Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
I feel your pain. I noticed a reservation switch from a GF-style seat to the configuration you mentioned. I called in saying I was disappointed because I chose "First" for a premium over "Business" and am now in a domestic style first class seat.

The agent, sounding quite sleepy, told me: "Go to united.com and click contact us. Fill out the form to express your concern. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

I hung up, called back, and got an agent who said I could wait for it to possibly switch back, or I could transfer to a non-stop to SFO on a PS flight. I chose to switch to the non-stop.

I am guessing my SFO-HNL will be the 2-3-2 recliners, unless a miracle happens in the next couple of days!
??? This thread is about the 772 HD with lie-flats in front (and 10 across in Y).

The 2-3-2 layout you reference is the Hawaii configuration. The seats are not "domestic style first class seat." They are barcaloungers which are a considerable upgrade over domestic F.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by N515CR
Depending on which studies you read, the backward facing seats are supposedly better for sleeping since aircraft typically fly slightly nose-up, thus keeping your head above your feet. (Not sure I subscribe to that, but I've definitely heard that concept several times).
Not sure about UA, but I know some airlines account for the 3 degree when they install seats. Many seats, tray tables, and beds are made for cruising altitude so they are at an angle when on the ground not in the air.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Kacee, you are correct, I was typing quickly and not specific in my response. Still not what I would choose to fly across the country. Hawaii, I expect them. I had plenty of choices in flights; I would definitely take them over the true domestic first class seat.

My point overall was about how some agents are willing to switch flights and others are not.

I'm flying for work in a few months and am scheduled on a domestic 777 and am wondering what the chime situation will be.

Last edited by Micp3208; Oct 22, 2016 at 1:15 pm
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by DA201
Not sure about UA, but I know some airlines account for the 3 degree when they install seats. Many seats, tray tables, and beds are made for cruising altitude so they are at an angle when on the ground not in the air.
Some planes are also slightly nose-down on the ground, so you'd need to be extra careful to be measuring relative to aircraft floor (and not absolute) to determine this. A330 is a prime example, not sure about others.

Admittedly on the ground that's the opposite direction, so you'd actually be extra sloped on the ground.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by televisor
Some planes are also slightly nose-down on the ground, so you'd need to be extra careful to be measuring relative to aircraft floor (and not absolute) to determine this. A330 is a prime example, not sure about others.

Admittedly on the ground that's the opposite direction, so you'd actually be extra sloped on the ground.
Also not a huge issue on the ground since seat is upright and tray table has to be locked.

QF excepting since you can go flat on their A330s on the ground
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pthwk
My question is for anyone who has been on one of these planes...if I can snag a window seat, is the legroom limited at all by the curvature of the plane, like an E145?
The 777 has flatter walls than the E145, due to the much larger fuselage barrel. I don't notice any intrusion of the cabin wall even on the smaller 767.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
The 777 has flatter walls than the E145, due to the much larger fuselage barrel. I don't notice any intrusion of the cabin wall even on the smaller 767.
However, because it's a 3-4-3 777, you won't have as much lateral space - both for shoulders and just moving your arms around. It's a while since I've last been in a 3-4-3 777 (thankfully...), but the 3-3-3 787 has very little lateral space in window seats - resulting in my feeling rather cramped, whereas an A320 has a decent amount of room (1-2") beyond the armrest, meaning I can move more freely (the extra seat width helps too).

For me it's a noticeable difference when eating, drinking, reading, or trying to use a laptop.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott (refuse to say Bonvoy) Plat, Le Club Accor Plat, Ntl EE
Originally Posted by televisor
However, because it's a 3-4-3 777, you won't have as much lateral space - both for shoulders and just moving your arms around. It's a while since I've last been in a 3-4-3 777 (thankfully...), but the 3-3-3 787 has very little lateral space in window seats - resulting in my feeling rather cramped, whereas an A320 has a decent amount of room (1-2") beyond the armrest, meaning I can move more freely (the extra seat width helps too).

For me it's a noticeable difference when eating, drinking, reading, or trying to use a laptop.
Despite throwing an RPU at this problem, it didn't clear and F is now full. I was able to snag a window seat but after reading your post I will keep checking for an aisle.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Despite throwing an RPU at this problem, it didn't clear and F is now full. I was able to snag a window seat but after reading your post I will keep checking for an aisle.
An aisle seat isn't much better. The narrow seat prompts you to lean into the aisle for relief, and then you get repeatedly hit by serving carts and people. to all the airlines that adopt this miserable, customer unfriendly seating arrangement.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by halls120
An aisle seat isn't much better. The narrow seat prompts you to lean into the aisle for relief, and then you get repeatedly hit by serving carts and people. to all the airlines that adopt this miserable, customer unfriendly seating arrangement.
Unfortunately, it looks like SQ is one of the last, if not the only, holdouts on this trend. (BA still has acceptable 777s, but their 787 is a torture chamber - IIRC they decided to add outdated IFE boxes to add to the delight in that aircraft.)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott (refuse to say Bonvoy) Plat, Le Club Accor Plat, Ntl EE
I'm sitting on UA769 ORD>SFO as we speak. No less than 250 "dings" and boarding hasn't even completed. I've been guilty twice myself. The call button hits EXACTLY where my elbow naturally sits.

On the bright side, the tablet holder is a great addition.

On the downside, these seats are as cramped as I've ever seen. Everyone just looks awkward and uncomfortable. Overhead bin space was full by end of Group 3.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Talking

I'm sitting on UA769 ORD>SFO as we speak. No less than 250 "dings" and boarding hasn't even completed. I've been guilty twice myself. The call button hits EXACTLY where my elbow naturally sits.

On the downside, these seats are as cramped as I've ever seen. Everyone just looks awkward and uncomfortable. Overhead bin space was full by end of Group 3.
I think the lack of overhead space for the extra passengers this plane can hold was the main cause of the delay of my flight last week. People blocking aisles wandering around looking for space.

The tablet holder seemed good for those who could use it. I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 so even with the keyboard removed, it was too big. Maybe next time I'll bring some duct tape with me.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite

I just saw you fly over. It looked really low as it came by. Must be a full flight and heavy on cargo. The tablet holder is great but the rest is just bad. Put a pillow under your elbow, thats the only way I was able to stop myself from hitting the button.

Why UA continued configuring more aircraft without a solution is speechless.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I'm hoping this image uploads correctly. This is a picture of the armrest of a AC 787 in coach, that I flew on in August. The call button is right there at my elbow. I did accidentally hit it at least once, but noticed no dings during the flight.

Do you think the difference is that AC turns off the dings? Apparently the arm-rest call button is not limited to United.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Why UA continued configuring more aircraft without a solution is speechless.
Is it really? Lol, it sounds exactly like UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.