Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1048772-does-ua-still-provide-hotels-1ks-weather-delay-cancelation-misconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passenger’s Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UA’s control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/irregular-operations-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide/starallianceguide_1201b.pdf/@@download/file/StarAllianceGuide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: Continental
How does the CC procedure work?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by V9
The policy is only for the Club card and Presidential card holders? any other UA/Chase cards?
Yes, also applies to JPM Palladium card:
  • Trip Delay Reimbursement (up to $300 per ticket, to cover lodging, meals, etc. necessary due to your delay)
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance (up to $5,000)
  • Baggage Delay (excess coverage of up to $500 for emergency purchase of essentials if baggage is delayed 18+ hours)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
I assume this benefit has been withdrawn (or is at best left to the discretion of the airport agent)?

I was at DEN and the UC agent had never heard of this benefit ... I found that surprising (assuming she is UA not CO) ...
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Help needed - originally aircraft maintenance, now weather delays

UA6102. Originally coded as aircraft maintenance delays for 2 hours (I have a text). It's now showing 6 hour delay due to weather.

Agent says they can't provide hotel vouchers because the majority of the delay is weather relate. I had a phone agent tell me I could just book a room and email it in. Whats the general consensus on this?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by teeceedee
UA6102. Originally coded as aircraft maintenance delays for 2 hours (I have a text). It's now showing 6 hour delay due to weather.

Agent says they can't provide hotel vouchers because the majority of the delay is weather relate. I had a phone agent tell me I could just book a room and email it in. Whats the general consensus on this?
Since you've been denied a voucher on the scene (if I read your post correctly) you've got little choice but to book your own hotel. I'd certainly do this over sleeping in the airport.

Chances are that you'll get some credit from sending the receipt in. I've gotten $150 ETC in the past.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool O

Good luck getting reimbursed. They try to blame anything and everything on weather.

My advice? If you're stuck overnight, just get a passable hotel room and don't count on reimbursement.

Weather in Denver has been pretty terrible lately.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Flight got cancelled so I didn't have much choice in the matter anyways. Will report back on reimbursement.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:11 pm

Well, I e-mailed 1kvoice and included a screenshot of the original delay. They came back and said no re-imbursement as per policy (majority of delay /cancellation was weather). Then they sent me an e-cert for $300!

Not bad - I'm happy with the compensation.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
For weather, anything may happen, but generally UA seems to be OK in hotel reimbursement these days. One data point for maintenance-related problems at least, my wife (also a 1K) refused to stand in the long line to get a hotel cert at the airport when she was stranded overnight. She took her chances, booked a reasonably priced hotel, emailed the receipt, and received a check for the full amount within 2 weeks (plus 15,000 miles)
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by StingWest
For weather, anything may happen, but generally UA seems to be OK in hotel reimbursement these days. One data point for maintenance-related problems at least, my wife (also a 1K) refused to stand in the long line to get a hotel cert at the airport when she was stranded overnight. She took her chances, booked a reasonably priced hotel, emailed the receipt, and received a check for the full amount within 2 weeks (plus 15,000 miles)
100% my experience as well. Never any issues getting the check.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:20 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't get a check. But I'm not sweating the form of currency
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Unfortunately, I didn't get a check. But I'm not sweating the form of currency
on a 100% maintenance issue or an intercontinental itinerary with weather issues? I am 100% getting a check and that is w/o any questions
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
on a 100% maintenance issue or an intercontinental itinerary with weather issues? I am 100% getting a check and that is w/o any questions
Sorry for the lack of details - I was responding to a post upthread where I promised I'd check back in with results.

Flight was initially maint. delay, then cancelled due to weather. This was a domestic flight.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Again, if hotel accommodation is an United official published benefit for 1K, this thread would not exist. All you guys can just point to United agent one sentence from 1K member guide.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Mama
Again, if hotel accommodation is an United official published benefit for 1K, this thread would not exist. All you guys can just point to United agent one sentence from 1K member guide.
As I understood it, it ISN'T a official published benefit for 1k's - which is why posting here with experiences may be useful information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.