Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Goodbye JFK GFL... Come October you will join the LAX GFL in the great beyond... and I really liked the staff of both of these...
What a horrible looking lounge, it seems that UA has finally got the balls to stop the JFK flights since UA has not flights out of JFK, I'm thinking this is why the JFK GFL was in dire need of repair and updating..
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What a horrible looking lounge, it seems that UA has finally got the balls to stop the JFK flights since UA has not flights out of JFK, I'm thinking this is why the JFK GFL was in dire need of repair and updating..
I don't remember that being the case. However, the JFK GFL was a sanctuary of peace and quiet, where one could work or relax. The UCs at EWR are often an overcrowded madhouse, and as far as I know UA has no intention of replicating the GFL at EWR. This difference in stress alone is enough for me to shift my transcon business to AA, with its FL.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't remember that being the case. However, the JFK GFL was a sanctuary of peace and quiet, where one could work or relax. The UCs at EWR are often an overcrowded madhouse, and as far as I know UA has no intention of replicating the GFL at EWR. This difference in stress alone is enough for me to shift my transcon business to AA, with its FL.
Very true. Plus, it was nice being able to mix your own drink just the way you liked it.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

The issue is the lounge hasn't been touched in years and it shows, since there are other lounges one can use other than JFk GFL it want be missed.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
At LHR GFL now. Staff member is restocking a fridge with Diet Coke. He squatted down with a case of soda cans, which were wrapped in plastic. He reached up, grabbed a knife from the counter (knives available for patrons, wrapped in a cloth napkin), sliced open the plastic on the soda can box, and slipped the knife back into the cloth napkin.

As I type this, maybe this belongs in the thread on the least substantial thing I can complain about. Still, tacky in the very least.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The issue is the lounge hasn't been touched in years and it shows, since there are other lounges one can use other than JFk GFL it want be missed.
Says you, there are plenty of others, myself included, who will miss it and the staff who worked there.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CMK10
Says you, there are plenty of others, myself included, who will miss it and the staff who worked there.
Then UA should keep for all the times yo have used.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Just was invited by UA to enjoy the GFL lounge here at IAD....not clear on the reason except maybe the A/C in the C7 club is still busted? Lowly 1KMM flying in BF tonight...
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I just got to enjoy the Lufthansa First Class Lounge in Frankfurt, based on my UA Global First ticket and GS status.

All I can say is the United's Global "First Class" lounges look unbelievably pathetic in comparison.

With LH, you get:

* A full buffet of gourmet food - Thai, Spanish, Italian. Plus a gourmet menu that you can order from and eat on actual table clothes

* World class selection of wines. I tasted 3 different Bordeauxes and 2 different Pinots. All excellent.

* Real resting rooms - real beds with sheets

* Complimentary cigar room with cognac, armagnac, etc.

Compare that to the UAL lounge at JFK: 6 stale shrimp with a piece of plastic wrap on them and some wraps that have little chunks of ice in them and freezer burn. All in a college-dorm refrigerator.

Then there's the SFO GFL lounge with a measly selection of fake-crab sushi and screw-top wines.

Or NRT GFL, where the stuffing is coming out of the upholstery and the food is no better than the UC. Apparently United thinks cup-o-noodles is First Class standard food. Thankfully Lufthansa doesn't.

But most of all, Lufthansa completely smokes UA in service. All of the staff were extremely pleasant, solicitous, and helpful. Compare that to SFO GFL, where the only focus is on how they might possibly deny you access.

United should be embarrassed and ashamed.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
UA lounges leave a lot to be desired, but in all fairness the LH HON Lounges at FRA are the best lounges in the world. Everything else pales in comparison.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
UA lounges leave a lot to be desired, but in all fairness the LH HON Lounges at FRA are the best lounges in the world. Everything else pales in comparison.
Oh I don't know - my best experience in an lounge was in BKK in the Thai first class lounge - I didn't want to leave! Singapore airlines private rooms are nice too! Seriously though - LH gets FC right in FRA....
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Then there's the SFO GFL lounge with a measly selection of fake-crab sushi and screw-top wines.

I don't know, they do have Ruinart champagne which is ~$70/bottle and descent and Jordan cab which is ~$50 per bottle.

Does it compete with LH? No. Is it better than anything sCO stations offer "premium" passengers? Yes.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
I don't know, they do have Ruinart champagne which is ~$70/bottle and descent and Jordan cab which is ~$50 per bottle.
The only GFL where I've seen good red (eg Stags Leap) was ORD. SFO, JFK et al feature <$10 stuff.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I just got to enjoy the Lufthansa First Class Lounge in Frankfurt, based on my UA Global First ticket and GS status.

All I can say is the United's Global "First Class" lounges look unbelievably pathetic in comparison.

With LH, you get:

* A full buffet of gourmet food - Thai, Spanish, Italian. Plus a gourmet menu that you can order from and eat on actual table clothes

* World class selection of wines. I tasted 3 different Bordeauxes and 2 different Pinots. All excellent.

* Real resting rooms - real beds with sheets

* Complimentary cigar room with cognac, armagnac, etc.

Compare that to the UAL lounge at JFK: 6 stale shrimp with a piece of plastic wrap on them and some wraps that have little chunks of ice in them and freezer burn. All in a college-dorm refrigerator.

Or NRT GFL, where the stuffing is coming out of the upholstery and the food is no better than the UC. Apparently United thinks cup-o-noodles is First Class standard food. Thankfully Lufthansa doesn't.

But most of all, Lufthansa completely smokes UA in service. All of the staff were extremely pleasant, solicitous, and helpful. Compare that to SFO GFL, where the only focus is on how they might possibly deny you access.

Don't forget the LH First Class rubber ducky!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Oh I don't know - my best experience in an lounge was in BKK in the Thai first class lounge - I didn't want to leave! Singapore airlines private rooms are nice too! Seriously though - LH gets FC right in FRA....
The tarmac pick-up/ride to the gate in the AMG Merc at FRA is an essential travel experience. As is the buggy ride through the Royal Silk lounge at BKK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.