Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
IAH/AMS on Thanksgiving. Unknown man next to me(middle 2 of a 76something). Mr. Denver, what would you like ? Me, nothing said. And FA left. I went to ask why I was skipped and to say he was nothing to me. He didn't correct her and it was the only time I have seen anyone in business with feet in the pod wall. He was very short so maybe instead of raising the footrest, he needed to prove he could reach the wall.

First, she went with the status thing until she realized her mistake. Nice to get an apology but I am very tired of the assumption that any male passenger next to me is either travling with me or the person with the status. Is it still 1960 ?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Thanks for sharing. For the paper manifests, when you say 'full F or Y fare', I assume that is literally referring to the F or Y fare bucket? What would attendants do with that information?

The upgrade list on domestic, non-(formerly-)ps flights shows any upgrade via any method (RPU,CPU,MUA), and the list for int'l and ps flights shows any upgrade confirmed at or after T-24hr.
That's my assumption as well, but short of going up to the passengers and asking, I can't think of way to confirm. For full Y, would that factor into a potential battlefield upgrade? If so, that might explain it - we're given the first couple names on the list to "help the GAs" (read: confirm they're following the list) when they need to upgrade someone last minute.

No idea why F is mentioned. There's a ton of stuff on the paper manifests that isn't usually needed anymore (i.e. passenger count tables).

Thanks for the list explanation. When I was on the other side of things, I only ever made MP Silver, so it never really mattered for me.

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
IAH/AMS on Thanksgiving. Unknown man next to me(middle 2 of a 76something). Mr. Denver, what would you like ? Me, nothing said. And FA left. I went to ask why I was skipped and to say he was nothing to me. He didn't correct her and it was the only time I have seen anyone in business with feet in the pod wall. He was very short so maybe instead of raising the footrest, he needed to prove he could reach the wall.

First, she went with the status thing until she realized her mistake. Nice to get an apology but I am very tired of the assumption that any male passenger next to me is either travling with me or the person with the status. Is it still 1960 ?
Sorry... I guess old habits die hard for some -- we're not really supposed to skip around the cabin like that anymore, either. Hopefully you made her realize that she should stop assuming things.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, that is annoying. I have noticed more than a few FA’s only reading so far as the row number and then relying on their unconscious biases to sort out which seat occupant they’re supposed to be talking to. Obviously not all, but some.

Originally Posted by fezzington
That's my assumption as well, but short of going up to the passengers and asking, I can't think of way to confirm. For full Y, would that factor into a potential battlefield upgrade? If so, that might explain it - we're given the first couple names on the list to "help the GAs" (read: confirm they're following the list) when they need to upgrade someone last minute.

No idea why F is mentioned. There's a ton of stuff on the paper manifests that isn't usually needed anymore (i.e. passenger count tables).

Thanks for the list explanation. When I was on the other side of things, I only ever made MP Silver, so it never really mattered for me.

Sorry... I guess old habits die hard for some -- we're not really supposed to skip around the cabin like that anymore, either. Hopefully you made her realize that she should stop assuming things.
Interesting, thanks. ^
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

The exact same thing happened to me several months back, with the exception of the feet in the pod wall.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Baffled again. I am on UA980 IAD DEN. It's a 787 and I am in row 3. The group 1 boarding line was not all that long. I was told there was only one beef salad left with another women next to me. I said I wanted it. The other woman was offered jambalaya and I was asked if I wanted it as second choise. I said no. The other woman said only if it wasn't too spicy. Lo and behold, we both got the beef salad. I'm 1k. I didn't see any GS load early. I realize DC could be heavy on 1K but again, I have to wonder if the menfolks were more likely to get first choice. This felt like a game.

This whole trip was a mileage run to keep 1K for next year(topping off with DEN AKL on 12/29).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

Originally Posted by SS255
The exact same thing happened to me several months back, with the exception of the feet in the pod wall.
Baffled again. I am on UA980 IAD DEN. It's a 787 and I am in row 3. The group 1 boarding line was not all that long. I was told there was only one beef salad left with another women next to me. I said I wanted it. The other woman was offered jambalaya and I was asked if I wanted it as second choise. I said no. The other woman said only if it wasn't too spicy. Lo and behold, we both got the beef salad. I'm 1k. I didn't see any GS load early. I realize DC could be heavy on 1K but again, I have to wonder if the menfolks were more likely to get first choice. This felt like a game.

This whole trip was a mileage run to keep 1K for next year(topping off with DEN AKL on 12/29).
Interesting. My flight LAX-LHR in November I was asked my meal choice. #1 was either pork (which I do not eat) or beef (which I prefer not to eat), chicken, fish (but a white fish like Halibut I think and I do not eat that fish but do eat salmon/sardines/mackerel ), pasta (but lasagne which I do not eat but love the mushroom ravioli when it is available ) and a salad which as it was a red eye I did not really want salad and it had shrimp/prawn and I have the worst luck with dodgy shrimps. So I say I would like the chicken and she asks for my second choice and I say I do not really have one. She then tells me she only has a couple of chicken meals available so it is unlikely I will get chicken. (I then quietly say I am a 1K as after reading FT understand this priority system and she said she had a number of GS on the flight who much have boarded late as they did not pre-board). So I select the salad as my second choice.

Suddenly everyone around me is ordering the salad, and the guy next to me orders nothing.

I get my meal selection for the flight but think next time I will just eat in the *G lounge and forgo the meal as I do not catch the plane for the food. On the way back LHR-SFO I did not have the meal as I ate in the United Club before boarding so just had the appatizer salad and the cheese plate. However, I did have the cottage pie as an in flight snack - yes it had beef but it tasted so good, although my body knew about it later (red meat does not really agree with me hence why I rarely eat it but it was tasty!).

So I had just put it down to truly more GS but the quoted comments are concerning.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I’ve taken 4 TPACs this year, all 77w and I’ve yet to be asked for a second choice.. a couple times I’ve also heard the FA greet passengers with a “thank you for being Gs/1k/plat/gold/silver” while taking orders. Non-Gs/1k definitely get the 2nd choice question.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:19 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by Chamor
Chamor is on IAD-LAX. Chamor has no UA status but purchased a first class (A fare) ticket. People in front of me and behind me got their first choice meal - the same one I wanted - but I did not. I’m nearly certain they didn’t pay more for their ticket. Many were probably on upgrades. Does UA do meal choices according to status? And status trumps buying a FC ticket?? My experience on AA and DL is they use seat order - from to back or back to front depending on flight number.
Sorry but your logic is flawed. Based on your description DL and AA simply use a different system to decide who gets priority for meals. Status vs. seat order. Which is better, everyone has their own opinion, UA obviously feels status trumps seat order. Price of ticket would be another option but I’m not sure anyone uses that criteria. You are right about the food being institutional at best so it’s not really a big deal, other than the ego thing for some people.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: 3 MMer
I want a hamburger... no, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake...

You'll get nothing, and like it! Spaulding.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I’ve taken 4 TPACs this year, all 77w and I’ve yet to be asked for a second choice.. a couple times I’ve also heard the FA greet passengers with a “thank you for being Gs/1k/plat/gold/silver” while taking orders. Non-Gs/1k definitely get the 2nd choice question.

I have had my seatmate ask me why I didn't get asked for a 2nd choice before....or if they come around and take all the GS/1K orders, then come back later and ask everyone else for their 1st/2nd Choice
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
The other day I was on MEL-LAX and there were 16 GS in Polaris. Needless to say, that threw quite the wrench in the food preferences.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by CO FF
Meal orders were taken in a bizarre fashion: Row 5 (F-A), Row 4 (F-A), Row 3 (A-F), Row 1 (A-F), Row 2 (A-F). They ran out of one of the choices after 1E picked.

Anyone seen that before?
Had not noticed that until today, AUS-ORD, when that very scenario happened. I was seated in 2F (therefore last to order). Before taking my (1K) order, the FA had already determined that no salads remained and gave me and 2E choice of cheeseburger or nothing . Is this a 5-4-3-1-2 order method employed on certain routes?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by onthesam
Had not noticed that until today, AUS-ORD, when that very scenario happened. I was seated in 2F (therefore last to order). Before taking my (1K) order, the FA had already determined that no salads remained and gave me and 2E choice of cheeseburger or nothing . Is this a 5-4-3-1-2 order method employed on certain routes?
hope you got the name to write in
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home

hope you got the name to write in
That was my initial reaction and I do indeed have a name but have decided I'm not going to use up my write-in karma on this one. If anything it'll be some praise:

Tonight made me remember, very fondly, being served United kids' meal cheeseburgers, in the foil wrapper, with toy, as a young child. When not listening to Channel 9, we'd set up our own intercom system by linking together several of the hollow air-tube style headsets. Also, my cheeseburger farts have had the old lady in stitches all night tonight (they make a great sound)! hmmm... maybe I'll send that praise over to the voice...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Doesn't technically apply since I'm referring to an EMB-145 (no FC), but feel it's worth granting an exception this time.

Flew EWR-JAX this past Monday on the 8:50am flight. FA went around the cabin to all the 1K's to take drink orders, served the drinks with a Stroopwaffel, then brought out the cart for the rest of the passengers, offering refills to the 1K's as she went through the cabin. Never experienced that before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.