Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1048772-does-ua-still-provide-hotels-1ks-weather-delay-cancelation-misconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passenger’s Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UA’s control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/irregular-operations-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide/starallianceguide_1201b.pdf/@@download/file/StarAllianceGuide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

The Westin O'Hare -- really quite a respectable property/nice room [and FWIW, apparently room service accepts meal vouchers, per the agent who checked us in; we didn't try]

That's where I got put up the last time I had a blown cnx @ORD using my 1K benefit. That was about 5 years ago. Glad they haven't enhanced this benefit.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:41 pm

does UA provide hotel for WX to elite customers?

So we have all heard about the story that a Chinese couple being hit on a AA bus, and i just read from some of the posts that UA provides hotel to it’s GS, and 1k even for weather delays...
so does any of you got hotel from UA during the recent weather situation? Share your experience
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingwasabi
So we have all heard about the story that a Chinese couple being hit on a AA bus, and i just read from some of the posts that UA provides hotel to it’s GS, and 1k even for weather delays...
so does any of you got hotel from UA during the recent weather situation? Share your experience
For WX, it use to be 1K and GS were covered by United. Now, at least for 1K, that benefit is not always extended. Believe there might be a thread on this somewhere.

You asked for personal experience: A few weeks ago, major WX event with several CX's. As a 1K I asked, politely brushed off, re-asked the same person who got a line manager involved who said, "why not. Just give the room." Got the room + $80 in food vouchers (2 travelers).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DBCme
You asked for personal experience: A few weeks ago, major WX event with several CX's. As a 1K I asked, politely brushed off, re-asked the same person who got a line manager involved who said, "why not. Just give the room." Got the room + $80 in food vouchers (2 travelers).
I've had WX-caused overnights twice since I became 1K. In both cases, I was able to get hotel and food vouchers by asking at customer service at the connecting airport.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Was overseas. Flight canceled due to a typhoon. Rebooked through NRT. but NRT doesn’t depart till 4/5pm and I arrived around 6/7AM from SE Asia.

Check in desk at NRT issued me a hotel voucher for the day. Was able to sleep until my flight in the evening.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: 1K
I’ve been using travel interruption insurance from Chase in most cases instead of the 1k hotel food voucher offer. It’s a bit ore complicated to recoup, but since DEN is where I usually get stuck, staying at the Westin is much more convenient than getting the voucher and having to take the shuttle half way to Denver then wake up at 4am to catch the first flight in the morning.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Was overseas. Flight canceled due to a typhoon. Rebooked through NRT. but NRT doesn’t depart till 4/5pm and I arrived around 6/7AM from SE Asia.

Check in desk at NRT issued me a hotel voucher for the day. Was able to sleep until my flight in the evening.
yes, but intercontinental flight UA always covers food/hotels for *G. For domestic it is more of a YMMV situation.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by zdog2x
I’ve been using travel interruption insurance from Chase in most cases instead of the 1k hotel food voucher offer. It’s a bit ore complicated to recoup, but since DEN is where I usually get stuck, staying at the Westin is much more convenient than getting the voucher and having to take the shuttle half way to Denver then wake up at 4am to catch the first flight in the morning.
This is now my routine as well. Much easier to just book a room as soon as I know I need it. That way, I can choose which hotel is most convenient for me, including status perks.
I have done it once now, and pretty painless reimbursement from Chase. Filled out the on-line form when sitting at the UC the next morning. Reimbursed in an acceptable time frame (~2 weeks?)
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Comparison datapoint from AA, flying in domestic F, but without any status or even AA membership:

1. at departure point, had a mechanical issue with 3hr delay, arrived into DFW 2hrs late, and 1hr after my already delayed connection departed
2. severe weather at DFW, yet my delay was recognized as a mechanical and no tricks to re-label it as weather (something UA would most certainly have done)
3. made my own hotel booking during the delay, just in case, and sure enough after arrival in DFW, they only had the Super8 left available - they finished my rebook for the following morning (which was started on the phone but some glitch prevented OLCI) and gave me the customer service information to get reimbursement for the hotel I booked myself
4. after arriving home, filled in the online form for reimbursement, and within 5 days, my hotel cost plus $100 was credited back to my original FOP
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:07 am

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
My wife's flight from GUM-ROR got diverted to YAP due to electricity blackout at ROR. She has just returned to GUM to wait for another flight to ROR next day. She told me that the UA agent refused to provide her with a hotel but I think as a 1K and on business class ticket, she is still entitled to the ATC/Weather type delay. As a general rule of thumb, she is entitled to $150 for a hotel and she needs to send the bills to the 1k Desk for compensation (voucher)? It's been so long since I used this benefit as a 1K (and at that time, 1K agent on the 1K line convinced the UA agent at the airport to issue me a voucher on the spot) so I am wondering the procedure is still valid. Your good advice is most appreciated.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, she should be entitled to a hotel. If UA won't budge, stay in a hotel and send them the bill afterward; they are pretty good about honoring it within reason.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I had an EWR-IAH flight a couple weeks back that was delayed 3+ hours due to weather, causing me to blow my connection to MSY and overnighting in Houston. I just spent $90 out of pocket for a room instead of finding an employee to argue with at 12:30 at night (when I had to be up by 6 AM for the first flight out). Had it been earlier, I might have made a stink about it...but time was money at this point in my mind.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I had an EWR-IAH flight a couple weeks back that was delayed 3+ hours due to weather, causing me to blow my connection to MSY and overnighting in Houston. I just spent $90 out of pocket for a room instead of finding an employee to argue with at 12:30 at night (when I had to be up by 6 AM for the first flight out). Had it been earlier, I might have made a stink about it...but time was money at this point in my mind.
Send in your receipt and get reimbursed.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
They gave me a hotel in DEN last weekend when I misconnected. No questions asked. It was "late inbound crew" which caused the issue. From what I can tell, the CSR at the customer service center never looked up "why" I misconnected. He just processed a hotel, food vouchers and rebooked me the following day on the flight I asked for.

He made several references to me being 1K but never "we're doing a favor for you". Maybe I got lucky.

-RM
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:36 pm

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, she should be entitled to a hotel. If UA won't budge, stay in a hotel and send them the bill afterward; they are pretty good about honoring it within reason.
Thankv you. I told her to send receipt to 1K Voice. She went to another business trip so I do.not think she sent it yet but I willl post the outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.