Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Yes, but any passenger paying $7k is more likely only be paying $7k once. Meaning it is her only UA flight of the year or very few in number (or i assume some sort of status would be accrued).

GS/1K members spend >$7k a year, year after year. Often times in multiples of that.

Would you value one person who spends only $7k a year on one flight? Or one person who spends at least $12k a year on you, year after year. I can understand why UA has a policy like this.
#1 Wrong. I (my company) spends $6k+ every time I fly paid TATL/TPAC. And it is not once a year.
#2 Last I checked minimum spend for 1K is $12k per year. I spend well in excess of that and don't always make 1K GS of course is based on spend so I wager they are often buying expensive fares.
#3 As stated above my view (even as 1K) is that upgraders should go to the back of the food choice line regardless of status. I understand others have different views. I very much doubt anyone is going to pull their business regardless of the procedure as UA FAs often fail to prioritize 1k/GS (as detailed in this thread) and the food is really a small factor for most people when choosing flights.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by malgudi
A big chunk of FT would be dead space if UA ever got their act together
Just think of how much time we'd all get back.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: NZ *E
I don't understand why upgraders aren't prioritized behind paid F passengers.

In my case, I'm an NZ*G so get no priority at all (even though I easily fly the 1K level of mileage on UA alone) -- I've actually started just buying whatever domestic first product is convenient because of this (and liking the AA preordering system!)

(Slightly ranting since when they cut back from the two hot meals a year of or ago, meal choice actually matters!)
Old May 2, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
#3 As stated above my view (even as 1K) is that upgraders should go to the back of the food choice line regardless of status. I understand others have different views.
I'm in but only because I am a mid-tier elite buying paid F. Recently I've missed my first choice or barely squeaked by.

I felt differently when I was a 1K, but there was a time when F was also prioritized near the top with 1K. That was a nice balance.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:21 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
... there was a time when F was also prioritized near the top with 1K. That was a nice balance.
I’d normally agree, but have you folks seen an upgrade list lately? Almost everyone, at least on midcons is paid F. My 753 referenced above had exactly one upgraded person in it. I even see ORD-LAS flights go out with two, one or none upgraded on it.

If we’re talking true “F” class, then that opens up a whole new argument. “I paid for an Z fare but apparently only full F (or A or J or whatever other higher domestic “First Class booking code”)allegedly qualified for first meal choice”. In reality, any “paid” first fare takes us back to square one.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; May 2, 2018 at 10:01 pm Reason: To fix aircraft type from 773 to 753.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

Have you seen an upgrade list lately? Almost everyone, at least on midcons is paid F. My 773 referenced above had exactly one upgraded person in it. I even see ORD-LAS flights go out with two, one or none upgraded people on it. In reality, any “paid” first fare takes us back to square one.
Yeah. I referenced this in another thread, but on my EWR-LAX on Sunday there was only one upgrade as a reservation cancelled earlier in the day. There were 5 1k and 2 GS in the J cabin. If everyone is paid then going by status is the deal breaker.

Oddly enough I have had empty seats in F on other airlines, but no go on UA.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I’d normally agree, but have you folks seen an upgrade list lately? Almost everyone, at least on midcons is paid F. My 753 referenced above had exactly one upgraded person in it. I even see ORD-LAS flights go out with two, one or none upgraded on it.
Indeed - I'm flying to DC next Monday and half the SFO-WAS flights are already sold out up front. So is the SFO-ORD 753 I'm on (SFO-ORD-DCA because the nonstop was full F for all of the last three weeks).

But really they could just have several decent options and it would be okay for most people, I think. The meal cuts have made all of this so much worse.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
As stated above my view (even as 1K) is that upgraders should go to the back of the food choice line regardless of status.
If we're going to play that game, I might take the position that since I spend personal funds for premium cabin, I should have meal priority over those who are spending OPM.

But of course that's nonsense

Even though virtually all my front cabin tickets are now paid (out of my own pocket), not upgrades, I still believe that UA's policy on meal priority is fair and appropriate and I'd be disappointed to see it altered. 1Ks do earn their perks, limited as they now are.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
If we're going to play that game, I might take the position that since I spend personal funds for premium cabin, I should have meal priority over those who are spending OPM.

But of course that's nonsense

Even though virtually all my front cabin tickets are now paid (out of my own pocket), not upgrades, I still believe that UA's policy on meal priority is fair and appropriate and I'd be disappointed to see it altered. 1Ks do earn their perks, limited as they now are.
Here here! I mean aren't the people who are traveling on OPM the same as non-revs? They are both getting free flights via their employer.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by samjnz
I don't understand why upgraders aren't prioritized behind paid F passengers...
A GS who spends $100,000 on business tickets upgrades with a GPU into PN on a vacation trip. If I want to avoid any slight to that customer, I’m gonna give that customer his/her choice. This argument is endless. Both sides have valid points.

By limiting meal catering and not having pre-order, UA has created the problem and doesn’t seem to want to solve it. UA, for good or bad (dependent on who you are and how you got into the cabin), has decided to avoid antagonizing it’s best customers while it continues its self-imposed bad situation.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

A GS who spends $100,000 on business tickets upgrades with a GPU into PN on a vacation trip. If I want to avoid any slight to that customer, I’m gonna give that customer his/her choice. This argument is endless. Both sides have valid points.

By limiting meal catering and not having pre-order, UA has created the problem and doesn’t seem to want to solve it. UA, for good or bad (dependent on who you are and how you got into the cabin), has decided to avoid antagonizing it’s best customers while it continues its self-imposed bad situation.
Part of me wonders how much the meals can actually cost -- they certainly don't seem to spend more than $10 given the catering quality these days. If they just provided 3 or so extra meals a lot of this angst could be avoided for sure!
Old May 3, 2018, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by samjnz
Part of me wonders how much the meals can actually cost -- they certainly don't seem to spend more than $10 given the catering quality these days. If they just provided 3 or so extra meals a lot of this angst could be avoided for sure!
While not taking sides, with UA operating 4,500 flights daily -- and guessing maybe 2,000-2,500 flights serve meals, this may amount to more than it seems at first

Using a lower number, others have quoted of $8 per meal times 3 extra times the lower 2,000 meals per day times 365 days == $17.5 million -- not an insignificant number. I would many might prefer that to be used to raise the quality of the food.

One way would be to cover some expense by selling the extra meals on the aircraft, but that would create an inconsistent supply issue and perhaps complaints "I ask for but was denied the opportunity to purchase a first class meal: threads.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
I find that many times they don't even go by medallion level when doling out food - too much work. I have complained about it but once you get the food its too late. Its great when people don't follow the rules and they impact you and then call you a cry baby when you complain. Love it.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TheMan
I find that many times they don't even go by medallion level when doling out food ....
If you are referring to UA flights and based on your profile, UA Gold -- you have no special meal priority. Only GS and 1Ks have meal priority based on status. See thread's wiki for more.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
I AM 1K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.