Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by st530
Why is the SFO GFL such a zoo lately? Several posts above noting this, but no explanation that I've seen.
It's blissfully quiet mid- to late-afternoon. Just need to avoid it in the couple of hours prior to international departures
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by st530
Why is the SFO GFL such a zoo lately? Several posts above noting this, but no explanation that I've seen.
Why? Because UA has decided that International First has little value, so they are gradually eliminating it.

It is only because of this initial decision that UA could conceive of devaluing the IFL experience by opening it up to the masses. Despite UC overcrowding, they would have never done that without the the initial decision to eliminate International First.

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 19, 2017 at 4:09 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
If so, trying to find a way around it as I am traveling with a non-GS in J (but not a full fare ticket). Flying SFO-HKG on 77W. Obviously there is no FC on this plane. However, we are continuing on to SIN. If I was in FC HKG-SIN, would that allow me to access the guest policy for GS in SFO? I know this is a major stretch, but I have no other ideas. Of sages of UA travel, what do you think?
I would recommend asking politely at the G UC. They have the ability to give you a GFL invitation.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
NRT Global First Lounge

Hi All
Just wondering If Im flying NRT-EWR on 777300 in Polaris on an award ticket ie I class, do I get to use the Global First Lounge at NRT or just the United Club?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just the United Club, unless you are UA GS. You just have a Business Class ticket.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
OK thx used GF lounge in SFO 2 weeks ago on 787 Polaris soft product to SYD in C but was in paid D class Thought they might do something at NRT for 1Ks :-((
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
You will only have access to United Club. Try NH Loungr, it hasbetter food and drink offerings and a noodle bar.

Out of topic, as a GS, I have able to get my non-GS travel companion into GF lounges at SFO and IAD.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbourl
OK thx used GF lounge in SFO 2 weeks ago on 787 Polaris soft product to SYD in C but was in paid D class Thought they might do something at NRT for 1Ks :-((
Doesn't hurt to ask politely at the UC desk, but that's mostly an SFO thing due to crowding in the G club (and few *A flights with F at that hour).

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
You will only have access to United Club. Try NH Loungr, it hasbetter food and drink offerings and a noodle bar.
I actually prefer the UC - it's a really nice space. I'll give you that the food is better (somewhat) at NH though, especially if you want something hot.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:39 am

OK So its not like GF Lounge @ hkg WHICH HAS FOOD TO ORDER?
Anyway just looking at pix and it looks like the old GF lounge at LAX except better and with showers!

Last edited by cbourl; Sep 26, 2017 at 3:51 am Reason: Addition
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cbourl
OK So its not like GF Lounge @ hkg WHICH HAS FOOD TO ORDER?
Anyway just looking at pix and it looks like the old GF lounge at LAX except better and with showers!
no, it is not. Go for the NH lounge.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
And what happens after the last 747 leaves NRT (and for that matter, HKG, where it has already happened, yes)?

I cannot imagine that UA would keep around a GF lounge to simply service *other* airlines F pax, even on a connecting basis.

Is there a published timeline for when these GFL becomes "Polaris-lite"?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ryman554
And what happens after the last 747 leaves NRT (and for that matter, HKG, where it has already happened, yes)?

I cannot imagine that UA would keep around a GF lounge to simply service *other* airlines F pax, even on a connecting basis.

*A carriers pay each other for F lounge access on a per-pax basis, so that's a viable revenue stream, plus NRT still has F cabins to ORD/IAD (in the case of NRT) and GS on the remaining flights.

IMO, reasonable arguments can be made for the existing GF lounges as the best option for *A F customers at LHR/HKG/NRT.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554

My hunch is that each GFL will go away as each Polaris Lounge opens. Will see, that happened at ORD.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
My hunch is that each GFL will go away as each Polaris Lounge opens. Will see, that happened at ORD.
Or before, when they start construction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.