Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1048772-does-ua-still-provide-hotels-1ks-weather-delay-cancelation-misconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passenger’s Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UA’s control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/irregular-operations-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide/starallianceguide_1201b.pdf/@@download/file/StarAllianceGuide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mkr
What were the magic words you used when you "told" the agent you needed a voucher?
Very poilitely went up to the desk and handed him my sfo-hkg biz class ticket, while he was reading the notes on the record i told the whole sob story. My morning flight was cancelled 14 hours in advance, along with the one after, forcing me to miss my connection. I was told the evening UA flight was already oversold, and I could take this AA flight in a middle seat, (which i literally had to get dressed and run to catch, after checking into the Grand Hyatt), or my entire trip would be cancelled since no UA flights were going out of DFW in the morning.
I put on my best exhausted face (which was not at all difficult), and said something like, "so I need a hotel for the night and I was told you are the man to see about a voucher. And I hope its a nice one because I am completely done in". I had just read this FT thread on the way over so was not feeling very hopeful and really played it up.
He apologized profusely and immediatly said he'll find me the best available room and my dinner will be on united as well -- I could even use it for room service.

so yeah, could have been ymmv and he took pity on me. You do not make 1Ks sleep on the floor. That sounds snobby, but hey, I work hard to keep that status. If I'm spending over $12k a year, they can pay for my hotel once in a while when I need it.

UAinsider... isnt it time you weigh in on this and tell us what the policy is?
How are these agents able to make up the rules as they go along? And not just with this -- with everything it seems!
I deserve to know what my rights and benifits are as a 1K before I start sinking any money into the next calendar year.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/2MM
I was retuning from BER to LAX via EWR on March 1. My flight from EWR got canceled due to weather. I called 1K line, they rebooked me for 7 a.m. flight next day. I asked if I can get accommodation. The agent said "for that, you have to talk to customer service at airport." I walked in to United Club and asked. The agent immediately gave me a hotel and a couple of meal vouchers.

So 1K on TATL flight thing may still work, however, when I was checking in at the hotel, there were more than a dozen people checking in with voucher. Also, while I was in shuttle waiting area, I saw many more people holding vouchers. I don't think they were all 1Ks. Or were they?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Although it has not happened to me since the merger, in the United era as a 1K, I did receive hotel and meal accommodations three times, 1 ORD (alone), 1 SFO (for 2 travelers) and 1 LAX (for 2 travelers). All due to missed connections and almost always automatic (or as protected for next flights).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Often UA blames ATC as reason for flight cancellation and won't issue hotels or compensation.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mkr
Does ATC sometimes cause airlines to reduce the number of flights during bad weather, but an individual airline, UA in this case, reports the cancellations as cancelled because of weather?
A cancellation or delay attributed to ATC won't get you vouchers any different than weather will.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:49 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Why do you guys spend time fighting the lines/agents ?

Once I know Im spending the night...

Go to hotel
Send UA bill
Ive always been paid a reasonable accommodation for any delay.

This is my usual MO too, but I've had push back recently. I had to fight to get full reimbursement, rather than either a voucher, or $150 cash...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by chavala

UAinsider... isnt it time you weigh in on this and tell us what the policy is?
Do actually think he/she bothers to read these threads? At best, I think UA IT googles this forum to make sure there are no mistake cheap fares or anything like that customers might benefit from. Otherwise, I doubt they give a rip.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
where do you send the bill when requesting reimbursement?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by travel.flier
where do you send the bill when requesting reimbursement?
1KVoice
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Downdog
I was retuning from BER to LAX via EWR on March 1. My flight from EWR got canceled due to weather. I called 1K line, they rebooked me for 7 a.m. flight next day. I asked if I can get accommodation. The agent said "for that, you have to talk to customer service at airport." I walked in to United Club and asked. The agent immediately gave me a hotel and a couple of meal vouchers.

So 1K on TATL flight thing may still work, however, when I was checking in at the hotel, there were more than a dozen people checking in with voucher. Also, while I was in shuttle waiting area, I saw many more people holding vouchers. I don't think they were all 1Ks. Or were they?

Same experience on a couple of weather issues in the last year (both domestic)

No luck with phone agents.

But airport agents had no hesitation issuing a voucher, including last weekend at IAD.

Unfortunately last weekend I dropped the voucher somewhere on the floor of the Dulles baggage claim area as I pulled it out to search for the right door number to catch the shuttle.

So ended up at the Hilton with no voucher, but they honored the discount rate. Maybe I'll submit for reimbursement...it was a good enough rate that I don't have a qualm either way.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Do actually think he/she bothers to read these threads? At best, I think UA IT googles this forum to make sure there are no mistake cheap fares or anything like that customers might benefit from. Otherwise, I doubt they give a rip.
Shannon used to reply all the time. This new guy, not so much.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:42 pm

Can this be made for sticky thread?

@BWI on the way to LAX. Agents protected me through SFO tmr. However, they insisted there was no food vouchers or hotel accommodations because it was weather-related. Will see what LAX says when I will be mis-connected.

If they are even stingy about hotel for 1Ks, then it solidifies my thought process that no more IA after I get MM status soon.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jun 8, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Back in Jan I got delayed 2 days due to storms in the NE. The agent told me that all fights to my destination were cancelled. (later I found out that I could have made a half empty US flight that would have gotten me there ontime). I asked about hotel and was told no due to weather.

I contact customer service and got some confusing responses.

finally I contact UAInsider here. It took a while, but he did agree that I was correct. He said that they should have put me on the US air flight and when it became evident that I was going to have to overnight, they should have offered me a hotel. I was able to get the hotel and meals ($7/meal) reimbursed. He also offered a $150 ecert for my trouble. I think this was more because he forgot about my message for approx 2mo. But everyone's human.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:38 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I just got a voucher for a hotel due to wx/ATC, so the policy isn't dead.

Flying BOS-IAH-ABQ yesterday. BIS - IAH was delayed about 2 hours due to weather in the system, ATC, and a late inbound (apparently caused by upstream weather delays). I missed the last ABQ flight of the day.

I went straight to the IAH E Club, asked for a hotel voucher, and got one for the Hilton (plus $14 food vouchers) with no fuss.

As usual in these circumstances, customer service lines were hours long. Yay, UC membership!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
No hotels for 1K when weather related cancellation? [2015 Thread]

As a platinum and chase PP card holder this is s moot point for me. I get a free hotel room and much quicker process to boot including free food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.