Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1048772-does-ua-still-provide-hotels-1ks-weather-delay-cancelation-misconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passenger’s Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UA’s control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/irregular-operations-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide/starallianceguide_1201b.pdf/@@download/file/StarAllianceGuide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pingtung
I hadn't tried asking for one of these in two years, but I was recently denied a hotel room by the agent and the supervisor at DTW as a 1K when weather canceled my flight to EWR and forced an overnight. I booked my own room and followed-up with 1K voice attaching my receipt. They also denied reimbursement or a voucher since it was weather related. Just another data point showing it's a YMMV situation.
Was this the origin of your trip a stopover, or the turnaround point? Anecdotally (and IIRC, there may be something similar in the CoC for maintenance) it seems like you have much better odds when it's at an intermediate stop (that doesn't rise to the level of stopover...But then again on a recent aborted departure (noon-9:30 at the airport for a 2:15 departure, canceled, rebooked at 6am) I was offered a hotel by the GA... but I elected to go with my own bed instead as it was only about ~15 minutes further than the hotel would have been
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Was this the origin of your trip a stopover, or the turnaround point? Anecdotally (and IIRC, there may be something similar in the CoC for maintenance) it seems like you have much better odds when it's at an intermediate stop (that doesn't rise to the level of stopover...But then again on a recent aborted departure (noon-9:30 at the airport for a 2:15 departure, canceled, rebooked at 6am) I was offered a hotel by the GA... but I elected to go with my own bed instead as it was only about ~15 minutes further than the hotel would have been
Turnaround as it was just a simple RT. As I think it about it now, the last time I received a room as a 1K due to weather was at a connection point, but I doubt it's actually policy to make the distinction.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I booked my own room and followed-up with 1K voice attaching my receipt. They also denied reimbursement or a voucher since it was weather related.
Based on reports, there are a handful of 1kvoice agents (maybe just one) who don't follow the rules and tend to deny various requests that should be granted. So you're right, YMMV.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:10 pm

Turnaround as it was just a simple RT. As I think it about it now, the last time I received a room as a 1K due to weather was at a connection point, but I doubt it's actually policy to make the distinction.
Granted the entire hotel-for-1K-even-when-not-UA's-fault is not a public policy so without an insider chiming in neither of us is in a position to know (and I think even then there's some amount of YMMV and some agents may be more giving than others... e.g. the last time I got stuck (in ORD) due to alleged weather the 1K desk handled the rebooking (since I knew I'd need that before we even boarded at origin and there were no UA staff available inside security and the TSA checkpoint had closed) when I got to ORD I just went to the UC and said "the 1K desk told me to see you for a hotel room" -- agent asked if I needed 1 or 2 rooms, (1, thank you) told my wife and I to make ourserlves comfortable and come back to see her in about 15 minutes and she had hotel, meal vouchers, etc. No questions, no pushback, just an appology and more in combined vouchers than cash portion of what I paid for the flight.

But in the contract of carriage, Rule 24(F)(1):

Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
(a) To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or,

But exception (c) also excluded where it is "due to circumstances outside of UA's control" -- it seems (sometimes?) UA will waive exception (c) for 1Ks but it's not clear how often they're willing to waive (a)
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Does UA give meal vouchers to 1Ks even if there's no overnight stay? Connecting this weekend from UX on an oft-delayed flight, if I miss my UA flight I'd be put on AC which means no free BOB. Would I be overstepping in asking for a food voucher to grab dinner before the flight if I was put on AC?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Does UA give meal vouchers to 1Ks even if there's no overnight stay? Connecting this weekend from UX on an oft-delayed flight, if I miss my UA flight I'd be put on AC which means no free BOB. Would I be overstepping in asking for a food voucher to grab dinner before the flight if I was put on AC?
I've had it proactively forced upon me in ORD (I would say offered, but it was clear the GA's supervisor wasn't taking no for an answer), and somehow wound up with 5 vouchers after letting an agent "buy me dinner" in IAD for a 3 hour delay on concourse A (2x $20 and 3x $10 "You can only use each voucher once, and I want to make sure you don't go hungry!") … I will say willingness may depend on how long the delay is (e.g. <1 hour, probably not >3 hours absolutely, 1-3 hours a wobbler)
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:43 pm

What is the GG code for 1k/GS weather hotel/meal vouchers?

Agent yesterday said no hotel/meal vouchers for a weather delay. I said I think you do. I said try GG accom, GG reaccom, then GG amenity. After the first 2 (which were not it), he just gave it to me and said he'd make a 1 time exception.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:47 pm

According to the wiki in this thread, it's GG AMENITIES:
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Over the summer, at IAH, I was hit with rolling delay to LIT. Finally, the flight was cancelled. Agent in UC said no more hotels for 1K, I pushed, mentioned GG AMENITIES and magically I had 2 meal vouchers and a hotel voucher (hotel voucher was something like $67). Being a work trip, I didn't really need either of these, but it was more to validate that it was still a thing.

Not wanting to trek to whatever terrible hotel United had booked me in, I booked the IAH Marriott for something like $179, not too bad last minute. Showed up, checked in, and asked "out of curiosity, can I give you this hotel voucher and you take it off the room balance?", this was met with a "I don't see why not, sure!". So, there ya have it, the authorization isn't tied to a specific hotel. If something is more convenient (IAH, PHL, EWR Marriott's, ORD Hilton, DFW Hyatt's), go for it, you should be able to at least use it as a discount off your paid rate, still earn points and credit, and everybody is happy!
chavala likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
1K: no hotel for IROPS due to weather?

MIsconnected in DEN tonight after a 4 hour delay out of the east coast due to weather. New BP waiting for me at gate (although I had already rebooked via the 1K line). Attached to it was a marketing flyer for roomstorm.com.

Went to the service desk because I wanted my bag (it was checked). Inquired about a hotel and she insisted it is not offered for 1K due to weather and that I must be crazy for even suggesting it. Huh? At least up until November last year when I had my last weather misconnect I was given a hotel room.

New policy? Misinformed agent? File a claim with 1KVoice after my paid-for stay near Denver airport?

Thanks,
-RM
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:00 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
MIsconnected in DEN tonight after a 4 hour delay out of the east coast due to weather. New BP waiting for me at gate (although I had already rebooked via the 1K line). Attached to it was a marketing flyer for roomstorm.com.

Went to the service desk because I wanted my bag (it was checked). Inquired about a hotel and she insisted it is not offered for 1K due to weather and that I must be crazy for even suggesting it. Huh? At least up until November last year when I had my last weather misconnect I was given a hotel room.

New policy? Misinformed agent? File a claim with 1KVoice after my paid-for stay near Denver airport?

Thanks,
-RM
Could be one or all of the above, given this (sorry for the cliche') new normal.

I'd still submit it to 1KVoice and see what happens. Worst case is they probably throw you an ETC for the value of the room. When I ran into this last year (seems longer ago already), 1KV offered me either a $120 prepaid Visa card to cover the room or a $200 voucher. I took the $200. Maybe suggest that from the get-go to soften them up a bit. I can understand their penny-pinching right now, but even with an unwritten (it's arguable that it is actually 'written') policy, if they're going to change it, they should really let us know.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Please report back. Because these are not formally marketed benefits, there is no way to know what is and is not offered without an answer from someone in the know.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Unfortunate for 1Ks

Just reference point for what it’s worth:

I have my fair shares of weather related delays in the last two years at IAH, EWR and ORD.

Each time my 1K colleagues did not get room vouchers or I observed only GS were given hotel rooms. I was told by ORD GS that 1Ks no longer getting rooms as benefits for weather delays. 1Ks may get room vouchers for operational delays.
SF_DUKE likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
1Ks may get room vouchers for operational delays.
This isn't much of a 1K "benefit" then, as all travelers should qualify for accommodation vouchers during operational or maintenance delays.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc192
This isn't much of a 1K "benefit" then, as all travelers should qualify for accommodation vouchers during operational or maintenance delays.
Yes! What a Irony! That is why I titled my post “unfortunate for 1K”.!
SF_DUKE likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.