Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Flying D1 redeye SFO-BOS on Friday, and was just offered the option of pre-selecting from three pretty good looking options (beef tenderloin, chicken piccata, black truffle ravioli).

UA, why can't you allow us to pre-select? And why can't you serve a real meal on flights departing after 9 pm?
Until UAs sees the imminent need to compete ... they won't. BOS-SFO, while perhaps a slow start, is now pretty routinely selling out in J much like EWR-SFO and with the frequency they offer, it really isn't a competition ... so they can get away with not offering the same benefits competitors do on their red-eyes. Until DL and AA routinely offer meal pre-orders ... UA won't go down that road, we all know they copy when needed but never innovate.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
If not offered the 1st choice and don't really want the 2nd, I quietly remind the FAs that I'm 1K and am supposed to be getting my first choice. Believe it or not sat down next to a GS that had no idea of this benefit and was constantly getting the left overs because she preferred the last row in F.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
Until UAs sees the imminent need to compete ... they won't. BOS-SFO, while perhaps a slow start, is now pretty routinely selling out in J much like EWR-SFO and with the frequency they offer, it really isn't a competition ... so they can get away with not offering the same benefits competitors do on their red-eyes. Until DL and AA routinely offer meal pre-orders ... UA won't go down that road, we all know they copy when needed but never innovate.
With that rationale, UA need not offer lie flats, either. Yet they do.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
With that rationale, UA need not offer lie flats, either. Yet they do.
yeah, sure ... and they followed ... as usual. Mint came first as far as I recall and then UA decided it was time to make BOS-SFO a premium market. Otherwise they could have not competed on this route and they knew that damn well.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:33 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
I know this policy is a YMMV policy, but recently my mileage has varied tons. On my past five flights, I've been towards the back of the cabin, and been told there was only one choice, one time being told "I'm sorry, all we have left are snack boxes from the back." Today, when I said "hmm, that's odd" (about only having one choice) the f/a went back to the galley and came back and said "Oh, I'm sorry, can I get your first and second choice" :/ My anecdotal experience is that maybe the f/as need a refresher on this policy.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:31 pm

Interesting thread. I don't fly UA often, and I initially came here to research if UA allowed pre-ordering of meals a month ahead of time like AA does. I now realize they don't. And worse, as a non-rev flyer using points for business class CDG-LAX, I guess I'll get last choice on the meals!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Interesting thread. I don't fly UA often, and I initially came here to research if UA allowed pre-ordering of meals a month ahead of time like AA does. I now realize they don't. And worse, as a non-rev flyer using points for business class CDG-LAX, I guess I'll get last choice on the meals!
Nonrevenue does not mean award fliers. They are prioritized after GS/1K, just like someone on a paid ticket. Last priority is non-revs, meaning employees/buddy pass riders/OAL employees.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington
Nonrevenue does not mean award fliers. They are prioritized after GS/1K, just like someone on a paid ticket. Last priority is non-revs, meaning employees/buddy pass riders/OAL employees.
Oooops. thank you Fezz. I mis-read the wiki.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by CO DCA
...one time being told "I'm sorry, all we have left are snack boxes from the back." Today, when I said "hmm, that's odd" (about only having one choice) the f/a went back to the galley and came back and said "Oh, I'm sorry, can I get your first and second choice" :/ My anecdotal experience is that maybe the f/as need a refresher on this policy.
I've seen meals "suddenly" becoming available after the initial selection process. Always assumed it was that either 1) someone changed their mind, or 2) someone ultimately declined their meal altogether.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was asked for a second choice sitting in row 1 on BOS-SFO yesterday. I wanted the eggs (quiche) not a bunch of sugary carbs (brioche french toast or cereal). I had a sense from lack of pre-boarders there were very few GS/1K on board. Told FA "no second choice." She said, "so nothing?" I just smiled. Got the quiche.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
Is the meal prioritization any different on UA Express vs. Mainline? Currently on a UA Express flight in row 4 on an E175; options I'd heard up to row 3 were beef salad or chicken wrap, but I was only offered the chicken wrap sitting in row 4. I'd asked whether 1K's were supposed to get first choice, and the FA said "we stopped doing that a few months ago, priority is front to back now." There weren't a lot of preboards, as no one boarded during the GS call, and I was the only one to board during the 1K preboard call, so doesn't seem like an elite heavy flight.

Is the policy different on UA Express, or is this just an FA making up something instead of admitting she didn't follow priority? Even after questioning, I didn't get my first choice.

EDIT: caught a quick glance at the manifest on a trip to the lav, and confirmed what I'd expected. There was one other 1K, and a handful of Gold/Silver/No Status pax, so definitely not a cabin full of 1K/GS.

Last edited by gcashin; Nov 21, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by gcashin
Is the meal prioritization any different on UA Express vs. Mainline? Currently on a UA Express flight in row 4 on an E175; options I'd heard up to row 3 were beef salad or chicken wrap, but I was only offered the chicken wrap sitting in row 4. I'd asked whether 1K's were supposed to get first choice, and the FA said "we stopped doing that a few months ago, priority is front to back now." There weren't a lot of preboards, as no one boarded during the GS call, and I was the only one to board during the 1K preboard call, so doesn't seem like an elite heavy flight.

Is the policy different on UA Express, or is this just an FA making up something instead of admitting she didn't follow priority? Even after questioning, I didn't get my first choice.
FA definitely making something up. You should write in, if only to make sure this FA is trained/reminded of the proper procedure.
It amazes me when FA's try to pull a fast one on a 1K or GS. Don't they realize that the higher elites usually have extensive experience in UA policy/procedures ??

Last edited by FlyngSvyr; Nov 21, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by gcashin

Which is where you say, "Oh, thanks for letting me know! I'm a travel reporter for a major broadcast outlet and will be reporting and quoting you, based on this flight. May I have your name, please?"
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
FA definitely making something up. You should write in, if only to make sure this FA is trained/reminded of the proper procedure.
It amazes me when FA's try to pull a fast one on a 1K or GS. Don't they realize that the higher elites usually have extensive experience in UA policy/procedures ??
Thanks for confirming. I was pretty sure she was making something up that belongs in the "biggest whopper you've heard from an FA" thread, but wanted to check if UA Express plays by different rules. I've wrote into 1Kvoice.

Originally Posted by wxguy
Which is where you say, "Oh, thanks for letting me know! I'm a travel reporter for a major broadcast outlet and will be reporting and quoting you, based on this flight. May I have your name, please?"
I'll have to keep that one in my back pocket for next time! ;-)
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was on an E75 meal flight last weekend (MCI-EWR) and it was the same thing: F/A just took orders from 1A to 4D with no prioritization.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.