and now I feel like I'm asking for something I'm not entitled to.
You got the full benefit, and on the first try no less . . . I think I'd be satisfied with that
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
What's difficult is the lack of a consistent, verifiable policy re the benefit. The response I got mentioned "goodwill due to a possible misunderstanding" and now I feel like I'm asking for something I'm not entitled to.
United does have a published policy on weather - and you are not entitled to hotel reimbursement. The email was correct, as a matter of goodwill, you received a travel certificate - it also states in the Wiki you may as a matter of goodwill you can get reimbursed or get a travel certificate.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ellations.html

Staying overnight

If your flight is canceled because of a mechanical issue or other circumstances within our control, we will try to accommodate you in a nearby hotel at our expense. If we're unable to book a hotel room for you, we may be able to provide you with reimbursement of overnight accommodations you obtain on your own, including your hotel, ground transportation and meals. In these situations a United airport representative will give you an authorization letter outlining the details for reimbursement, including a maximum allotted dollar amount. When you submit a request for reimbursement, you'll need to submit the authorization letter and all of your receipts. Please keep your receipts so that you can submit them.

For events outside of our control, such as weather, we may be able to help you find a local hotel at a discounted rate, but we do not cover hotel or meal expenses. If this situation applies to your travel, you can ask a United airport representative about discount hotel options.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
United does have a published policy on weather - and you are not entitled to hotel reimbursement. The email was correct, as a matter of goodwill, you received a travel certificate - it also states in the Wiki you may as a matter of goodwill you can get reimbursed or get a travel certificate.
It has long been UA's policy, though not externally published, that 1K get hotel for wx IRROPS. Unfortunately, many agents are unaware this is the formal policy (and apparently some of the members here as well ).
chavala likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
United does have a published policy on weather - and you are not entitled to hotel reimbursement.
Originally Posted by Kacee
It has long been UA's policy, though not externally published, that 1K get hotel for wx IRROPS.
Published policy: not entitled.
Unpublished policy: entitled.

Is that the consensus? So it is at the whim of the agent/rep (classic YMMV), and, as I experienced, a 1K can be made to feel as if they're asking for something to which they're not entitled.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:06 am

Published policy: not entitled.
Unpublished policy: entitled.

Is that the consensus? So it is at the whim of the agent/rep (classic YMMV), and, as I experienced, a 1K can be made to feel as if they're asking for something to which they're not entitled.
Except you cut off the rest of my statement - which was, they do as a matter of goodwill offer a reimbursement in cash or ETC. The published policy is nothing - probably by design so they don't have every 1K asking for something. If they intended for every 1K to ask for it, I would think they would make it a published benefit.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
During the recent bad weather across the country I had an overnight MX delay in IAD (that was NOT WX related in any way). Asked for a hotel at the service desk in one of the UCs - after pointing out that it was an MX - and the agent stated she wasn't sure she could give me one, but then asked a college who confirmed that they did do them "for 1K/GS".

I let slide the fact that everyone should get one given it was MX. Was given the Westin Washington Dulles Airport and 2x$20 meal vouchers (which could be used at the hotel).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by docbert
During the recent bad weather across the country I had an overnight MX delay in IAD (that was NOT WX related in any way). Asked for a hotel at the service desk in one of the UCs - after pointing out that it was an MX - and the agent stated she wasn't sure she could give me one, but then asked a college who confirmed that they did do them "for 1K/GS".

I let slide the fact that everyone should get one given it was MX. Was given the Westin Washington Dulles Airport and 2x$20 meal vouchers (which could be used at the hotel).
Maybe their internal system showed the delay coded as WX, even though it was a MX. I've heard UA tends to pull that stunt to get out of providing hotels, especially when the weather is haywire.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As a 1K, I've been reimbursed for an overnight hotel stay due to weather that affected getting the crew to my departure point in a timely manner. Now only were the agents at the SNA UC amazing in getting me re-accommodated on other flights, and UA ops seemed to be following me and rebooking options as my timeline deteriorated enroute to DEN, I decided to book my own hotel at ORD (the surprisingly decrepit airport Hilton - yuck! - who knew?) at my corp rate which was half of what UA would have paid. The DEN agent printed out a huge stack of meal vouchers, but couldn't do the ORD hotel from DEN, and upon arrival in ORD, they didn't have vouchers available to cover my Hilton reservation so they told me to pay it and handed me a card with an email address to send my receipt.

At no point did I ever receive a finger-wag over weather or was I told I would not receive a hotel voucher or reimbursement - not only did I receive a check in the mail for my Hilton stay, I also received a voucher to cover the inconvenience.
msg75 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:05 pm

Was told very specifically at SF UC hotels are not automatic for 1K's due to weather - but can be given as a courtesy. I asked specifically, is it a benefit - answer no, but can be given.

Showed up at 10:30pm Feb 26 - asked for hotel, my Calgary flight was 7 hours so no hope for HNL connection. They seemed to get a chuckle out of my request - but when thru the motions and called someone - and got a resounding hotels are sold out. Well - they pretty much were - no major chains available near airport including in the City - ended up with last room at America's Best Value Inn in San Mateo for $140 which I don't wish on anyone. Several people in UC, which was packed, were planning on spending the night at the airport.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
ASE was a cluster that day. I was told that after talking to a United rep roaming around handling vouchers for the shuttle to DEN. I couldn't get anywhere near an agent on a terminal.

I can't imagine that if my wife and I dragged our stuff to the UC @ DEN at 930p after the bus dropped us off that they wouldn't have given us a hotel voucher, so how is this any different?
AFAIK this has been par for the course for ASE for many years.. Experienced same thing years ago - blizzard cancelled all flights - and was sent to a cheapo hotel at 9pm - with restaurant closing soon and no food nearby. Thankfully there is more development near DEN now so there are more food options plus Uber to provide a lift.

Now to be fair I wasn't 1K so I don't know if that would have changed the outcome. I know it won't be popular but personally I think there is some assumption of risk for Aspen and Telluride as those flights are very dependent on the weather (and correctly so). However I think all the airlines would be smarter to disclose this up front so people know the drill going in and can decide whether they want to risk the chance of cancellation v. taking a van. I expect it would not change the decision but would temper expectations.

I fully agree that it would be nice to have a consistent documented policy but that is the last thing any company wants - nobody wants to be held accountable for customer service. That is why the airlines fought so bitterly against the 3-hour tarmac rule. Which now in retrospect has been a major success.
msg75 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Curiously, it seemed from the lines she read and other things she said, that any premier actually could receive a hotel in WX situations, not only GS/1K. I'm not sure why it's typically considered here to be only for GS/1K, except maybe that's just what happens in practice. In fact, one time I was travelling with my partner on a separate reservations, and we got stuck because of weather delays. When I was getting hotel and food vouchers, the agent asked if we needed two rooms, although my partner has UA Gold status. That might have just been a courtesy, but since my partner received lower-value food vouchers, I suspect it was independently processed for each of us.
as a data point my last irrops delay (not overnight) was given food vouchers for all 3 of us. My food vouchers were 2x the value of those given to my non-status companions. I get the impression that part at least is standard and if not automatic then close to it.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:53 pm

Was told very specifically at SF UC hotels are not automatic for 1K's due to weather - but can be given as a courtesy. I asked specifically, is it a benefit - answer no, but can be given.
There are some really crappy agents at SFO.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I fully agree that it would be nice to have a consistent documented policy but that is the last thing any company wants - nobody wants to be held accountable for customer service. That is why the airlines fought so bitterly against the 3-hour tarmac rule. Which now in retrospect has been a major success.
i added this documented *A policy to the wiki. note that it only applies to int'l journeys (so not useful for the ASE-LGA trip)

last part about ground transportation is interesting

whether this policy is accepted consistently by UA front-line staff? good luck

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
Reference Guide - Airports Information - Irregular Operations Handling
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/...eference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/...uide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
AceReport likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Feb 27, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Stuck in EWR

Airport shutdown, crew time out. as a 1K, can I book a room first and then have UA reimburse me for it? We are still trying to get back to the gate and I don't want to wait until all the rooms are filled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.