Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EWR764
*A carriers pay each other for F lounge access on a per-pax basis, so that's a viable revenue stream, plus NRT still has F cabins to ORD/IAD (in the case of NRT) and GS on the remaining flights.

IMO, reasonable arguments can be made for the existing GF lounges as the best option for *A F customers at LHR/HKG/NRT.
With the loss of the 747s (and ensuing larger crowds in UC due to loss of GF), maybe there may be some more Surprise and Delight invitations for 1Ks in J?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 26, 2017 at 10:23 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
With the loss of the 747s (and ensuing larger crowds in UC due to loss of GF), maybe there may be some more Surprise and Delight invitations for 1Ks in J?
More likely the GFLs will be closed / converted -- such as it has been reported the SFO GFL is converting to an UC in early October 2017
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Winter of Crappy Lounge Experiences is coming...
(or Crappier)

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Sep 26, 2017 at 1:09 pm Reason: artistic addendum
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS 75K, BA Gold, AF Gold
Is the First Class side of the LHR United Club still open to GS flying on a business ticket?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:14 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by wallertown
Is the First Class side of the LHR United Club still open to GS flying on a business ticket?

Absolutely. No guests, however
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I got invited to use the IAD GFL - a personal first. I asked at the C7 UC counter if there was any ETA for a Polaris lounge at Dulles, and once we finally got my boarding pass scanned on the third try (GPU cleared into BF with 24 hours to go), she handed me an invitation to go here instead. It is quite pleasant.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I got invited to use the IAD GFL - a personal first. I asked at the C7 UC counter if there was any ETA for a Polaris lounge at Dulles, and once we finally got my boarding pass scanned on the third try (GPU cleared into BF with 24 hours to go), she handed me an invitation to go here instead. It is quite pleasant.
Just an update to add about the IAD GFL. Think old ORD FIL/GFL but without the views, different seating areas or any of the style/art elements of that old lounge (there are windows but they look out onto a hall (where people are boarding/exiting) and then windows to the outside. The main space is longish room with bunches of leather and cloth chairs with no dividers. It was quiet, Id estimate there weren't more than a dozen people during my evening visit. Across the hall from the main seating area is a desk that was staffed by two agents, restrooms, a small conference room and small work area with cubbies (no computers). There is no real style to the lounge which is a pity because it would seem UA could easily have placed some of the nicer furnishings from the now discontinued GFL in other locations (e.g. the Asian style from ORD or nicer chairs from SFO). Food offerings seemed minimal compared to old ORD GFL (what I was most familiar with).

A brief summary of beverages:
Very decent self-serve champagne: Laurent-Perrier Cuvee Rose and Moet & Chandon Imperial
Several red and white wines as well as bottled beers. White wine (on ice) included: Erath Pinot Gris, Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc and Rombauer Chardonnay
Typical range of spirits including bottles I havent seen in other business class lounges like Patron and The Balvenie DoubleWood 12
Illy Coffee Machine

The buffet menu:
Thai Chicken and Rice Soup
Chicken Fajitas
Dill Marinated Roasted Salmon
Vegetable Roll with Duck Sauce
Basmati Rice
Green Bean Almondine
Several cold salads including a Spinach Pesto Salad and Asian Noodle Salad as well as minimal cheese and fruit plates.
Desserts looked like a few packaged items (e.g. things I'd see in a frozen food aisle like mini lemon meringue tarts).
Old May 3, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
GS traveling in *A business class

Can a GS traveling in *A Business Class (2 class cabin) access London Heathrow Global First Lounge?

I am flying EVAs Royal Laurel Class and would like to find out If I am able to access GFL in London.

thanks

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:27 pm

United First Class lounge access at LHR

I have been looking for access rules for United First class lounge at Heathrow and hope someone might know the answer... Does a SWISS first class ticket on a Lhr-Zrh-Jnb itinerary entitle me to access this lounge? Swiss website mentions Star Alliance lounge only.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoolTourist
I have been looking for access rules for United First class lounge at Heathrow and hope someone might know the answer... Does a SWISS first class ticket on a Lhr-Zrh-Jnb itinerary entitle me to access this lounge? Swiss’ website mentions Star Alliance lounge only.
Yes, that entitles you to access.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Can a GS traveling in *A Business Class (2 class cabin) access London Heathrow Global First Lounge?

I am flying EVAs Royal Laurel Class and would like to find out If I am able to access GFL in London.

thanks
The answer to my own question is No. I was denied. We went to SQ lounge for dinner instead.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

The answer to my own question is No. I was denied. We went to SQ lounge for dinner instead.
Would also like to add that GFL access is inconstant. Was told at HKG that as a GS, my HKG-TPE-SFO ticket was ineligible because my TPE-SFO (UA J) had not started yet and that HKG-TPE was on BR so it was ineligible. My understanding was that access was available 24 and same day of departing Polaris biz. Was very confused and was told otherwise at SFO.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
HKG

Is the Global First Lounge @ HKG still operating?

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Is the Global First Lounge @ HKG still operating?
No. Changed to VIP/GS lounge

As all the UA's GFL/IFL have been repurposed (as UCs or VIP/GS lounges), will close this thread and refer folks to
UA First lounges/GFL have closed now that GF/PF is gone -- what happens to the space?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.