Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I got switched a couple of week ago on a 777 from ORD to SFO. I selected the flight because of the 2 seat (window, aisle) configuration. I was eventually even able to get an exit row window.

The day before departure the aircraft was swapped. UA eventually put me in 18A with no other available seats when I looked.

I hoped for an upgrade, but I was #36 on a list of 78.

At first I really felt crammed in. I was also annoyed that Group 2 was the last to board. Yes, they boarded Group I through Gate A and 2, 3, 5 through door B. Finally, they let Group 2 board through door A. We had to walk through the first class cabin and merge at door 2 with Group 2 - 5 that was already in the aisle.

After stewing for a while, finally had to convince my self that this is UA, and I had better get used to the new configurations. At least we had pillows in Y and blankets (thick sheets, really).

Once I got in the frame of mind that this is a "first world" problem, the flight was OK. I got there on time, I survived, and I am here to tell about it!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by N104UA
It is not false advertising as it is clearly stated in the Contract of Carriage which you agreed to when you purchased the ticket on United, if you didn't read them that is your loss. I would also argue that I would be more upset with United if I purchased a lie flat first class seat and it was downgraded to a recliner first class seat.

Rule 4(D) "Seat assignments, regardless of class of service, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. UA reserves the right to reseat a Passenger for any reason"

and
Rule 24(A)(3) "Schedules are Subject To Change Without Notice - Times shown on tickets, timetables, published schedules or elsewhere, and aircraft type and similar details reflected on tickets or UA’s schedule are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract"

I'm very familiar with the contract of carriage. And yes, I am aware that there is significant flexibility in what a carrier is allowed to do with regards to getting someone from point A to point B.

With that said, since you were being pedantic: if you want to put a lawyer hat on, be aware that FTC and courts would not let a one sided consumer facing contract override fair business practices. Systemically providing customers false information (United presenting incorrect seat maps and flight information when they know this information is incorrect - i.e., not just that it may change in the future with reasonable cause, but that it has already changed) would easily fall under misleading advertising if the information is considered relevant to consumer decision making. In this case, given the relative rarity of this event (and the fact it is probably more a delayed IT update / glitch than anything) would mean that it would not qualify as systemic, but if it was more pervasive it would definitely be considered false/misleading advertising by the FTC/courts - regardless of whether the contract of carriage would appear to absolve United of responsibility.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes that, and the fact that the HD has 4 fewer F seats (28 vs. 32) are undoubtedly driving the aircraft assignment in the reservations system. These flights are all currently subject to swaps due to the mixed fleet. By showing the 32 F recliner seat map, they avoid disappointing pax who complain "but I booked a lie-flat." At the same time, by booking F only to 28, they ensure they won't have to downgrade 4 pax if it's the HD version with lie-flats. Definitely no nefarious purpose on UA's part.

This was my hypothesis as well, but their systems are booking for 336 Y tickets. As soon as I noticed the change on my aircraft, I looked at switching my routing through ORD (which I knew also flew the 9 abreast seating originally). That flight had also just swapped to the v5 configuration. And lo and behold, it only had 2 Y fare availability. I doubt that they managed to sell 18-22 additional Y tickets to make up the seat difference in a few hours. Unless they were overbooking the original flight by 15-20 seats more than they are overbooking the current flight, it appears that they were selling for 364 seats: 28 in F and 336 in Y.

Certainly possible (overbook the old configuration by 20 in expectation that they switch to the v5, and just in case they don't they keep F happy by ensuring they aren't bamboozled) - but that's not exactly great practice either. Understand the operational difficulties of running a transitioning fleet, but just seems like poor management on UA's end either way.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ethernal
With that said, since you were being pedantic: if you want to put a lawyer hat on, be aware that FTC and courts would not let a one sided consumer facing contract override fair business practices.
The FTC has no jurisdiction over air carriers.

And good luck bringing a lawsuit on the ground that UA swapped you from one version of the 772 to another.

their systems are booking for 336 Y tickets
There is no way for you to know that unless you have access to internal UA data.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think it's perfectly reasonably to overbook Y by 20 in case of a ~55% and growing chance of 77G swap. It's a much larger cabin to shuffle things around in, and generally speaking you don't get angry pax from VDBing a few people the way you do if you downgrade paid F.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:08 pm

Just booked my first UA trip for 2017, a visit to the North State to visit my mother. On these trips, I fly IAD-SFO on Thursday, and return home on Sunday. For the past 17 years, that would have normally been the first nonstop of the day, currently UA 408 on a 777. Because I'm not chancing a switch to the 10 wide slaveship configuration, For the first time in 17 years, I chose a one stop flight back to IAD.

Yes, I detest the new configuration that much.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:19 pm

The FTC has no jurisdiction over air carriers.

And good luck bringing a lawsuit on the ground that UA swapped you from one version of the 772 to another.
Yes - you're right - the FTC does not have oversight with airlines (which is why I added "/courts" - it was a general statement about one sided contracts overruling fair business practice). And obviously yes, you're right that there is no way one would bring a suit over such a change - my point was that if it was a systemic practice (i.e., happened regularly and willfully) then there would be a case regardless of what the contract of carriage said. I was not at all trying to claim that I would go and file a complaint - I was responding to pull{ing} out the CoC in response to me saying that I felt like it was false advertising.

There is no way for you to know that unless you have access to internal UA data.
Yes, although based on the ORD-HNL route, it is clear they are massively overbooking Y knowing that they can pull in the v5 if required.

Originally Posted by findark
I think it's perfectly reasonably to overbook Y by 20 in case of a ~55% and growing chance of 77G swap. It's a much larger cabin to shuffle things around in, and generally speaking you don't get angry pax from VDBing a few people the way you do if you downgrade paid F.
Fair point. It's intentional by United and probably their best move to maintain fleet flexibility. Still, doesn't change the fact that it annoys me to no end.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2017 at 9:32 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Since these are domestic flights, the seats are almost exactly the same size as 737, where if you sit in a window seat, you will be in exactly the same situation. Are those who are avoiding this plane also completely avoiding 737s? Pretty hard to do on United flying domestically.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Since these are domestic flights, the seats are almost exactly the same size as 737, where if you sit in a window seat, you will be in exactly the same situation. Are those who are avoiding this plane also completely avoiding 737s? Pretty hard to do on United flying domestically.
I had the same thought. Putting aside the call button issue, I think I'd take the HD 772 in Y over a 739. The widebodies are quieter and feel much more spacious.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I had the same thought. Putting aside the call button issue, I think I'd take the HD 772 in Y over a 739. The widebodies are quieter and feel much more spacious.
100% agree! I was on another today SFO-ORD, I was in First, but I originally was in Y, and picked this over the other choices. They just need to fix the call button on version 5. Version 6 is much better. Even though I was in First, I still heard the call button today.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I'm very familiar with the contract of carriage. And yes, I am aware that there is significant flexibility in what a carrier is allowed to do with regards to getting someone from point A to point B.

With that said, since you were being pedantic: if you want to put a lawyer hat on, be aware that FTC and courts would not let a one sided consumer facing contract override fair business practices. Systemically providing customers false information (United presenting incorrect seat maps and flight information when they know this information is incorrect - i.e., not just that it may change in the future with reasonable cause, but that it has already changed) would easily fall under misleading advertising if the information is considered relevant to consumer decision making. In this case, given the relative rarity of this event (and the fact it is probably more a delayed IT update / glitch than anything) would mean that it would not qualify as systemic, but if it was more pervasive it would definitely be considered false/misleading advertising by the FTC/courts - regardless of whether the contract of carriage would appear to absolve United of responsibility.
UA only schedules planes a few days out (a week at max) and all the time they change in the time frame. So UA does not have false advertising as they honestly do not know what aircraft will be on that route when you book. As they reconfigure more and more a/c with the 28F config this problem will go away. They did the same thing when they introduced the lie flat on the international fleet starting in 2006, better to upgrade your F/C product than to downgrade it.

If UA would require that the 32F config flew ORD-SFO for a certian flight you may be waiting for a long time until one can naturally cycle through ORD which would cause a delay and make more people upset than someone not getting the 2-5-2 configuration. If you were that upset about the change you could have always contacted UA and asked for a flight change to a 737 on a different nonstop.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:59 am

Living in Atlanta I have the advantage of getting to often fly Delta's MD-88 and MD-90's with 18 inch seat widths. If I have to fly West Coast in Y I aim to get an MD-88/90 for this reason unless I can expect to get an empty seat next to me. Anything over 2-3 hours I try to avoid 737-x for the seat width issue (and these 777 actually have .1-.2 less than those). There's a huge difference between a 2-3 hour domestic hop and an 8-9 hour marathon. Sitting in a 17" seat means no laptop use (too rude to neighbor).

Different things for different folks. My chest size is 47-48" with shoulders that are 21-22" in width (I am not fat - BMI is ~24 - but 6' 4" with broad shoulders) so the extra width isn't trivial.

I have no problem paying extra for more space, but going from Y to F (or J on int'l) seems excessive in most cases when all I need is an extra inch or two. I happily pay for true premium economy with a 19"+ seat width when it's available. Just frustrating all around (especially in this case as I specifically picked this routing for the 18.3" seats) but I guess this is the way the industry is going and, as others have pointed out, buyers always beware...

Originally Posted by N104UA
UA only schedules planes a few days out (a week at max) and all the time they change in the time frame. So UA does not have false advertising as they honestly do not know what aircraft will be on that route when you book. As they reconfigure more and more a/c with the 28F config this problem will go away. They did the same thing when they introduced the lie flat on the international fleet starting in 2006, better to upgrade your F/C product than to downgrade it.

If UA would require that the 32F config flew ORD-SFO for a certian flight you may be waiting for a long time until one can naturally cycle through ORD which would cause a delay and make more people upset than someone not getting the 2-5-2 configuration. If you were that upset about the change you could have always contacted UA and asked for a flight change to a 737 on a different nonstop.
Understand the scheduling logistics but let's be careful calling the 8-abreast lie flats an upgrade over the old 7-abreast recliners for some people. My upgrade on my return flight (which still shows the recliners) cleared, and I am ambivalent about whether they do a plane swap to the v5 even though it's a redeye. 19" seat width in J is a joke, which is why I never fly BusinessFirst (err, sorry, Polaris) on a United 777. The old recliners were 7 across with 22" width. No point in lying flat if you can't fit.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2017 at 1:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:05 am

If I'm not buying discount F, the A320 is my go-to option. On my upcoming trip, UA has priced F on the 777 $1300 more than on other aircraft, so I'm connecting. They've lost their marbles if they think the barcalounger is worth that much money for a 4.5 hour flight.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:47 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I've noticed on the long flights I'm looking to book ORD-HNL-ORD, that there are no seats blocked for crew rest. Wasn't 1BC supposed to be blocked for crew use? I think I even recall seeing them blocked early on last time I was possibly going to fly the new config. (I haven't yet, so I don't know).

Can I select them without worry?

Additionally, what's best for a party of three that includes a youngster? Take 3 of 4 in the center or a window pair with a cross aisle? (Thinking that, because won't be so bad to have aisle access instead of me being the guy in the middle). How do they line up compared to other aircraft with these seats? Would 2BCD or 3BCD be good, or are they misaligned like they are on the 747's forward upper deck?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Additionally, what's best for a party of three that includes a youngster? Take 3 of 4 in the center or a window pair with a cross aisle? (Thinking that, because won't be so bad to have aisle access instead of me being the guy in the middle). How do they line up compared to other aircraft with these seats? Would 2BCD or 3BCD be good, or are they misaligned like they are on the 747's forward upper deck?
I think there's an argument for 3 seats together in the center section. Sharing the middle two seats with your child seems like a decent arrangement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.