Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Any (non-GS) had success getting F lounge access in LHR with a Business ticket for a 2-cabin plane?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by djmp
Any (non-GS) had success getting F lounge access in LHR with a Business ticket for a 2-cabin plane?
No sure about successes but denials have been reported.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
SFO GFL report:

I've never seen it this crowded. The entire ambiance has changed. The first blow on the flight path toward GF's abandonment.

Champagne and wine selections inferior to previous visits, although they have increased the hot food options, adding another self-serve table since my last visit. The number of staff seems to have increased.

Two-three more SFO visits planned before the GFL is merely a memory.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by 747FC
SFO GFL report:

I've never seen it this crowded. The entire ambiance has changed. The first blow on the flight path toward GF's abandonment.

Champagne and wine selections inferior to previous visits, although they have increased the hot food options, adding another self-serve table since my last visit. The number of staff seems to have increased.

Two-three more SFO visits planned before the GFL is merely a memory.
Is the crowded scenario a one-off or has something changed that lets more people in? I may well have missed something here!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Is the crowded scenario a one-off or has something changed that lets more people in? I may well have missed something here!
UA is allowing a limited number of 1Ks on full fare J tix to use the GFL. This is due to extreme overcrowding in the G terminal UC as the result of construction. So they are shifting pax to take advantage of excess capacity in the GFL, which is IMO totally appropriate.

When I was in the GFL earlier this year, the issue was not so much the number of people, but the lack of consideration by a small handful (who may well have been GF pax). All it takes is one yahoo doing a video skype without headset.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA is allowing a limited number of 1Ks on full fare J tix to use the GFL. This is due to extreme overcrowding in the G terminal UC as the result of construction. So they are shifting pax to take advantage of excess capacity in the GFL, which is IMO totally appropriate.

When I was in the GFL earlier this year, the issue was not so much the number of people, but the lack of consideration by a small handful (who may well have been GF pax). All it takes is one yahoo doing a video skype without headset.
Thanks, I wondered if it was due to the construction.

And, my bolding, I really do not get that some people have no shame or consideration of others. I really don't know where they were dragged up.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

some whacko woman in the LHR IFL last year...kept snorting loudly while using FaceTime Video. Was totally bizarre. Maybe she had a speech problem, it sure sounded like it, but was still being totally inconsiderate.

Somebody complained, because staff came and asked her to politely keep down her voice. So she ended the call...only to start a FaceTime Audio (earpiece) conversation, with the same strange snorting conversation re-commencing.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Something has changed. I'm seeing families with multiple kids for example. Never saw that a year ago. As a GS on a Biz ticket, my wife (non-GS on a Biz ticket) was recently allowed to come in with me. Got denied on that in the past.

So I'm guessing the UC and GFL gatekeepers are allowing a lot of one-off exceptions as the club winds down. One thing that hasn't changed is that the staff start aggressively removing stuff around 9:30pm and make it clear they don't want you there around 10pm. (official closing is 10:30pm)
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:42 pm

Could it also be that the current state of the economy allows more people than before, and even families, to purchase INTL F fares?

My observation is that lounge occupancy worldwide - and not only in UA clubs affected by construction - has gone up significantly in the last 12 months or so.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Something has changed. I'm seeing families with multiple kids for example. Never saw that a year ago.

Recently traveled in business from SFO-HKG with spouse and kids. Spouse is GS, too. At check-in in SFO and HKG, we were given passes to bring our kids into the GFL.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla
Could it also be that the current state of the economy allows more people than before, and even families, to purchase INTL F fares?

My observation is that lounge occupancy worldwide - and not only in UA clubs affected by construction - has gone up significantly in the last 12 months or so.
It has been widely reported 1K's in business are being sent to the GFL to ease crowding at the UA club. I believe that is the reason for the (over) crowding at the GFL.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM
Been to the SFO location several times over the last 3 months. It's been a zoo every time. Like, to the point where I had to sit in the "quiet" (not quiet) area to find a seat.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by liddy0021
Been to the SFO location several times over the last 3 months. It's been a zoo every time. Like, to the point where I had to sit in the "quiet" (not quiet) area to find a seat.
Yup. Had to sit there last Wednesday due to the crowding.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just returned from the LHR GFL. While not as busy as SFO, it was busier than I have previously experienced.

My Eggs Florentine was an Egg Florentine, and overlooked with a mushy muffin.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by liddy0021
The pyramids went up quicker than this renovation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.