Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 1:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Now, here's a random thought: Why doesn't UA provide a program on the iPhone to process meal orders? F/A would simply go through the cabin and ask "1st and 2nd choices, please," and go to the galley and press a button and -- voila! -- a list of who won which entree, based on the company's criteria and maybe even more granular, e.g. give a Gold passenger their entree choice over a Silver, etc. With such a program, they could additionally collect real-time data on which entrees are most/least popular. And, even see when a GS or 1K doesn't get their 1st choice and issue an apology e-mail and/or an ETC?
Currently in Late-Alpha/Early-Beta testing. Wider rollout to beta testers to come as the bugs are worked out. I'd imagine a system wide rollout by Q3, but that's a total guess (in other words, don't quote me on it)
Old May 13, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AC SE
United Express flight for YYC-SFO last week on a E175. No pax boarded during the GS pre-board, and 3 pax boarded during the 1K pre-board including myself. Meal options offered were chicken salad or pasta salad for rows 1-2, but by the time she got to me in 3A, it was only pasta salad being offered for rows 3-4. I'd asked about the chicken salad, and she said said she'd run out.

UA Express carriers seem to be far worse at prioritizing meals, as they seem to just go back to front, and rather than asking for first choice, it seems quite common for the FA's to just allocate the options as they go and by the time they get to row 3-4, there's often only one choice.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gcashin
United Express flight for YYC-SFO last week on a E175. No pax boarded during the GS pre-board, and 3 pax boarded during the 1K pre-board including myself. Meal options offered were chicken salad or pasta salad for rows 1-2, but by the time she got to me in 3A, it was only pasta salad being offered for rows 3-4. I'd asked about the chicken salad, and she said said she'd run out.

UA Express carriers seem to be far worse at prioritizing meals, as they seem to just go back to front, and rather than asking for first choice, it seems quite common for the FA's to just allocate the options as they go and by the time they get to row 3-4, there's often only one choice.
Did you remind the FA you were 1K and entitled to your meal choice and she would need to give you the chicken and figure it out for the other customers?
Old May 13, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you remind the FA you were 1K and entitled to your meal choice and she would need to give you the chicken and figure it out for the other customers?
When this happens I innocently ask “Oh do you no longer prioritize meals based on status?”
Works every time and with an apology as well.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I did and after some grumbling, and glares, I was able to get a salad with chicken. First she said "there's a lot of 1K's on board", and I noted that only 3 of us boarded with the 1K pre-board call and asked if she could check. Eventually she gave me the chicken salad, but she was clearly annoyed that I'd questioned the front-to-back meal prioritization, and had got herself into an awkward situation by committing the meals without checking status.

She didn't make any effort to offer PDB's either despite having plenty of time to stand around the galley, so she didn't seem to care too much.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...and had got herself into an awkward situation by committing the meals without checking status....
Gee, one would hope she would learn from the situation she put herself in. If she had correctly asked for 1st choice and also asked if 2nd option would do if 1st choice wasn’t available, she’d have been in a less uncomfortable position. As she did it, she (probably) had to go back to another customer and say “You can’t have the choice you thought you had coming”.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Gee, one would hope she would learn from the situation she put herself in. If she had correctly asked for 1st choice and also asked if 2nd option would do if 1st choice wasn’t available, she’d have been in a less uncomfortable position. As she did it, she (probably) had to go back to another customer and say “You can’t have the choice you thought you had coming”.
Actually, she probably said: "You can't have your choice because this prima donna 1K DYKWIA in 3A wanted the chicken and forced me to give it to him. He wouldn't stop complaining so I had to do it. Blame him."

(Actually, this happened to me once. I overheard the FA and while it was not those exact words, it was close.)
Old May 13, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I did and after some grumbling, and glares, I was able to get a salad with chicken. First she said "there's a lot of 1K's on board", and I noted that only 3 of us boarded with the 1K pre-board call and asked if she could check. Eventually she gave me the chicken salad, but she was clearly annoyed that I'd questioned the front-to-back meal prioritization, and had got herself into an awkward situation by committing the meals without checking status.

She didn't make any effort to offer PDB's either despite having plenty of time to stand around the galley, so she didn't seem to care too much.
I hope you reported it to UA ...
Old May 13, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
First she said "there's a lot of 1K's on board", and I noted that only 3 of us boarded with the 1K pre-board call and asked if she check
I'm not saying this was the case, but not every 1K pre-boards (prefer to wait until later), or perhaps lined up in BG1 not realizing they could pre-board (lots of people not on FT really don't know all rules). That said, I really like the "oh, do you no longer give preference to GS and 1K status?"
Old May 13, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Actually, she probably said: "You can't have your choice because this prima donna 1K DYKWIA in 3A wanted the chicken and forced me to give it to him. He wouldn't stop complaining so I had to do it. Blame him."

(Actually, this happened to me once. I overheard the FA and while it was not those exact words, it was close.)
She did have go go back to another customer, so didn't hear exactly what was said, but I wouldn't be too surprised.

Originally Posted by cfischer
I hope you reported it to UA ...
I generally don't write in about small stuff, and I did get my meal choice, but I may consider writing in, as it was a bit annoying/awkward. I did get a post-flight survey and noted it there, although I'm sure those comments get aggregated at a pretty general level. She also didn't offer PDB's, so not a huge deal either, but it wasn't great service.

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I'm not saying this was the case, but not every 1K pre-boards (prefer to wait until later), or perhaps lined up in BG1 not realizing they could pre-board (lots of people not on FT really don't know all rules). That said, I really like the "oh, do you no longer give preference to GS and 1K status?"
Yeah, I know there could have been other GS/1K's, but YYC-SFO is not a 1K heavy route in my experience. I think there were only 2 pax left on the upgrade list after all the upgrades cleared, and there were plenty of Plat/Gold/Silver bag tags in the cabin. While I'm not certain, I'd be willing to bet that the pax in the first two rows that were offered a two meal choices were not all 1K and GS.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been my recent experience that FAs already know my status when taking my meal order or during drink service on single cabin UX flights.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I find it very difficult when an FA says they only have one option to ask the above question or some variation of it - and not sound like a DYKWIA, particularly if her response is that there are a large, but unspecified, number of GS/1K's sitting ahead of me.

I'm on a flight tomorrow, where I'm in the last row/right side in FC (which are the last two seats they get to when taking meal orders). Do you think I'd have any luck if I went up to the GA before boarding, mentioned that I'm a 1K in the back of FC, and ask how many GS/1K flyers are in FC? (Assuming FC checked in full.) If it's a low number, I'd be more likely to push back. If it's 3/4 of the seats, then better to hedge my bets and buy something in the terminal.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I find it very difficult when an FA says they only have one option to ask the above question or some variation of it - and not sound like a DYKWIA, particularly if her response is that there are a large, but unspecified, number of GS/1K's sitting ahead of me.

I'm on a flight tomorrow, where I'm in the last row/right side in FC (which are the last two seats they get to when taking meal orders). Do you think I'd have any luck if I went up to the GA before boarding, mentioned that I'm a 1K in the back of FC, and ask how many GS/1K flyers are in FC? (Assuming FC checked in full.) If it's a low number, I'd be more likely to push back. If it's 3/4 of the seats, then better to hedge my bets and buy something in the terminal.
IMO, that's boarderline DYKWA and I'm not sure how many agents will be willing to answer (personally: there are some throughout the system that I know well enough I'd feel comfortable asking--but likely wouldn't--and if I didn't already know the agent anyway I wouldn't feel comfortable asking). Watching the 1K/GS PB groups is probably the best way to judge approximate elite loads. As a picky eater, I feel your pain but would assume at least one if not both of the options will be borderline inedible and depending on my hunger level either pre-game in the terminal or request something from the back -- and have never had an issue with either, save for the occasional "So you've heard about my cooking, haven't you?" from a FA
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:21 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Questions about paid domestic F, particularly row 5

I fly IAD or DCA-DEN multiple times/year (family issues). I generally buy F if it's less than 2x E (which it is at most of my chosen times).

I also prefer the last row (5 on a 737) because I simply cannot bring myself to recline into someone else's space (my problem, not the subject of this post).

My questions regard meal selection and service. On EVERY flight this year I have been told "all we have left is...". Didn't meal selection used to be offered to paid pax before upgraders? Didn't UA occasionally start at the back of F even when they did not go by paid vs. upgrade? Does status even matter any more?

Regarding service, sitting in the back I see that those in the front are continually waited upon. FAs seem to ignore the back rows upon even the most trivial requests from rows further forward. Example, someone in row 2 asks for another drink, then someone else in row 2 asks for another drink, etc., and I have to push the call button (which I really don't like to do) just to get a little attention. I generally just walk up to the galley with my empty glass (but then I have to climb over my seat opponent because I prefer a window).

Comments? Solutions?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 21, 2019 at 5:08 pm Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
It's supposed to be determined based on status as follows (without regard to fare class):

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers (no difference between $$$ or mileage or upgraders)
4. Nonrevs

Orders to be taken front to back with prioritization in the galley.

On service, OP do you usually sit aisle or window?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 21, 2019 at 5:07 pm Reason: cleanup after move; thanks or the link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.