Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

The arrivals lounge is great. Even if there was a way to get to the GFL, you'd could spend an additional hour standing in immigration lines. The GFL is nice, but not many people would put that premium on it over the arrivals lounge.
I don't know if the LHR GFL is worth it even if you are connecting in LHR from the main terminal to have to exit the plane, go alllll the way down under to the main terminal, go allllll the way back to the GFL and then allllll the way back to the main terminal. The LH Senator lounge was fine for a 1:30 connection.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You can use it if country/airport rules allow it. If you are not departing, you can't get to it at LHR. Sounds like you're new to international travel - it isn't just security, but security and border control. Great Britain (and just about every country I can think of) just isn't going to give out gate passes so people can go back and forth. You'd have to enter GB twice and leave once just to use a lounge. Connecting passengers can generally access airside lounges because, well, they stay airside (i.e. do not enter the country through immigration).
Right - unlike the USA, most other countries process you as "exiting" the country when you clear departure security in the international terminal. This makes an "int'l gate pass" very unlikely.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I don't know if the LHR GFL is worth it even if you are connecting in LHR from the main terminal to have to exit the plane, go alllll the way down under to the main terminal, go allllll the way back to the GFL and then allllll the way back to the main terminal. The LH Senator lounge was fine for a 1:30 connection.
Originally Posted by In The 216
The (very clear) access rules allow for those in United Polaris first to access the GFL on arrival. Am I to understand that this is only for connecting passengers?
Would this work connecting UA>LH/LX, given an extended (2hrs + ) time between UA arrival and LH/LX departure?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Would this work connecting UA>LH/LX, given an extended (2hrs + ) time between UA arrival and LH/LX departure?
You won't have a problem in the terminal because you aren't entering the U.K. It's just a trek. When I was really hoofing it to make a 4U connection from late inbound (I'm talking running) I think it took me 18 minutes door to door.
Google Earth LHR and look at T2. The UA/long haul flights arrive at the satellite rectangle. You then have to go from there under the tarmac to the main terminal to transfer security, a quick BP check and then into main T2 departure hall. You're LH/LX should depart from there. To go to the GFL you'll have to back track to the satellite to use the lounge and then back to the main T2 for your flight. I seriously think you're looking at a total or 35-50 minutes of walking.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Exactly. Though on a 4 hour connection, say, I would definitely visit the LHR GFL lounge for a meal. To me, the walk is good exercise after a long flight.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:25 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
You can use it if country/airport rules allow it. If you are not departing, you can't get to it at LHR. Sounds like you're new to international travel - it isn't just security, but security and border control. Great Britain (and just about every country I can think of) just isn't going to give out gate passes so people can go back and forth. You'd have to enter GB twice and leave once just to use a lounge. Connecting passengers can generally access airside lounges because, well, they stay airside (i.e. do not enter the country through immigration).

The arrivals lounge is great. Even if there was a way to get to the GFL, you'd could spend an additional hour standing in immigration lines. The GFL is nice, but not many people would put that premium on it over the arrivals lounge.
I appreciate the additional information. I am far from new to international travel, however I am new to flying GF into LHR. I've flown J into LHR several times and you're right, the Arrivals Lounge is just fine. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Kacee
That doesn't speak to whether security and British customs/immigration will allow you back airside. As I understand it, they will not.
Understood. Thank you.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I'm assuming that GF flyers using the GFL still are able to guest in one adult? Many thanks...
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
I'm assuming that GF flyers using the GFL still are able to guest in one adult? Many thanks...
That's what UA states
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yes indeed.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Yes indeed.
Yup.

Did so last month.

My guest really enjoyed the burger! ^
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Yes indeed.
Thanks. Followup Q: Nothing in rules seem to prohibit guest from flying on a flight unconnected from the host?

Last edited by 747FC; Jul 28, 2017 at 4:31 pm Reason: Add Question
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Thanks. Followup Q: Nothing in rules seem to prohibit guest from flying on a flight unconnected from the host?
Me: LHR-ORD

Guest: LHR-EWR

My flight left earlier than his and he later told me that they told him normally he should have left with me but that since they knew me and was such a gentleman that they didn't want to kick him out.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Me: LHR-ORD

Guest: LHR-EWR

My flight left earlier than his and he later told me that they told him normally he should have left with me but that since they knew me and was such a gentleman that they didn't want to kick him out.
That was a nice customer-friendly approach. Thanks for the information.

But, bad news for the GFLs:

Originally Posted by Madone59
tweeted confirmation United to stop selling Global First May 1, 2018
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
The tweet says "767". Not sure if that is the end sale date for all aircraft.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
The tweet says "767". Not sure if that is the end sale date for all aircraft.
As there is an existing thread on the demise of GF, let's continue the discussion there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...first-yes.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.