Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by kthpence
Yes, it's well known that SFO's UA IFL is the best in their system (at least from what I've read and IMO), however the original question that was asked was whether or not it was worth 30k more miles plus not using (assumedly free) access to the Centurion Lounge. Do you think it's worth it is the 30k extra miles?
Throwing away 30,000 miles to get access to a mediocre first class lounge is definitely NOT worth it. Every single GF flight I've ever been on has been lackluster.

I'd take SQ C over UA F.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyinjer
Departing PVG on UA836 in Global First on Monday and am wondering what lounges I will have access to at PVG?

If it makes any difference, I'm currently Premiere Platinum.

Thank you in advance.
You will have access to the Air China First Class Lounge in Terminal 2.

Premiere Platinum is not a factor; just the departing First Class on a Star Alliance flight gets you access.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:00 am

Flying GRU-ORD-PWM in GF / Domestic F.

Two questions:
1 I found this:
http://triptipsandbits.com/airport-l...-paulo-brazil/
Is there a separate First lounge than the new SA lounge in GRU?

2. Do we get access to the GF Lounge in ORD?

I am UA/*G and a Club Member, but I don't think that matters, as the GF ticket trumps.

Thanks!
JG
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by n2bspld
Flying GRU-ORD-PWM in GF / Domestic F.

Two questions:
1 I found this:
http://triptipsandbits.com/airport-l...-paulo-brazil/
Is there a separate First lounge than the new SA lounge in GRU?

2. Do we get access to the GF Lounge in ORD?

I am UA/*G and a Club Member, but I don't think that matters, as the GF ticket trumps.

Thanks!
JG
I can't help with GRU lounge, but you will definitely have access to the Global First Lounge at ORD.

Arriving on United metal in Global First is the criteria you meet. (Does not apply if you were on other *A metal, but on United metal you get access on arrival).
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:36 pm

Thanks for your help goodeats, can anyone help with GRU?
Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by n2bspld
Thanks for your help goodeats, can anyone help with GRU?
Thanks!
There is the *A lounge

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...nge-sao-paulo/ (see site for details)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ounge-gru.html
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks, the new lounge looks nice. I read (link above) there was a separate first lounge' trying to determine if this is the case. No biggie, I'll find out when I get there.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:11 pm

Flying ANA First Class, NRT-ORD, then continuing domestic.

Will I have access to UA Global First Lounge in Chicago? (I think the answer is no.)
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Flying ANA First Class, NRT-ORD, then continuing domestic.

Will I have access to UA Global First Lounge in Chicago? (I think the answer is no.)
I was in the lounge today and a couple came in who just arrived from FRA on LH in F (after UA put them on LH from their cancelled flight) and they were denied entry. (They were in UA F too.)

They were pissed and I really couldn't blame them. The excuse was they flew on LH metal. And they really didn't like the condescending attitude from the supervisor who was called in to handle it. Pathetic.

So basically, no is the answer to your question.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was in the lounge today and a couple came in who just arrived from FRA on LH in F (after UA put them on LH from their cancelled flight) and they were denied entry. (They were in UA F too.)
Hmm . . . if I had the choice UA GF + GFL access on arrival vs. LH F and no GFL access on arrival, guess which one I'd choose
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly

They were pissed and I really couldn't blame them. The excuse was they flew on LH metal. And they really didn't like the condescending attitude from the supervisor who was called in to handle it. Pathetic.

So basically, no is the answer to your question.
Thanks. I didn't think I would, but, thought I would ask.

And if I was that couple I would have not been happy about no entry, but...

Originally Posted by Kacee
Hmm . . . if I had the choice UA GF + GFL access on arrival vs. LH F and no GFL access on arrival, guess which one I'd choose
Absolutely. And if they had any time at the LH FCT or FCL it adds icing on the cake... or caviar in this case.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Last edited by porciuscato; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
This week I'll be taking my 1MM trip to TXL with my 10-year old son, traveling BF

On the return leg, he will theoretically become a GS member. He might become it in reality, if I can request the companion status while enroute.
Your miles will need to post first and then you will need to request the companion status.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by porciuscato
This week I'll be taking my 1MM trip to TXL with my 10-year old son, traveling BF

On the return leg, he will theoretically become a GS member. He might become it in reality, if I can request the companion status while enroute.

Who wants to take bets on whether he will be admitted with me to the ORD GFL on the outbound leg? And the SFO GFL on the return leg?

What if I unleash the GS Truculent Glare(tm)?
If you get ones of the good agents you won't have any issues - otherwise it could be a battle - keep the TG in check for something that really matters....
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a perfectly fine GlobalFirst flight out of ORD last week, including a Mercedes pickup at the gate to be taken directly to the GFL. I had a multi-hour connection, so it was a bit unexpected, but nice.

The lounge...meh.

It was a bit crowded at first at my 9AM arrival, but thinned out once the first bank of Asia departed. Seems there is only 1 steward on duty to take care of the lounge. With 30 or so guests, he was not keeping up.

The champagne was OK, but I was served the same champagne on a later Business Class flight on Thai.

I tried the "made to order" menu for some quiche, and was served four little tarts that were straight off the Sam's Club sample tray.

Table next to me complained several times about the food on offer, including milk that was spoiled (?..or at least sour tasting).

Probably nothing new in any of this for regular ORD GFL visitors, but underwhelming in the whole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.