Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
I will be arriving at SFO flying GF from FRA. I am then flying domestically on WN with a long layover. Will my inbound boarding pass be enough to get me access to the GF lounge, or must I also be connecting to UA?
Lounges are departure lounges. There is a limited exception UA has in place if you are connecting UA GF to a domestic UA flight with no GF where they will allow you into the GF lounge on the connection.

But you are not connecting to a UA flight so the exception does not apply to you.

Of course, if one were to buy a refundable ticket on UA for a flight that day, they could enter the GF lounge and then call and cancel the refundable ticket . . .

Originally Posted by st530
What about LHR? GS arriving in UA BF connecting on *A in C class intra-Europe. Thanks.
Should not be permitted access to the GF lounge, but I would try by arguing UA doesn't fly the intra-Europe route. Worst they will say is no.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lkar
I will be arriving at SFO flying GF from FRA. I am then flying domestically on WN with a long layover. Will my inbound boarding pass be enough to get me access to the GF lounge, .
Yes
as the wiki states
A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL.
Originally Posted by st530
What about LHR? GS arriving in UA BF connecting on *A in C class intra-Europe. Thanks.
As the wiki states
A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:41 am

SFO Arrivals lounge or GF Lounge for shower

Though the United site does not list showers in the GF Lounge in SFO ( http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx) reports indicate there are in fact 2 showers in this lounge. I arrive in GF SYD-SFO, and my connection is a 787 SFO-IAH that typically is a plane that arrives from Asia (Chen du or Osaka), so departs from the international terminal to IAH.

My question is should we hit the showers at the arrival lounge or use the ones at the GF Lounge? Last time we used the arrivals lounge several years ago they had been rode hard and put up wet, and thought perhaps the ones in the GF Lounge may be in better shape, plus it'd be one stop vs. 2. Arriving at 9:30am and have global entry if that makes a difference.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by docbert
You will need to be on an outgoing UA flight (any class).

The Arrivals lounge is also out as you'll be arriving too late in the day.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes
as the wiki states

As the wiki states
Lol. Well, I guess we'll have just to give it a try.

WineCountry, your answer is more consistent with my experience, where I have only had to hand over my inbound boarding passes, although I don't know whether they are checking anything in their terminals about my ongoing flight. Then again, at least as of a few months ago, the staff at the top of the GF lounge in SFO are not the most accommodating sorts, so perhaps they will check my itinerary and then inform me they are not an arrivals lounge. I'll give it a try a report back. Worst case, I use the Amex lounge.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by MIGU
Is there a GFL in EWR?
No GFL in EWR nor in IAH

A bit weird in that UA does operate some 3-class international flights from EWR, and if the GFL is a benefit for GS pax traveling in C, then they ought to add the lounge at these two hubs. But no signs of them doing so.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
You can at least use the Global Services check in lobby & security line at EWR.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Having just experienced the SFO and JFK "GlobalFirst" lounges again in the last few days, I have to chuckle at all the fuss over getting into these places. Why are people getting so worked about getting (or missing out on) Cup Noodles (retail price $0.60) and stale pita chips?

By contrast, even the regular (i.e. not First class) Lufthansa lounges have real soup, not to mention bratwurst and real beer on tap.

Today, my son tried to talk me into going to the regular UC, because he actually likes it better. But for the outside chance that they might have something other than old cold-cuts, I would have given in.......
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; ITA Platinum; HH Gold
Access to United Global First Lounge in Heathrow T2 with United BusinessFirst ticket

We're flying from Heathrow to Newark to start our honeymoon in May this year.

This will be our first time flying United in a number of years. The flight to Newark doesn't have a First Class cabin, therefore we are in business. Is there anyway we would be able to enter the Global First Lounge instead of the standard United lounge? Or is there anyway I could request it?

Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by walmon1977
We're flying from Heathrow to Newark to start our honeymoon in May this year.

This will be our first time flying United in a number of years. The flight to Newark doesn't have a First Class cabin, therefore we are in business. Is there anyway we would be able to enter the Global First Lounge instead of the standard United lounge? Or is there anyway I could request it?

Thanks
If you're a Global Services member, then you'd have access. If not, and just flying regular BusinessFirst, then unfortunately, no access and you can't request it.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
If you're a Global Services member, then you'd have access. If not, and just flying regular BusinessFirst, then unfortunately, no access and you can't request it.
Well, you CAN request it, but there is something approaching 100% probability that you would be refused.

Nit picker Bill
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I flew home from LHR in January. First time ever on UA. Having been in the Virgin lounge at LHR before i thought to myself that there was no way that this would be even close. I was pleasantly surprised! The regular UA lounge at LHR is far nicer than EWR, SFO, HKG, and ORD combined! It was recently redone and reminds me of some of the nicer lounges I've experienced in Singapore and Narita. Funny thing is that the UA agents are aware of this and commented on my "WOW" as i left.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by eyuro
I flew home from LHR in January. First time ever on UA. Having been in the Virgin lounge at LHR before i thought to myself that there was no way that this would be even close. I was pleasantly surprised! The regular UA lounge at LHR is far nicer than EWR, SFO, HKG, and ORD combined! It was recently redone and reminds me of some of the nicer lounges I've experienced in Singapore and Narita. Funny thing is that the UA agents are aware of this and commented on my "WOW" as i left.
Presumably you mean first time ever on UA from LHR, as otherwise it would be difficult to be a UA 1k MM as your profile suggests! Of course, the lounge is looking great as it's absolutely new, along with the whole terminal which is still very shiny.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by jchock1
Though the United site does not list showers in the GF Lounge in SFO ( http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx) reports indicate there are in fact 2 showers in this lounge. I arrive in GF SYD-SFO, and my connection is a 787 SFO-IAH that typically is a plane that arrives from Asia (Chen du or Osaka), so departs from the international terminal to IAH.

My question is should we hit the showers at the arrival lounge or use the ones at the GF Lounge? Last time we used the arrivals lounge several years ago they had been rode hard and put up wet, and thought perhaps the ones in the GF Lounge may be in better shape, plus it'd be one stop vs. 2. Arriving at 9:30am and have global entry if that makes a difference.
To answer my own question, we showered at the arrivals lounge. The arrivals lounge was nicer than my recollection and the staff was very nice, friendly and efficient. Proceeded to the GFL lounge, and though spacious and comfortable, not much to write home about. There were 2 showers there next to the bathroom, but both were locked so I couldn't check them out. Staffing seemed minimal in the GFL, so glad we hit the arrivals lounge as that's what they're set up for.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jchock1
To answer my own question, we showered at the arrivals lounge. The arrivals lounge was nicer than my recollection and the staff was very nice, friendly and efficient. Proceeded to the GFL lounge, and though spacious and comfortable, not much to write home about. There were 2 showers there next to the bathroom, but both were locked so I couldn't check them out. Staffing seemed minimal in the GFL, so glad we hit the arrivals lounge as that's what they're set up for.
I've used the showers in the GFL. Spacious and well-equipped, but it does get humid and steamy. I did have to wait for a staff person to unlock the door as the lounge dragons won't lift a finger for you other than to dial the staff, but as you noted the GFL does seems a little thinly staffed.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Just got back from my first time at the new LHR GFL. In terms of food and service, I think it's on a par with most European and Asian airlines' FCLs (LH FCT excepted). In terms of layout, it lacks the private resting areas of, say, the cabanas at the CX lounges in HKG, the TK int'l lounge in IST, or BA's CCR. But it's by far the best thing in the UA system. Also, the new LHR UC is perhaps the best UC in the system (only HKG is comparable).

One big shortcoming... the GFL should serve real orange juice like all the others I've mentioned! No more of that flavorless stuff served on any BUF-EWR morning flight.
[end first world rant]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.