Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by domzals1
Any thoughts fellow FT'ers?
Change to a flight where you can get an upgrade. It's your honeymoon, isn't it?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
Change to a flight where you can get an upgrade.
To HNL? From ORD? That's a problem.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
connect through SFO, LAX or DEN. It's a honeymoon. Which won't start off well in a 10 wide 777.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
connect through SFO, LAX or DEN.
You say that as if SFO, LAX, or DEN is an easy, or even reasonably likely upgrade. Those days are over. HNL has become very very difficult. And of course the hub-to-hub connector from ORD is nearly impossible.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:20 am

You say that as if SFO, LAX, or DEN is an easy, or even reasonably likely upgrade. Those days are over. HNL has become very very difficult. And of course the hub-to-hub connector from ORD is nearly impossible.
If it was my honeymoon, I'd be sucking it up and buying up into F. YMMV.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Take 39AB. Won't be any worse than 16FG. Plus you get the sheer entertainment of watching people (try to) figure out how to open a bi-fold lav door.

David
LOL - that's a decent selling point in itself!

Change to a flight where you can get an upgrade. It's your honeymoon, isn't it?
connect through SFO, LAX or DEN. It's a honeymoon. Which won't start off well in a 10 wide 777.
I knew it was going to be a tough upgrade, and quite honestly, wasn't willing to risk playing upgrade roulette on the West Coast to maybe get a domestic first UG when there was a direct flight from ORD. DEN-OGG isn't running, and the DEN-HNL loads at time of booking (and currently) are fuller than ex-ORD. Throw in the fact that we're doing an unprotected connection to intra-island, and it seemed like a no-brainer at the time. With all of the horror stories about the 10 abreast Y, though, maybe not quite as clear cut at this point. Hindsight is always 20/20.

If it was my honeymoon, I'd be sucking it up and buying up into F. YMMV.
Unfortunately (which I use tongue-in-cheek as we are extremely lucky to be able to take these kinds of trips) we did an ORD-SYD trip this year to visit one of her sisters, so the vacation budget was already blown. I think we were looking at another $1500+ per person to buy into F. Just not in the cards this year, honeymoon or not.

I will count my lucky stars, though, as we cleared into C on the LAX-SYD-LAX legs in May.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:20 am

With all of the horror stories about the 10 abreast Y, though, maybe not quite as clear cut at this point. Hindsight is always 20/20.
None of the options are great for upgrading 2 pax. I wouldn't second-guess your call. With the nonstop, at least the flight will be over much quicker than if you were connecting. And you're going to Hawaii!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
None of the options are great for upgrading 2 pax. I wouldn't second-guess your call. With the nonstop, at least the flight will be over much quicker than if you were connecting. And you're going to Hawaii!
Maybe I'm not as up on GPU roulette as I thought, but never would I have thought I would have a harder time clearing a GPU on ORD-HNL on a Monday than LAX-SYD on a Friday. Oh well. The quicker I can get to the islands, the better! Been having all kinds of issues with WP on our HNL-LIH flight, but that's a completely different story.

I'm going to bite the bullet and switch us into 39A+B and pray that there isn't a swap. Either way, I think I've finally found a flight that I'll get a chance to use my surplus of drink chits!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Maybe I'm not as up on GPU roulette as I thought, but never would I have thought I would have a harder time clearing a GPU on ORD-HNL on a Monday than LAX-SYD on a Friday. Oh well. The quicker I can get to the islands, the better! Been having all kinds of issues with WP on our HNL-LIH flight, but that's a completely different story.

I'm going to bite the bullet and switch us into 39A+B and pray that there isn't a swap. Either way, I think I've finally found a flight that I'll get a chance to use my surplus of drink chits!
The problem/challenge with the HNL-ORD flight is a) there's only 1 a day and b) ORD is one of United's superhubs so much of the right side of the country and *A partner elite flyers are transiting back from HNL via that flight as well as the other once a days into IAH and EWR. That and the 772HDs only have 28J seats.

Alas, one of the negatives of flying out of a superhub - you're competing with everyone O&D out of ORD as well as the rest of the UAL/*A world transiting ORD.

David
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Flying tonight ORD to SFO. Plane landed late and they are trying to do a quick turn. cleaning only took 10 min, which means the plane wasn't really cleaned. They filled the F cabin then rolled catering carts from door 2R to the front gally. No pre-departure beverage. Wish they would have just boarded 15 minutes later. A quick turn isn't possible with this configuration. Glad I bought a P fare nonetheless, the Y cabin is miserable when traveling solo.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
My biggest issue with these 777 domestic flights is that they are always running late. The turns are too short and the gate agents can't handle such a large group of passengers. Takes a while to deboard, clean/service, and board, but UA did not make the schedules wide enough to support that.

Also, the gate areas, especially in ORD, are not big enough to handle the gigantic group 1 lines for these flights.

Adding an extra 30 minutes to the HD 777 turns will go a long way.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Flying tonight ORD to SFO. Plane landed late and they are trying to do a quick turn. cleaning only took 10 min, which means the plane wasn't really cleaned. They filled the F cabin then rolled catering carts from door 2R to the front gally. No pre-departure beverage. Wish they would have just boarded 15 minutes later. A quick turn isn't possible with this configuration. Glad I bought a P fare nonetheless, the Y cabin is miserable when traveling solo.
I agree. I'm a plane geek and will usually go for a widebody, but these HD 777s on LAX-DEN-LAX take forever to board for a 1h55m flight. The boarding area at the gate becomes a mess, and people take forever clogging up the portside aisle not knowing how to board a widebody. I will take a 739 over this thing whenever possible.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
How are upgrades handled on ORD/IAH/DEN-HNL? I usually see the trips with +2 blocked upfront. Are those seats truly blocked off for crew rest, or are they released at departure for upgrades?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
How are upgrades handled on ORD/IAH/DEN-HNL? I usually see the trips with +2 blocked upfront. Are those seats truly blocked off for crew rest, or are they released at departure for upgrades?
Those are usually blocked off until T-24 for disabled pax, at T-24 they should open.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
I believe this happens on all UA flights in all cabins (they normally block off two bulkhead E+ seats too) and as N104UA mentioned they are released at T-24 if there are no disabled PAX on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.