Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
UA and other *A carriers do lots of market research and I can only suggest to you that there is no business case for your theory or that every *A carrier got the business case wrong.
Airlines in other alliances such as OW also do a lot of market research and have come to different conclusions about lounge access. I think a fair argument can be made that OW gets it right and *A doesn't.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is absolutely the biggest hole in the *A lounge access rules and I can understand why the unsuspecting passengers are upset to find themselves denied access on the domestic connection.

UA has mitigated the harshness of the rules by offering expanded access for passengers arriving on UA metal . . . would be nice to see LH do the same by making arrangements for its arriving F pax, but that's not likely to happen.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerNOT
...Me: These rules don't mention code share or flights operated by another airline...
That's because arrival privileges are not conferred on code-shares or flights operated by other carriers. The lack of mention does not translates to admittance by default. The UC rules do explicitly admit passengers arriving in front cabin on international UA-operated flights. The Star Alliance rules explicitly state *A flight admittance privileges are for flight departures. United is more generous relative to club access with front-cabin passengers on its own operated flights.

The LH club is a lot nicer anyway.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is absolutely the biggest hole in the *A lounge access rules and I can understand why the unsuspecting passengers are upset to find themselves denied access on the domestic connection.
Agreed. Arrivals lounges are important, particularly in destinations where long-haul passengers arrive in the morning before their hotels are likely to be ready for check-in. I was frustrated a few months back when I discovered LH offers no arrivals facility whatsoever at MUC, despite having a lovely and well-stocked arrivals lounge at FRA. Worst of all were the FTers in the LH forum, who mocked me for "not understanding what an airport is for." (Can you tell I'm getting annoyed with the amount of snark on FT?)
Old May 24, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I do sympathize with the OP, and well done on the post (in which you sound pretty patient with it all). It's silly; I don't have a UC membership, I can spend $100 on a flight to Toronto and *G gets me in to a UC (and TK/LH).

I would just be peeved and leave to hit a decent airline restaurant for a proper glass of wine. Given you'd just come off LH First (probably on a lovely 748i), the IAD UA lounges would have been thoroughly depressing anyway.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I'm not sure if you were being serious, but if so, I would imagine OP was attempting to purchase first class air travel between one destination and another, and that's about as far as it went. Given that OP bought an expensive first class international fare from UA, it was perfectly reasonable to assume -- incorrectly, it turned out -- that it granted access to the GFL as an arrival lounge.

It's easy to forget that most of the flying public -- even frequent travelers -- doesn't dwell on the minutiae of lounge access, aircraft types, seating charts, and the like. FT is a hobbyist community. Let's leave the snark for other forums.
Exactly then, that's what OP attempted to purchase and that's what OP got. So OP has no valid complaint.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seanp7
...It's silly; I don't have a UC membership, I can spend $100 on a flight to Toronto and *G gets me in to a UC (and TK/LH)...
Well, it's a departure privilege, not based on price.

Let's say United started admitting non-UA arrivals connecting to domestic flights. Can you imaging the crowds in the peak arrival/departure windows? I can. People already complain about crowding. In short order, you'd have int'l departure passengers denied entry due to capacity limitations reached by admitting arrival passengers.

The OP was indeed accorded access to a lounge on arrival at IAD. Complaining about lounge access not being included in the price is 100% wrong in this case. The price of LH lounge access was included in the LH portion of the ticket. Maybe the OP does not understand how code-shares work - United does not keep all the money. Most of the money he paid for the LH leg went to LH, not UA. LH provides a LH lounge (and he was admitted) for its operated flights at IAD. It just wasn't convenient enough for him.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 24, 2017 at 11:18 am
Old May 24, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I'm not sure if you were being serious, but if so, I would imagine OP was attempting to purchase first class air travel between one destination and another, and that's about as far as it went. Given that OP bought an expensive first class international fare from UA, it was perfectly reasonable to assume -- incorrectly, it turned out -- that it granted access to the GFL as an arrival lounge.

It's easy to forget that most of the flying public -- even frequent travelers -- doesn't dwell on the minutiae of lounge access, aircraft types, seating charts, and the like. FT is a hobbyist community. Let's leave the snark for other forums.
Exactly. There are so many discussions about lounge rules here because they are so confusing even to many frequent travelers.

And I suspect the OP didn't necessarily think of the GFL in IAD as an "arrivals lounge". He hadn't arrived yet. He was in the middle of the trip, connecting from one flight to another.

Maybe ask your non-FTer parents or spouse what their expectation would be if they spent 10 grand on a F trip to Europe/

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 24, 2017 at 11:43 am
Old May 24, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
We already have our answer to the OP, right from the CEO's lips: "Our employees did not have the authority to do what's right for our customers."
Old May 24, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ohmark
We already have our answer to the OP, right from the CEO's lips: "Our employees did not have the authority to do what's right for our customers."
But he wasn't a United customer for the purposes of lounge access. He was a Lufthansa customer. United doesn't grant access to its own customers for domestic F.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree. The catch that lounges are departure facilities, and that UA domestic F does not grant lounge access, leaves pax like OP very awkwardly in the lurch. Whenever I use my *G to get into a lounge in a situation like this I think how silly it is that *G gets me something that full F does not.

I wonder what basis OP was admitted to the LH lounge? If I recall there are reports that they allow non-*G on UA domestic F, but perhaps it was a special case for their own F pax.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Exactly. There are so many discussions about lounge rules here because they are so confusing even to many frequent travelers.

And I suspect the OP didn't necessarily think of the GFL in IAD as an "arrivals lounge". He hadn't arrived yet. He was in the middle of the trip, connecting from one flight to another.

Maybe ask your non-FTer parents or spouse what their expectation would be if they spent 10 grand on a F trip to Europe/
Non FT kettles that I know don't even know lounges exist and would have no expectation of a lounge on a 10k ticket. For those that have heard of lounges they certainly don't know the difference between a UC and a GFL and if directed to a UC or LH Senator or whatever, they would be just fine.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by findark
I agree. The catch that lounges are departure facilities, and that UA domestic F does not grant lounge access, leaves pax like OP very awkwardly in the lurch. Whenever I use my *G to get into a lounge in a situation like this I think how silly it is that *G gets me something that full F does not.

I wonder what basis OP was admitted to the LH lounge? If I recall there are reports that they allow non-*G on UA domestic F, but perhaps it was a special case for their own F pax.
I've brought non status UA F pax into the LH lounge at IAD many times and as far as I know it's the policy. You can only go downstairs though, not upstairs. Although I'm not sure what the difference is.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, it's a departure privilege, not based on price.

Let's say United started admitting non-UA arrivals connecting to domestic flights. Can you imaging the crowds in the peak arrival/departure windows? I can. People already complain about crowding. In short order, you'd have int'l departure passengers denied entry due to capacity limitations reached by admitting arrival passengers.

The OP was indeed accorded access to a lounge on arrival at IAD. Complaining about lounge access not being included in the price is 100% wrong in this case. The price of LH lounge access was included in the LH portion of the ticket. Maybe the OP does not understand how code-shares work - United does not keep all the money. Most of the money he paid for the LH leg went to LH, not UA. LH provides a LH lounge (and he was admitted) for its operated flights at IAD. It just wasn't convenient enough for him.
I'm pretty sure this is not true. My understanding of the JV is that revenue is shared between LH and UA. Costs are not. But revenue is split based on % of capacity (# of seats) flown across the Atlantic. So UA gets the same revenue whether tha pax flies on UA or LH metal. That is my understanding but I have never read the contract.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can you tell I'm getting annoyed with the amount of snark on FT?
Yeah the "tough luck" responses are unhelpful and rather mean-spirited.

Yes, there's a rule, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's just an arbitrary cut-off that one alliance applies and another (OneWorld) does not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.