Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...isconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one nights lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passengers request only, reimbursement for one nights lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passengers Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UAs control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com...-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/...eference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/...uide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 29, 22, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Haven't had to email 1KV an attachment in a while but... Try generating the PDF with another tool (e.g. print the PDF as a 'new' PDF)? Fax?* Screen shot each page of the PDF as a PNG/JPEG/TIFF instead?
I did try printing the PDF to create a new one, but I haven't heard back yet as to whether or not that worked. A PNG/JPEG sounds like a good idea, actually. I was so caught up in trying to figure out what was happening that I didn't consider alternate formats. Thanks!

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
(*-Though that is going the way of the dodo... I had a form the other day that asked me to 'Fax the completed form to [email protected]' ... uh... that's not how fax works )
LOL, yeah, I thought about that, but then I tried to think where I'd even find a fax machine to send it...

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Have you tried taking a photo and sending as a png?

I think that is the suffix for a photo
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Possible to send in a different format?
Seems everyone here is thinking more clearly than I am today. Thanks to all. I'll give this a try and report back.
Old Jun 29, 22, 10:43 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I did try printing the PDF to create a new one, but I haven't heard back yet as to whether or not that worked. A PNG/JPEG sounds like a good idea, actually. I was so caught up in trying to figure out what was happening that I didn't consider alternate formats. Thanks!

LOL, yeah, I thought about that, but then I tried to think where I'd even find a fax machine to send it...

Seems everyone here is thinking more clearly than I am today. Thanks to all. I'll give this a try and report back.
Your brain may be trying to process the unfathomable announcement by United of the extensions of PlusPoints
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 13, 22, 12:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Hopefully someone with more experience could advise me on this.

I was booked to fly AMS-EWR-PHL about a week ago. My connecting flight to PHL was cancelled while I was in the air due to, Your flight is canceled because of current or anticipated disruptions related to airspace and/or ground congestion. When I landed in EWR I was automatically booked for the next available flight, which was the following day.

The CS desk at EWR said I could get hotel and meal vouchers as a 1K (and I supposed also as *G on an intercontinental trip), or I could book myself a train ticket to Philadelphia and United would reimburse me in lieu of a partial refund for the unflown segment and of course no hotel or meal vouchers. I opted for the train ($80) and submitted my receipt to 1kvoice, citing what the agent in EWR told me, and also specifying I didnt mind an $80 ETC instead if that made this simpler. The reply was a total rejection, no ETC/reimbursement for the train, and no refund for the voluntarily dropped segment.

I dont understand where I went wrong here. Was my only move accepting the hotel and meal vouchers and just hanging out at the EWR Marriott on Uniteds dime for 20 hours? Was it just my mistake for believing the UA agent in EWR that I would be reimbursed? Appreciate all insights.
Old Aug 13, 22, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MTan View Post
I don’t understand where I went wrong here. Was my only move accepting the hotel and meal vouchers and just hanging out at the EWR Marriott on United’s dime for 20 hours? Was it just my mistake for believing the UA agent in EWR that I would be reimbursed? Appreciate all insights.
It's UA's fault, not yours.

They cancelled your flight, now they won't issue a refund or honor their promise to pay for the train? I'd file a DOT complaint. Their cancel is not a voluntary segment drop and you're entitled to a refund since you elected not to accept the rebooking.
flyme2, SPN Lifer and tcdtcd like this.
Old Aug 13, 22, 1:27 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MTan View Post
Hopefully someone with more experience could advise me on this.

I was booked to fly AMS-EWR-PHL about a week ago. My connecting flight to PHL was cancelled while I was in the air due to, Your flight is canceled because of current or anticipated disruptions related to airspace and/or ground congestion. When I landed in EWR I was automatically booked for the next available flight, which was the following day.

The CS desk at EWR said I could get hotel and meal vouchers as a 1K (and I supposed also as *G on an intercontinental trip), or I could book myself a train ticket to Philadelphia and United would reimburse me in lieu of a partial refund for the unflown segment and of course no hotel or meal vouchers. I opted for the train ($80) and submitted my receipt to 1kvoice, citing what the agent in EWR told me, and also specifying I didnt mind an $80 ETC instead if that made this simpler. The reply was a total rejection, no ETC/reimbursement for the train, and no refund for the voluntarily dropped segment.

I dont understand where I went wrong here. Was my only move accepting the hotel and meal vouchers and just hanging out at the EWR Marriott on Uniteds dime for 20 hours? Was it just my mistake for believing the UA agent in EWR that I would be reimbursed? Appreciate all insights.
Unfortunately what likely happened is the CSR told you that to get rid of you and also failed to document the PNR with what they promised you so from what the 1KV can see it was a voluntary drop (not of the original segment but the auto rebooked replacement segment). You are definitely entitled to a refund for the unflown segment which may or may not be nearly equivalent to the train ticket. If I were in your shoes it's about a 50/50 tossup of whether I'd reply with a "sorry but no" one more time and see if someone more customer service oriented actually paid attention (I have a suspicion that when an agent marks a ticket as closed and the passenger replies that it gets a slightly more experienced agent on the second bounce) or go the DOT complaint route where it will definitely get a higher level of CS attention.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 22, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
What about EU 261 compensation? I would pursue that as well
Old Aug 13, 22, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
What about EU 261 compensation? I would pursue that as well
Yes, good point.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 22, 8:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Thanks for the advice all! Regarding EU261, its my understanding that because ATC is outside the airlines control, it would not apply in this case. I decided to send back a reply in the sorry but no vein as suggested earlier. Im pleased to say I received a reply within an hour with a $100 ETC, which Im satisfied with as a resolution.
flyme2, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread