Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by CMK10
How is it improper catering? It's not like an airline knows "8 people will order X and 4 people will order Y" on this flight. Mathematically it makes sense to do 6 and 6.

What would be nice is if United would move to preordering like AA and DL do as it would cut down on issues.
You would think it's loaded 50/50 (hot/cold meals) but on a recent flight it wasn't. I almost never pay attention to the food catering since I'm a 1K and 99% of the time get asked for my meal choice before most people.

On a 12 F cabin flight they loaded 4 salads and 8 hot entrees. The salads were gone by row 2 (I took the last one) and everyone else in row 2 (E/F) and row 3 were stuck with the hot option or something from the back. So at least on this flight it was a catering miss since quite a few wanted the salad and not the hot chicken option.

I don't know how often these "glitches" happen or if they're even glitches in the first place. UA must have decided 4 salads and 8 hot meals was the "right mix" for that flight. Or, catering screwed up and loaded the flight wrong. Good thing the FA tends to count their meals/type before offering them up to passengers.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Apr 11, 2019 at 10:54 am Reason: Typo "least"
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You would think it's loaded 50/50 (hot/cold meals) but on a recent flight it wasn't. I almost never pay attention to the food catering since I'm a 1K and 99% of the time get asked for my meal choice before most people.

On a 12 F cabin flight they loaded 4 salads and 8 hot entrees. The salads were gone by row 2 (I took the last one) and everyone else in row 2 (E/F) and row 3 were stuck with the hot option or something from the back. So at lease on this flight it was a catering miss since quite a few wanted the salad and not the hot chicken option.

I don't know how often these "glitches" happen or if they're even glitches in the first place. UA must have decided 4 salads and 8 hot meals was the "right mix" for that flight. Or, catering screwed up and loaded the flight wrong. Good thing the FA tends to count their meals/type before offering them up to passengers.

-RM
I would actually have been shocked if it was catered 50/50 -- I would expect something like 75/30 (note the very slight over-catering) based on historical data of preferences. That said, I'm not sure how accurate that data is given that many people will accept the 2nd option even if it's not their preference.

But just because all of them have been requested by Row 1 doesn't mean (if you're a 1K/GS you can't get your preference) -- the policy is still to front-to-back requests and ask for preference then to sort in the galley if requests outnumber availability. Given my general pickiness (and odd tastes) I haven't experienced, to my knowledge, bumping someone or being bumped -- but half the time I'd prefer the Classic box anyway.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

On a 12 F cabin flight they loaded 4 salads and 8 hot entrees. The salads were gone by row 2 (I took the last one) and everyone else in row 2 (E/F) and row 3 were stuck with the hot option or something from the back. So at lease on this flight it was a catering miss since quite a few wanted the salad and not the hot chicken option.
That actually looks like the right mix to me - I'm hard pressed to think of a flight where salads are so heavily requested over a hot item like chicken. 50/50 would really surprise me and I'd be less than thrilled with a salad as my meal.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by mdbe
If not offered the 1st choice and don't really want the 2nd, I quietly remind the FAs that I'm 1K and am supposed to be getting my first choice. Believe it or not sat down next to a GS that had no idea of this benefit and was constantly getting the left overs because she preferred the last row in F.
Because some GS don’t fly much.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Because some GS don’t fly much.
And some GS and 1K who do fly a lot but aren't status enthusiasts likely don't know because I can't recall the policy having been officially communicated to the audience -- it's not listed as a benefit in https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx nor is it even hinted at in https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...y-benefit.aspx (not that I'd really expect it to be -- but I'd expect if it were anywhere there would be a hint of it somewhere on one of these two)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
It's not like an airline knows "8 people will order X and 4 people will order Y" on this flight. Mathematically it makes sense to do 6 and 6.
That is not even close to being true, "mathematically" or otherwise.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I still almost never even get asked for a second choice.
It's just: "What do you want for your main meal, and what do you want for breakfast?"
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by narvik
I still almost never even get asked for a second choice.
It's just: "What do you want for your main meal, and what do you want for breakfast?"
That's my observation two weeks ago on UA2 SIN-SFO flight, FA asked almost everyone (1A, 1B, 1D, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 3D) second choice except me(2D). First I was a little surprised then I thought it maybe due to my 1K status.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I almost always got my first choice even as a Gold but then I usually only do 1 international trip a year.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That actually looks like the right mix to me - I'm hard pressed to think of a flight where salads are so heavily requested over a hot item like chicken. 50/50 would really surprise me and I'd be less than thrilled with a salad as my meal.
Just flew IAH-ORD on 738 (16 F seats), and there were 6 salads / 10 hot (both chicken), yet 10 people ordered salads. And that was even though I was sat in 4F, could see the attendant was in trouble, and ordered the noodles. A couple passengers in row 1 opted for snack boxes instead of the hot item.

However, looking at the aggregate of my experiences, I would say that catering has the right mix more often than not.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by tryathlete

i don’t know but you’re in the back row of F on a regional jet and you’re complaining about a meal? I get it—prioritization never happened, but it’s a partner not mainline and I suspect it’s a crapshoot at best.
It's not all that big of a deal. I do believe however that the policy for prioritization applies across the regional fleet (in addition to mainline). So too did UA who gave me $125 ETC .
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
And that there is classic United. A purser empowered to totally disregard procedure while in a position created for the very function of overseeing and enforcing procedure. And she knows she’s wrong (a five year old knows GS always gets first choice) — but just does it anyway. No pride in doing it right and doing it well.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:50 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Given that the airlines take analytics on everything in hopes of shaving a few $ here or there, you'd think they'd have data that on the last 100 flights or so 80% of the cabin generally picked choice X over choice Y, so perhaps they cater more of that one instead of 4 of each
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I would actually have been shocked if it was catered 50/50 -- I would expect something like 75/30 (note the very slight over-catering) based on historical data of preferences.
I'd be highly surprised if the folks who determine the meal ratios get much, if any, feedback from crews. Where else would they get historical data?

These days, with the company-issued iPhones the F/As have, it might be easier to convince some F/As to give feedback. If you think to the pre-iPhone days, do you *really* think any sizable number of F/As would bother to submit feedback on how meal orders went?

Now, here's a random thought: Why doesn't UA provide a program on the iPhone to process meal orders? F/A would simply go through the cabin and ask "1st and 2nd choices, please," and go to the galley and press a button and -- voila! -- a list of who won which entree, based on the company's criteria and maybe even more granular, e.g. give a Gold passenger their entree choice over a Silver, etc. With such a program, they could additionally collect real-time data on which entrees are most/least popular. And, even see when a GS or 1K doesn't get their 1st choice and issue an apology e-mail and/or an ETC?
Old May 7, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Similar experience this week to several above:

Mrs & I seated in 2CD on E175 with 12F seats. No GS pre-boarded and we were the only 2 to pre-board as 1Ks (we were the first people in the F cabin).

After takeoff FA asked 1A "Salad w/Chicken or Pasta Salad?" "Chicken"...same with 1C, 1D, & 2A...all asked for Chicken.

She gets to us and asks Mrs_msg what she would like (Mrs is Plat, I'm 1K)... she asks for Chicken.

FA turns to me and says, "Sorry she just got the last chicken. Would you like the pasta salad?"... "Ummm, if that's my only option."... "Yeah, she just got the last one."

Now, of course I would let the Mrs get whatever she wanted of the 2 choices, but that's beside the point. The FA obviously went front to back (what if there was a GS that boarded late in 4A?).

While in the scheme of things no big deal, is it still that hard to follow procedure? I can't believe that there's an FA in the system who has not been briefed on this, so at this point apathy/indifference is the only logical conclusion.

On a deeper note, since SAFETY is the first priority of the flight crew, knowing this FA's attitude and disregard toward basic customer service procedure, I wouldn't have full confidence in her handling of safety procedures should they be called upon.

Last edited by msg75; May 7, 2019 at 11:50 am Reason: typo
Old May 7, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
For whatever reason, it seems much, much more difficult for crews to do meal priority correctly when the second choice is also the last choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.