Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1048772-does-ua-still-provide-hotels-1ks-weather-delay-cancelation-misconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passenger’s Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UA’s control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/irregular-operations-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide/starallianceguide_1201b.pdf/@@download/file/StarAllianceGuide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by slickvik
For some idiotic reason I chose to allow United to rerouted me from LHR-IAH to LHR-EWR-IAH on 8/27. Of course when I get to ewr the agent says no dice on hotel. I sent a complaint with my hotel bill but haven't heard anything and it's been almost a month. Better off settling with chase reserve insurance. It makes me feel like they wanted to reroute me to avoid shelling out for hotel in the EU, which I heard they did for LHR customers that refused to reroute for 6 nights!
what was the reason for the re-route? Did you fly in C? Or in Y as a *G?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by slickvik
For some idiotic reason I chose to allow United to rerouted me from LHR-IAH to LHR-EWR-IAH on 8/27. Of course when I get to ewr the agent says no dice on hotel. I sent a complaint with my hotel bill but haven't heard anything and it's been almost a month. Better off settling with chase reserve insurance. It makes me feel like they wanted to reroute me to avoid shelling out for hotel in the EU, which I heard they did for LHR customers that refused to reroute for 6 nights!
Settle with Chase. Never agree to a reroute if you don't get what you want. That includes a free overnight stay. Trying to get it paid for after the stay is nearly impossible.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by cfischer
what was the reason for the re-route? Did you fly in C? Or in Y as a *G?
Hurricane Harvey is the reason, and unfortunately I'm just a lowly general member (though my dad is GS 3 years in a row). United said hubs are prioritized and things were running fine in EWR. However if I just looked on the IAH/United/Flightaware website by 8/26 night nothing was flying into IAH. It's my fault for not doing the full research before going to the airport, even after accepting the reroute. I should have never gotten on the plane to EWR, at least in the EU I would have been taken care of.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by DCBob
Settle with Chase. Never agree to a reroute if you don't get what you want. That includes a free overnight stay. Trying to get it paid for after the stay is nearly impossible.
Yes that's the route I'm taking. I'm complaining to United anyway but so far haven't even gotten a response. Probably I'll get a $50 ecert to go away.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
I agree with this logic, but when I've been in a similar situation I was told that no United station has the ability to book and print hotel vouchers for another location. Hotel nights can only be provided at the station where you are laying over. Is this true, or was I just being given the brush off?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Just to confirm, as a 1K on an irrops-forced overnight (MBS-ORD-CLE), UA *should* be providing a hotel tonight, right?

The "root cause" of the delay is the aircraft flying MBS-ORD took a WX delay leaving Little Rock as the first flight of the day (12 hours ago, but I'm not bitter) and then for some reason it spent a lot longer at the gate for ORD-MBS than originally expected. So as it stands now MBS-ORD arrives (on F) at the same minute as the ORD-CLE (on B) is due to depart.

I have protection in the record for the first flight out in the morning but the 1K phone agent said that they don't provide hotels since the cause was weather, but would I like to hear great rates from hotels.com? I know that's the case for non-status passengers, but based on this thread if I'm understanding correctly, I should be able to get a hotel once we land in ORD right? (If not, between HHonors points and inlaws that work at the airport I'll figure something out...but I'd rather avoid inconveniencing them or my Honors balance if possible).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Just to confirm, as a 1K on an irrops-forced overnight (MBS-ORD-CLE), UA *should* be providing a hotel tonight, right?

The "root cause" of the delay is the aircraft flying MBS-ORD took a WX delay leaving Little Rock as the first flight of the day (12 hours ago, but I'm not bitter) and then for some reason it spent a lot longer at the gate for ORD-MBS than originally expected. So as it stands now MBS-ORD arrives (on F) at the same minute as the ORD-CLE (on B) is due to depart.

I have protection in the record for the first flight out in the morning but the 1K phone agent said that they don't provide hotels since the cause was weather, but would I like to hear great rates from hotels.com? I know that's the case for non-status passengers, but based on this thread if I'm understanding correctly, I should be able to get a hotel once we land in ORD right? (If not, between HHonors points and inlaws that work at the airport I'll figure something out...but I'd rather avoid inconveniencing them or my Honors balance if possible).
try it, but there is no guarantee at all. It is not a published rule.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, you should be given a hotel as a 1K. However, as noted, UA can be inconsistent about this and they are somewhat less likely to reimburse a hotel ex post facto than to give you a voucher. I might try HUCA for a better agent, then submit a receipt for reimbursement, as long as you accept that it will probably be a fight somewhere along the way with no guarantee of success.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
try it, but there is no guarantee at all. It is not a published rule.
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, you should be given a hotel as a 1K. However, as noted, UA can be inconsistent about this and they are somewhat less likely to reimburse a hotel ex post facto than to give you a voucher. I might try HUCA for a better agent, then submit a receipt for reimbursement, as long as you accept that it will probably be a fight somewhere along the way with no guarantee of success.
Thanks! Just as a data point landed in ORD and got to the gate (after the scenic tour of ORDs outer taxiways) at 1 minute before ORD-CLE departed. ORD-CLE posted a 10 minute "flight preparation" delay and we booked it from F1. Just about the time we were getting to the B/E connector the 10 minute delay changed to a 4 minute delay and the flight pushed.

Went to the B6 club, and the agent said "have a seat, make yourselves comfortable and see me in 15 minutes" -- and had not only a hotel voucher but 4 meal vouchers and new BPs. No pushing at all... just a "hey, wanted to see about seats for tomorrow and a hotel for tonight"
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks! Just as a data point landed in ORD and got to the gate (after the scenic tour of ORDs outer taxiways) at 1 minute before ORD-CLE departed. ORD-CLE posted a 10 minute "flight preparation" delay and we booked it from F1. Just about the time we were getting to the B/E connector the 10 minute delay changed to a 4 minute delay and the flight pushed.

Went to the B6 club, and the agent said "have a seat, make yourselves comfortable and see me in 15 minutes" -- and had not only a hotel voucher but 4 meal vouchers and new BPs. No pushing at all... just a "hey, wanted to see about seats for tomorrow and a hotel for tonight"
Nice! Makes up for the disappointment of being teased by the operational delay.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

Nice to hear that it all worked out. I like the agents in the B6 lounge,they've always served me well (read recently that wasn't the case for others)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Nice to hear that it all worked out. I like the agents in the B6 lounge,they've always served me well (read recently that wasn't the case for others)
This was the first time I've really leaned on the club for irrops handling and I have to say it was worth it.

As a bit of a postscript:
1- My wife noticed that she got 2x $10 meal vouchers, but I got 2x $20 meal vouchers and was confused... I dare not comment at the risk of digging a hole

2- The agent in the club managed to "really mess up" or "do something quite strange" to the PNR, which the 1K desk managed to make even more convoluted -- I noticed that even though we had BPs for this morning's flight the segment didn't show up in the PNR (I was going to see if there was any chance of getting seats together) so I called the 1K desk... and that went down a road of confusion including telling us that we didn't have protection booked despite having boarding passes, we were on the manifest for the flight but not actually booked on it, and finally that she had booked us on the flight but couldn't delete the old segment but had queued it to a supervisor to get fixed and we'd get an email in a little while. But we were absolutely good to go for the flight.

About an hour later I looked at the PNR and now the missed flight was showing as the protection for the "new" flight, we had different seats than the BPs were issued for, and I couldn't do anything online because...well..reasons I guess. That's when I gave up for the night.

We got to ORD early and a premier access agent didn't believe me when I told him that the PNR was messy and I was hoping he could clean it up and print BPs reflecting the actual seat assignments. Until he pulled up the PNR I don't think I've heard so much "why did they...oh that's strange...how the...hmmm" in years

But ultimately we got a hotel room so my wife could get a few hours of sleep; I couldn't fall asleep but at least I had a comfortable place to watch TV and take a shower. So generally ^^^
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- My wife noticed that she got 2x $10 meal vouchers, but I got 2x $20 meal vouchers and was confused... I dare not comment at the risk of digging a hole
Meal vouchers appear to be $20 for 1K/GS and $10 for everyone else.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

But ultimately we got a hotel room so my wife could get a few hours of sleep; I couldn't fall asleep but at least I had a comfortable place to watch TV and take a shower. So generally ^^^
What hotel did they put you up in?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Meal vouchers appear to be $20 for 1K/GS and $10 for everyone else.
That was my guess, but even though I've only been married for a month and a day I know better than to say anything that would imply that I'm 'worth' more than she (no status) is.

Worth noting, on that vein, that the club agent seemed like she would have arranged two rooms if requested which I certainly wouldn't have expected. ("So, will you two be sharing a room?")

Originally Posted by transportprof
What hotel did they put you up in?
The Westin O'Hare -- really quite a respectable property/nice room [and FWIW, apparently room service accepts meal vouchers, per the agent who checked us in; we didn't try]

Beats the last time CO put me in a hotel for maintenance -- the DTW Ramada which was about > < far from being a Motel 6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.