Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
This thread is about the new domestic 777's not the 777-3.
There WILL be the occasional equipment substitution for the 777ER. It's inevitable.

"Everyone" isn't doing it. BA isn't. DL isn't. CX isn't. And as long as there are 18" Y seats available, that's where I'll take my business
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:00 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Interesting to note that 1AB seems to be rear facing to 2AB. Not clear if there will be a partition between row 1 and 2.
Shouldn't be. Similar layout on the current pmUA international 777s.

I find the whole layout annoying...I don't understand why they can't have each row (all 8 seats) going in the same direction. All of the aisles will have the person across the way staring directly at you, an aisle width away. To me, this is the most annoying part of the current pmUA configuration...It's that way on the 767, 777 and the forward LD 747 cabin--and the reason I try to fly only on the 747, upstairs or in row 10. I hate having people stare at me or vice versa the whole flight (or at least the feeling thereof).
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Interesting to note that 1AB seems to be rear facing to 2AB. Not clear if there will be a partition between row 1 and 2.
The partition is where the footwells are. They may or may not still have TVs on the partition (as they do now), I read some comments that said they were going all-PDE.

Originally Posted by halls120
How many 739s fly 10-14 hour legs non-stop? It's one thing to put up with a 17" seat for 5-6 hours, but for double the time? Really? I've done it once on AF, and I will never do it again if I can help it. So that means that once these seats roll out, I'm booking away from UA 777 (and 787) unless I can secure an upgrade at purchase.
These planes won't be doing more than about 9h.

The 77W, OTOH, will be doing 14h+ trips packed just like this: 28J between door 1&2, and 10 abreast in the back.

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Shouldn't be. Similar layout on the current pmUA international 777s.

I find the whole layout annoying...I don't understand why they can't have each row (all 8 seats) going in the same direction. All of the aisles will have the person across the way staring directly at you, an aisle width away. To me, this is the most annoying part of the current pmUA configuration...It's that way on the 767, 777 and the forward LD 747 cabin--and the reason I try to fly only on the 747, upstairs or in row 10. I hate having people stare at me or vice versa the whole flight (or at least the feeling thereof).
The reversed-across-the-aisle actually minimizes staring at each other. If they were the same direction across row 1, you'd be staring at the person in row 2, a much smaller angle away from straight ahead than the person across the aisle from you in row 1.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
These planes won't be doing more than about 9h.
Nine hours of agony if the seat next to you is occupied.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
There WILL be the occasional equipment substitution for the 777ER. It's inevitable.

"Everyone" isn't doing it. BA isn't. DL isn't. CX isn't. And as long as there are 18" Y seats available, that's where I'll take my business
I'm pretty sure DL will be next. No way around it really. The 777 goes from a great aircraft in Y, to an awful one. I'm not defending UA, but this is the new norm. I'm not connecting in ATL to fly DL, and I'm sure others near a UA hub won't either.

Hopefully the A350 will be a more comfortable config.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As far as upgrades, do Golds or Silvers get upgraded on ORD-SFO as it is today? I doubt it.
I'm not talking about Golds and Silvers . . . with that J/Y ratio, no one is going to get upgrades. And F will be difficult to purchase in the discounted buckets (P, Z) anywhere within a month or two of departure.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
The 777 goes from a great aircraft in Y, to an awful one.
Hear, hear!

Although, IMO I'd probably rephrase it to:

"The 777 goes from a decent aircraft in Y, to an awful one."
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Hopefully the A350 will be a more comfortable config.
It will fall in the middle at 9 abreast. It's narrower than the 777 and wider than the 787.

10 abreast isn't really viable except on configurations like the charter carriers who stuff 9 abreast in the A330 or 8 in the 767.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2 MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold

Agree on both points - take your business elsewhere is the smart move. If anyone cannot see the obvious, there is a group at United working to really screw over the frequent and infrequent traveler. With respect to the frequent traveler it was painfully obvious with the new upgrade policy in January 2016 which prioritized upgrades based on fare price first, status second. That policy was abruptly reversed in February 2016. This airline is out of control. They are becoming the Spirit Airlines of the long haul carriers right before my eyes. I have been flying AA out of Denver exclusively for the last 7 weeks as a trial Ex Plat, and it has been an enlightening if not completely wonderful experience. My advice to UA FF's, RUN, don't walk to either DL or AA. The Management team at UA is a mess and we are suffering the consequences. Those who believe Oscar Munoz will restore credibility, good luck with that. He is back now and this press release confirming the seating change came out today. I have absolutely no confidence he can or will fix this mess. I invested 1,940,000 miles and wish I had quit after the merger (my mistake) which has been a disaster. With this recent public confirmation, I am now 100% certain I will no longer fly this train wreck. In fact if I have to connect through Damascus Syria or Beirut to get from Denver to Chicago as long as it's not on United, I will absolutely do so.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Treeskier
With respect to the frequent traveler it was painfully obvious with the new upgrade policy in January 2016 which prioritized upgrades based on fare price first, status second. That policy was abruptly reversed in February
Wasn't it discussed ad naseum and came to pass that it seemed you were the only person who thought this based on what GA mentioned?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
... In fact if I have to connect through... Beirut to get from Denver to Chicago as long as it's not on United, I will absolutely do so.
Beirut is beautiful this time of year. You can still go up to the mountains and do some skiing, too!!!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
My advice to UA FF's, RUN, don't walk to either DL or AA. The Management team at UA is a mess and we are suffering the consequences. Those who believe Oscar Munoz will restore credibility, good luck with that. He is back now and this press release confirming the seating change came out today. I have absolutely no confidence he can or will fix this mess.
So because of this new seating configuration, you're suggesting people take their business to AA who is also changing their 777s to 10 across?
And if you think UA management is a mess, just wait until you experience the USdbaAA management version of "changes you will like"

Last edited by Austin787; Mar 21, 2016 at 9:44 am
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I notice EWR-LAX has a 772 on it when I randomly checked it on 7/6. I wonder if this is one of those birds?

Any confirmation from UA or other sources about AVOD? Verdict seems to be hazy and/or unconfirmed.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not talking about Golds and Silvers . . . with that J/Y ratio, no one is going to get upgrades. And F will be difficult to purchase in the discounted buckets (P, Z) anywhere within a month or two of departure.
Sounds like a blast from the past...the mid to late 90s when UA last had a big domestic feeder network.

The 747-100 was the high density bird of the day.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/813468-post3.html

"The 747-100 is also flown at 3:35pm from ORD to SFO. Try and avoid this at all costs. 42 F + 408 Coach make it very difficult to upgrade even as a 1K (clears morning of departure) This flight then goes on to honululu"
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Sounds like a blast from the past...the mid to late 90s when UA last had a big domestic feeder network.

The 747-100 was the high density bird of the day.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/813468-post3.html

"The 747-100 is also flown at 3:35pm from ORD to SFO. Try and avoid this at all costs. 42 F + 408 Coach make it very difficult to upgrade even as a 1K (clears morning of departure) This flight then goes on to honululu"
My first reaction to reading that was, "Wow, UA was still flying the 747-100 fairly recently."

My second reaction was, "Wait...1999 was 17 years ago!"

(Third reaction was..."Flyertalk was around in 1999?")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.